Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
OK, same problem here .... didn't want to start a new thread, so hopefully, I'll get some feed back.

Everything I've read says the battery life on the Nook Classic 3G is about 10 days. To me this would mean charging, say, every Sunday night.

I started keeping track of my charging habits. I read a few hours each day and my husband reads for about 30 minutes each day. I've turned on the Airplane mode ... I turn it off about once a week and check for new content and then go back to airplane.
I've shortened the LCD screen time out to the shortest and the sleep mode to 5 minutes.

I'm charging about every 4 days.

Questions: It seems that my personal screen saver cycles through pictures every once in a while ... I put it in sleep mode manually, see a picture of ... my cat ... and then when I pick it up again, it's a picture of my daughter. So, could that affect battery life? I switched to a Nook screen saver and it doesn't seem to cycle through pictures while sleeping.

Becasue I read everyday, I never fully turn it off .... and from these posts, it looks like I shouldn't have to.

Does anyone know how the reported 10 day battery life was figured? How many hours a day of reading? Its it fully turn off, say, at night?

I've had the Nook since Christmas and I love it ... I recently ordered a skin from DecalGirl and want to get the battery issue solved before I put a skin on it, just in case it's cause for replacement of some sort.

Thoughts? Is a trip to B&N in order?

Thanks!

Susie
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I calculated a long time ago--before the current firmware release--the battery using about 6-7% of life per reading hour and some much smaller percentage during sleep. I figured you should expect to get about 13 hours of reading before the re-charge prompting if you had NO sleep. I can't remember how sleep ate up (maybe 0.3-0.4% per hour of sleep?). I think that 10-day charge was estimated on the assumption that you read 1/2 hour or less a day, though. I usually charge every 1-3 days depending how much I read. At the time my observations were similar to others', that this is typical battery life.

I should really repeat this experiment with the current firmware.

Last edited by Joykins; 02-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #18
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
On average, you should get 10 to 12 hours reading time, assuming you read frequently. I read about 2 hours a day and I charge every 4 or so days. If you read less frequently, say 1/2 hour a day, you will get less reading time out of the battery, as more power is consumed between reads, while the device is asleep. Other things affect battery life, like how long you have the LCD on (for browsing your books, looking up words, bookmarking, ...), the radios (WiFi and 3G), SD card present or not, ...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
OK, so it sounds like I have a normal battery life ...charging every 4 to 5 days.

Do you think the screen saver makes a difference (Nook "canned" screen saver vs. personal pictures) ?

When do you charge? when the battery icon looks low? at a certain percent as shown on the settings page ... or ...when it tells you to charge?

Why does have an SD card affect battery life? I don't have one because I haven't needed one.

And ...off topic entirely ... those pictures I have for my screen saver ... is there any way to view those? A photo viewer perhaps? I haven't seen anything (mine is NOT rooted ... afraid of messing it up! it's a 1003 serial number).

Thanks!

Susie

Last edited by Catsnkites; 02-27-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I don't think what you have for a screen saver really matters--it's the screen paint that uses battery charge, not the content of the pictures.

As for charging, I generally do it if my charge gets below about 50%--not because I think it's about to die on me, but because I don't want to run out the *next* day and I can eat up to 35% charge on one day's reading depending on circumstances. I also generally depend on the battery icon rather than the percentage on the settings page, just because I don't like flipping to settings. However, sometimes I read it down to the charge prompt if I think the charge prompt won't come until around bedtime.

I don't think there's any B&N provided photo viewer on the nook. I haven't rooted it so I can't speak for the rooted.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, nook, nook classic