Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
UUID

After following the sad Sigil news, I decided to checkout JUTOH which has been mentioned several times as a possible substitute.

One thing JUTOH requires to open a project is a UUID.

Sigill generats a UUID, eg:

Code:
<dc:identifier id="BookId" opf:scheme="UUID">urn:uuid:3beecda8-59fe-4bcf-94a2-01c6aac75cd5</dc:identifier>
Acccording to JUTOH, these must be purchased.

How does SiGil come up with a UUID?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You have to request/register (and probably purchase) ISBNs, which can be used as BookID's, but needing to "purchase" a UUID is certainly news to me. There must be some miscommunication somewhere.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You have to request/register (and probably purchase) ISBNs, which can be used as BookID's, but needing to "purchase" a UUID is certainly news to me. There must be some miscommunication somewhere.
Perhaps I am refering to the wrong thing. The following is a quote from JUTOH help file.

Quote:
You can buy a set of ISBNs from the relevant agency (in the UK, it's Nielsen), or you can see if your ebook publisher such as Smashwords can supply ISBNs.
Apparently, free UUIDs can be obtained at:

http://www.famkruithof.net/uuid/uuidgen
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
UUID can be anything you want. All UUID's are free and there are multiple generators out there.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
UUID can be anything you want. All UUID's are free and there are multiple generators out there.
One example below

Spoiler:
roger@lmde64:~$ uuidgen
281499f9-4659-4f83-bf9f-9e6ca87d4327
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uuidgen.png
Views:	396
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	112028  

Last edited by roger64; 09-24-2013 at 05:33 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
UUID can be anything you want.
Right. I, for instance, set my UUID like this:

Jellby:YYYYMMDDx

Where YYYYMMDD is the date I create the book, and x is just a letter I add if I happen to create more than one book the same day.

But if you plan to sell your ebooks in some store, then you'll probably need to take care of how the UUID is set in order to place nicely with the store.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Atlantis, similar to Jutoh, automatically generates a UUID as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Right. I, for instance, set my UUID like this:

Jellby:YYYYMMDDx

Where YYYYMMDD is the date I create the book, and x is just a letter I add if I happen to create more than one book the same day.

But if you plan to sell your ebooks in some store, then you'll probably need to take care of how the UUID is set in order to place nicely with the store.
Some day, I'm going to find the genius who came up with UUID, hunt him down and strangle him with his own skivvies. I've lost track of the bloody threads on UUID's, as if they have any relevance anywhere in the ebook universe.

UUID's are practically the ultimate oxymoron--"unique" identifiers that have zero central control, no standards other than length (not really, before you all leap in here), five variants and almost no practical purpose in the non-software world, and nearly no practical purpose in the software world. I could name every single book we did the exact same UUID, and nothing--nothing--would ever happen. The world would not stop spinning on its axis, the Apocalypse would not start, the 6th Seal wouldn't be broken, Amazon wouldn't notice...and neither would anyone else.

I wish I could think of one instance--ONE--in which a client, distributor or publisher actually required a UUID. I "get" why the ePUB standards folks thought that someday, somehow, the UUID might be nice, needed, kinda-nice, sorta-needed...but it's never going to happen. Without a centralized registry, just like ISBN'S, mind you!, it's just...absurdity. And who's going to administer some type of centralized registry, unless they can make money off of it? And if they can't, who will create one? And if one is not created, what is the purpose of "practically, maybe, kinda, unique ID's?"

UURRGGGHHH! Can we create a sticky about UUID's?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
By the way, last time I checked neither flighcrew nor epubcheck complained if the UUIDs in the OPF and NCX files did not match. It is still so?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote