Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #91
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
If you look at the OP's other posts it seems like he may be an author doing some market research as to how folks feel about ebooks vs. pbooks and why folks choose to buy ebooks. Most of his other posts follow this line and it would also explain his continued lack of participation in this thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pretty likely to me.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #92
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I am not saying anyone did anything wrong per se but to post on a forum about how the topic activity of the forum is inferior etc. to what I shall call non-mobile-reading is kind of annoying and condescending.
Well, if it is really inferior or if you sincerely believe it is inferior of course it is OK to post about it. I would say it is even morally required since you might be able to influence people to see things in the right way.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #93
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am kind of missing the pleasure when visiting new cities to explore all the bookshops. Now it is no fun to do that since I have stopped buying paper books.
I still go to bookstores when I travel, because it's easier to find local interest titles (local authors, local subjects, etc., often by small presses) in person than online. Bookstores are a lower priority for me, though, with the rise of ebooks.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #94
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
If you look at the OP's other posts it seems like he may be an author doing some market research as to how folks feel about ebooks vs. pbooks and why folks choose to buy ebooks. Most of his other posts follow this line and it would also explain his continued lack of participation in this thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems pretty likely to me.
I don't think most authors are that subtle. Most authors just make up a topic to get a post out there--but often they are most interested in making sure their name/books are seen. Research? If an author doesn't know by now why people are buying ebooks, she's pretty behind the times. There are many topics already posted on the subject and a little scrolling would find plenty of conversations about ebooks versus paperbacks. I can't even guess why anyone does a post like this and then isn't polite enough to come back and comment or acknowledge the replies. Not that it's required, but why post and then dash away?
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #95
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I started in 2007 because I am a gadget person next to being a book lover. I love the thrill of cruzing the shelves for the same reasons of that spine, cover or what I know about the book. I've worked in bookstores for a 1/4 of my life. I live eat and breathe them.

The one advantage that stands out the most is I discovered with my ereader is the ease of carrying that large book I'm reading that I would not carry everywhere to read it. The convience of having it in my pocket makes me read more when I have a moment in time; at the bus stop, in the coffee line or on a break at work.

Sometimes when I am back at home I will pull out the hardcover edition and pick up where I let off with the ereader. I dont think I can let go of books, but I have also embraced the ereader for its convenience.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #96
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Oh, I love eBooks. I find the convenience is a wonderful thing and I discover new books much more quickly and easily online. Then there is the space-saving issue. Plus, It is easy to read a few minutes here and there on my phone during a busy day, though my tablet is a better device for that and my Kobo a better device still. My mom and I got to read Cloud Atlas at the same time, her on my Kobo, me on my tablet and phone, since I bought it from Kobo and have the Kobo app (and the Kindle app and the Overdrive app) on my tablet and phone.

I have to say that I do like seeing my dtbs on the bookshelf and I do fall prey to the issue of being distracted by the Internet on the tablet (and the phone, too, but browsing is not as fun that). I should wrestle the Kobo away from Mom.

Also, I am concerned about the longevity of my eBooks. I doubt that my nephew and niece will be able to read my eBooks in 20 years whereas I have a couple of my great-grandmother's books and can read the ones that aren't in German.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #97
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Well, if it is really inferior or if you sincerely believe it is inferior of course it is OK to post about it. I would say it is even morally required since you might be able to influence people to see things in the right way.
It's like getting on a knitting forum and waxing poetic about how great crocheting is and what kinds of sensual pleasures knitters are giving up by not crocheting instead. It's not like a lot of people don't do BOTH (knit/crochet, e-read/read dtbs), and both are of value, but dissing the topic of the forum is obnoxious.

Meanwhile I see our OP was a hit and run.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #98
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Also, I am concerned about the longevity of my eBooks. I doubt that my nephew and niece will be able to read my eBooks in 20 years whereas I have a couple of my great-grandmother's books and can read the ones that aren't in German.
That is a perfect argument against DRM and one of the reasons that many people break the DRM on the books they buy. If some new format comes along in 10 or 20 years, there will be a way to convert the books you've already purchased without having to rely on the company you purchased it from to still be around.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #99
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I don't think most authors are that subtle. Most authors just make up a topic to get a post out there--but often they are most interested in making sure their name/books are seen. Research? If an author doesn't know by now why people are buying ebooks, she's pretty behind the times. There are many topics already posted on the subject and a little scrolling would find plenty of conversations about ebooks versus paperbacks. I can't even guess why anyone does a post like this and then isn't polite enough to come back and comment or acknowledge the replies. Not that it's required, but why post and then dash away?

If you look at the OP's previous posts it seems like he is one of the few folks in this forum who honestly does not see why people prefer ebooks over pbooks. That combined with the content of his other threads seems to add credence to the idea that the OP is gathering information rather than sincerely engaging the folks on this forum in dialogue.

That does not mean that my initial hunch that he may be an author engaging in market research is correct, but look at the facts. Why would someone become a member of a forum dedicated to ebooks and ebook readers and then state, unflinchingly, that they do not now nor will they ever own an ebook reader or ebook? Furthermore, why would anyone post threads almost exclusively about book promotion, what people like to read, and why people buy ebooks unless they plan on using that information?

My hunch seems like a logical conclusion to me, but then again who ever said reality had to make sense?

Last edited by jabberwock_11; 10-11-2012 at 01:26 AM.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #100
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
If you look at the OP's previous posts it seems like he is one of the few folks in this forum who honestly does not see why people prefer ebooks over pbooks. That combined with the content of his other threads seems to add credence to the idea that the OP is gathering information rather than sincerely engaging the folks on this forum in dialogue.
I tend to think that info-gathering is sincere dialogue. Authors are welcome to come to MR and join threads about what-readers-like in order to better market their books, as long as they abide by the rules of the forums--be polite, don't spam the membership, don't expect to be worshiped because you've been picked up by a major publisher.

I'm not sure why someone who doesn't want or like ebooks would want to do their research on forums devoted to them... if he hates how we read, why how can we be his target customers? A tolerant author might think, "it doesn't matter *how* they read, just *what,* and these people might like my book"... but such an author wouldn't be likely to say "you're doing reading WRONG; how can you stand to read like that; don't you know how much you're missing?"

I suppose he might really just be clueless enough to think that if someone points out how wonderful paper books are, we'll give up our heathen hobbies and return to the True Path. I'm kinda baffled that anyone thinks that e-reader devotees were not first long-time devotees of paper books--are there really any ebook fans who were oblivious to the joys of reading before the Kindle explosion? (Okay, my younger daughter, maybe. But she doesn't hang out here.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 AM   #101
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Why I love ebooks:
  • They never get brown pages.
  • The covers stay pristine.
  • They never carry germs or get dusty.
  • No spine creases!
  • They take up no physical space.
  • I can change the font size or even the font.
  • I can highlight, make notes and not damage the book.
  • I can search through a book by word or phrases.
  • I can use a popup dictionary for word definitions.
  • It's easier to hold as it weighs the weight of an eReader.
  • Instant Gratification. (I want, I buy, I download and read.)
  • Privacy: No one knows what racey book I am reading.
  • The pages can't be torn out or go missing because my cat can't eat it.

Why I love physical Books.
  • They look pretty on my shelf.
  • Having them on my shelf makes me look smart.
  • I can navigate quickly to a page I need
That's all I can think of.

I still buy paperbacks. I am currently reading one but if I can get the book in ebook form I prefer it unless it's overpriced then it's a gently used book for me. I try to read one PB a month but I prefer ebooks so it's hard for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 AM   #102
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'm not sure why someone who doesn't want or like ebooks would want to do their research on forums devoted to them... if he hates how we read, why how can we be his target customers? A tolerant author might think, "it doesn't matter *how* they read, just *what,* and these people might like my book"... but such an author wouldn't be likely to say "you're doing reading WRONG; how can you stand to read like that; don't you know how much you're missing?"
According to his post in the self-promotions forum, he's writing an online novel, which has branches. That type of book would seem to lend itself to ebook formats, since ebooks can include hyperlinks, so maybe that's why he thinks that MR is a good place for him to be, even though he has no interest in ebooks.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 AM   #103
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
, but dissing the topic of the forum is obnoxious.
I do not agree that it is automatically obnoxious. Suppose you have a forum for people believing that sugar cure cancer. Then telling them in the forum that this is wrong is not dissing. It is kind of your duty to help the people by informing them about there mistake.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #104
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Some would think that the o/p was trolling by the statement made in the original post. It was guaranteed to create responses on a all things e-reader forum.

What can not be refuted is the wide range of responses that the first post has generated. Now if the o/p was a student of physiology and was doing research his or hers posts statement, hit the "Bulls eye" on getting material from the members here.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #105
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
Quote:
I do not agree that it is automatically obnoxious. Suppose you have a forum for people believing that sugar cure cancer. Then telling them in the forum that this is wrong is not dissing. It is kind of your duty to help the people by informing them about there mistake.
That analogy is a bit of a stretch. I don't think a belief that sugar cures cancer and a belief that ebooks are convenient and enjoyable methods of reading are intellectually equal.

Whether or not we have a duty to disabuse people of foolish notions (and, if we do, I need to spend a lot more time at my local places of worship), I don't believe that a fondness for ereaders qualifies as a foolish notion, so it is not necessary to come and point it out.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote