Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Nook worth it for purely side loading?

I'm seriously considering moving from the iPod Touch as my main reader to a nook. I buy all my books from Fictionwise and have for over 10 years so I have a huge collection of eReader format books to sideload. However, reading some of the threads it seems like the Nook is a hassle to use with sideloaded books. Hard to find titles, etc. I really wanted to put all my books on it, but that is nearly a thousand titles and I don't want it to be a hassle to find something to read or to find a bookmark.

Trying to decide if the Nook is right for me or if I should go through the process of trying to strip the DRM and convert them to ePub and get a Sony Reader.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Blokie
Blokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook
Shouldn't have any issues at all with sideloading - I do exactly the same thing as I'm outside the US.

I would suggest softrooting though, as the library functions provided are better than those provided by default (everything combined as opposed to separating out sideloaded which the standard firmware does).
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I'm seriously considering moving from the iPod Touch as my main reader to a nook. I buy all my books from Fictionwise and have for over 10 years so I have a huge collection of eReader format books to sideload. However, reading some of the threads it seems like the Nook is a hassle to use with sideloaded books. Hard to find titles, etc. I really wanted to put all my books on it, but that is nearly a thousand titles and I don't want it to be a hassle to find something to read or to find a bookmark.

Trying to decide if the Nook is right for me or if I should go through the process of trying to strip the DRM and convert them to ePub and get a Sony Reader.
It's no hassle to operate the sideloaded books. Neither with the standard library, nor with the enhanced/softrooted nookLibrary.
But personally, I'm a bit obsessed by details.
If you use the standard library, you have slightly different menus (no sort by most recent) and can't show covers.
If you use the softrooted/enhanced nookLibrary, you can sort and have thumbnails. But the thumbnalis look differently. If you let nook extract them from the books, they are less appealing than the B&N ones. You can manually add thumbnails for every single book. This enhances the quality, but would you really want to do that for xxx books?
Personally, I mainly (>>80%) use nook for the original B&N books. Then it's a nice experience. And for $ 259, nook really is a catch.
But for the sideloaded books, in my opinion there are more convenient/appealing solutions in the market.
On Kindle for example (although I rank Kindle 2 slightly behind nook, but I've got a different approach with various readers for various needs) I don't see a difference at all, be it sideloaded PDFs, sideloaded Mobipockets or "original" Kindle files.
And: I LOVE the Kindle reader app on iPod touch/iPhone. Wouldn't Kindle 2 be a perfect match?
But still: nook is a great reader, has been a positive surprise.
Of my readers, over all I can recommend: Sony 900, iRex 800, Kindle 2, nook and Cybook Opus. (No specific order, always depends on ones preferences).

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokie View Post
Shouldn't have any issues at all with sideloading - I do exactly the same thing as I'm outside the US.

I would suggest softrooting though, as the library functions provided are better than those provided by default (everything combined as opposed to separating out sideloaded which the standard firmware does).
You know, that you can buy from B&N, although being outside US (from Germany myself)? You don't have to sideload, only because you're outside US.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
If you are thinking about putting 1000 books on a nook you will definitely want to softroot it and use the folder feature in Trook.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Agree with the softroot to handle xxx ebooks.

Softroot is now easy and painless with no negative side effect.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
I only use the nook for sideloading since I am greatly against DRM. Still waiting a bit before I softroot. Right now, I only have a relatively small library of 190 books, so it's not too bad.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I only use the nook for sideloading since I am greatly against DRM. Still waiting a bit before I softroot. Right now, I only have a relatively small library of 190 books, so it's not too bad.
I'm on the same boat, the only thing I miss right now is a "most recent" listing, as I may be reading a couple of books at the same time, a technical one and a "for fun" one, and having to go up and down the listing is not very practical. I'm also considering the softroot approach, but do not have enough books right now to warrant it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Thanks for the feedback. Guess soft rooting is definitely the way I will have to go. I already have all the books set up in Calibre with cover art so I should be able to get them on there with the covers I want.

I'm kind of spoiled by how well Stanza works with Calibre, but would really like an eInk screen as a daytime option.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
AFAIK you can set up nook to feed off the Stanza feed from Calibre. Hasn't it been discussed on this forum?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #11
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I just put several epub books on my brand new Nook STR via calibre. Ran out of space. Not sure how many I added -- probably 100. Initially (and so far) the Nook would not connect to my home wifi network (kept saying on it that my password was wrong -- but it was right). So I can't register it but also cannot access homepage or library, settings or anything else except the access wifi pages.

Very disappointed so far. I always liked the Nook STR when I played with the demo models.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I just put several epub books on my brand new Nook STR via calibre. Ran out of space. Not sure how many I added -- probably 100. Initially (and so far) the Nook would not connect to my home wifi network (kept saying on it that my password was wrong -- but it was right). So I can't register it but also cannot access homepage or library, settings or anything else except the access wifi pages.

Very disappointed so far. I always liked the Nook STR when I played with the demo models.
Ran out of space with only 100 sideloaded epubs? They must have been either scans or really heavy with illustrations. The majority of my epub books are about 1/2 mb in size. Still, you always have the SD card slot for expansion.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I forget how many megabytes of books that were on there, but I was surprise, because most of these are novels. I haven't bought a card for extra books yet, but I think it's limiting how much non-B&N content I can put in the main area. Added them via calibre.

Worse than that is that I can see my library, settings or anything else except the wifi access page (I think I already said this, but this is my main gripe -- can't even see what I put on there, let alone read it.).
Old 12-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I forget how many megabytes of books that were on there, but I was surprise, because most of these are novels. I haven't bought a card for extra books yet, but I think it's limiting how much non-B&N content I can put in the main area. Added them via calibre.

Worse than that is that I can see my library, settings or anything else except the wifi access page (I think I already said this, but this is my main gripe -- can't even see what I put on there, let alone read it.).
The partitioned area for non-B&N ebooks is well-known, yet I would still say 100 epubs should fit without a problem. I believe this area is about 240 - 250mb in size. Comics, magazines, pdf's and scans will be much bigger in file size and will reduce how many will fit. Also any epub that has lots of illustrations. The choice of picture file for the book cover can also affect file size. If you are using calibre, it will show you the file size for each ebook in your library.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
mlewis78
Guru

After I registered my Nook, I could see that I have 161 epub books on it. I think I'll have to buy a micro SD card (SDHC, I think) to add more books. I will delete after I read each one, but 161 isn't a lot of books. I think there is a limitation on books not purchased from them.