Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like to see (and contribute with) book uploads for other e-readers?
Add a new Book Uploads section for multiple formats 21 63.64%
Add a new Book Uploads section specific for the iRex iLiad 12 36.36%
I have handmade public domain books I'd like to upload and share 9 27.27%
I'd love to download handmade public domain e-books 16 48.48%
More comments (please explain in your post) 5 15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Expansion of Book Uploads for the iLiad & for other devices

With already over 350 carefully styled and handmade e-books for the Sony Reader, and brought to life less than 2-1/2 months ago, the Book Upload section has been a phenomenal success. My personal thanks to everyone who has been so fervently contributing up to today!

It's now about time to expand the uploads with formats for other e-book readers. Please take a second to participate in the poll which we will use as an indication how you'd like us to expand the forums. Thanks!

Hint: This is a multiple choice poll.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Books for the iLiad only make no sense. It would be Mobipocket format which is available for many devices.
What we definitely need is the HTML source for the handmade books already available. Ideally with projects to convert them to multiple formats.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the idea of multiple formats. Providing HTML source code is nice, but it alienates those who would love to have the books, but cannot/will not do the conversions themselves. Why not make multiple formats available?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-13-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Personal edification (and egg applied to face)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As the Delphi-Guy said, iLiad uses mobi so if we added another forum for that format it would serve multiple devices. The same reasoning supports the addition of an area for PDB (which in itself can also be used by those that use mobi.)

It seems to me that HTML runs counter to the logic of offering books that people can just load and go. I can easily convert all that I have already uploaded to the Sony area to another format and make them available.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I was assuming the iLiad formatted books would be PDF, I guess.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
MOBI format is all I need, it can be read using MoibiPocket's Reader software on many devices and FBReader on Linux (and Windows XP). Another possibility would be LIT, since many folks will have a procedure for getting .lit files onto their reading device already.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I was assuming the iLiad formatted books would be PDF, I guess.
Assume nothing. (OK, it was a catch phrase from the film Desk Set.)

There is no reason that we cannot do custom PDFs for the iLiad. Feedbooks.com already does that and has many of the titles that are available in LRF format here at MobileRead for the Sony.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Perhaps it'd be better to upload the books to FeedBooks for processing into Custom PDFs? Hadrien's put a lot of effort into that rascal, and I know we aren't out to steal any thunder.

Maybe we could then add a link to Feedbooks to point folks there for PDF formatted books, or some such?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Yes, that probably would make more sense.

I was wondering why that wasn't the case for the Reader, as well, but I guess it's the custom LRF format.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Perhaps it'd be better to upload the books to FeedBooks for processing into Custom PDFs? Hadrien's put a lot of effort into that rascal, and I know we aren't out to steal any thunder.

Maybe we could then add a link to Feedbooks to point folks there for PDF formatted books, or some such?
I think Feedbooks works very well as a complimentary source for e-books. Feedbooks has an automated backend that Hadrien is constantly improving, whereas for example the e-books that have already been uploaded for the Sony Reader here are very unique and custom-crafted. The advantage is that we can discuss and comment these uploads and constantly improve them.

So I would definitely favor to built upon what we've already created through the upload section for the Sony Reader.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Well... I guess that in some case, handmade books are quite different from what we provide with Feedbooks. But we're not doing a simple conversion like manybooks either. The goal of Feedbooks is to provide the best machine made formatting, and we'll be working on the same goal with XML-based formats too (we won't be able to do advanced typesetting but we'll focus on good looking chapter headings, TOCs, real footnotes etc...).

Feedbooks is basically a "black box" and we'll provide more outputs, and a more flexible input for it in the future.
Things we're working on:
- recommendation system: we're planning on doing personnal recommendations, based on what you have in your favorites
- synchronize: we're building a small app to synchronize our content for your e-ink device ( http://blog.feedbooks.com/?p=3 ). We would like to do an app directly on the iLiad too that would let you browse and download content using your iLiad (I can do C and GTK, but I'm still missing a development device, iRex people aren't answering at all)
- formats: better RSS support, the last few improvements that we need for PDF support, Open E-book support. Output isn't limited to e-book formats, we'll support e-mail and maybe mobile phone related features too. We already implemented Text To Speech with mp3 output, but weren't satisfied by the result of the open source software we were using (if we find the right TTS engine, we'll open this feature to the public).
- input: working on an XML format for input. This way you'll be able to use your blog and publish your own book on it (you post the chapter on your blogs, and with a plugin, it'll generate the right format for us to format everything and publish your book in all the different formats supported).
- news widgets: we'll add more and more widgets for the news part of the website. We'd like to create something else than just a PDF files with a bunch of RSS feeds in it, something closer to Netvibes and all these Ajax homepages, but for e-ink readers.
- social stuff: we're working on a Facebook application that'll show your favorite books on your profile. We'll do "dedicated e-books", you'll be able to add a small message in an e-book and send it to a friend.

Some of the users on this forum added books on Feedbooks, and yes, once someone added a book on Feedbooks, it's available for both the Sony PRS-500 and the iLiad (+ customized PDF too). We can't exactly cut and paste, or use a bot like most websites in order to build our database. We need to divide books into parts/chapters/sections and this can't be done without a bit of human work so help is appreciated.

Last edited by Hadrien; 06-11-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I voted for adding both, a section for the iLiad in particular and a section for uploads in general formats. Why? Because for the reason mentioned by Steve Jordan. It's makes a huge difference whether you must download a text and first convert it, or whether you can download immediately and install it on your device with the perfect settings.

The Sony Reader uploads section rocks, and I cannot see why it shouldn't be the same for the other upload sections.

But... I have one suggestion:
On the frontpage, remove uploads from the "Latest Forum Activity" section. Instead add a new section specifically for latest e-book uploads. This way we can track both more easily, user threads and user uploads.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Since we're living in the shadow of EBabel, it would only be fair to allow multiple choices. Let's not forget expansion for the other formats that will be imposed on us too. And that format that will unite us all has not been born yet.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Although I chose to provide books in different formats, I would love to contribute PD books for the Sony reader as well as other formats. Is there a consolidated tutorial for cleaning up the text? Sometimes I get unwanted or excess spaces, no space between words, or deleted special characters (like an accented "e" missing). All the books uploaded so far are so well done and I don't want to embarass myself.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
almost everyone else that i know reads on a fancy palm
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote