Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
How can I read books in Russian or other languages on DX?

Hello there,
I got DX Graphite international edition. As I assume it is supposed to support other languages than English. In particular I tried to send Russian document for conversion through Amazon service and only got a mess. I tried to convert a book into Russian using Calibre. It didnt help either. So can Kindle recognize Cyrillic fonts?
I would nt like to do hacks, convert books into PDFs with embed fonts or other workarounds. I am curios if Cyrilic fonts are finally supported on latest Kindle and how can I create a book so Kindle could proper recognize it?
Thanks and happy reading.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
plantoschka
Connoisseur
plantoschka doesn't litterplantoschka doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Cyrillic fonts are supported since the Kindle 3.

Maybe there is a font hack or something for the DX, i don't know.
plantoschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
saniko800
saniko800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
You should convert your cyrillic text to PDF.
Or wait for the new K3-like firmware.
saniko800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You may have an issue with the encoding between the original document and the Kindle. You may need to figure out the original encoding (there are lots of different ones), then use a tool to convert the input file (html or txt) to UTF-8, then convert that document.

Dealing with different encodings is a royal pain.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You may have an issue with the encoding between the original document and the Kindle. You may need to figure out the original encoding (there are lots of different ones), then use a tool to convert the input file (html or txt) to UTF-8, then convert that document.

Dealing with different encodings is a royal pain.
Well, its a royal pain on Kindle. I tested other (smaller) e-Readers and they support other languages perfectly. I dunno why Amazon state the Kindle is and international unit. International means not only be able to download books being in other country but also be able to read a book in other language.
The easiest way is just to convert to PDF but again PDF support is horrible on Kindle, even on DX latest edition..
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
MNF
Developer
MNF began at the beginning.

Device: KindleDX
Install RUSSIAN FONTS

If you are happy to jailbreak your Kindle, see http://blogkindle.com/unicode-fonts-hack/
MNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
For installing 3.2.1 (the firmware of 3rd generation kindles) on your kindle DXG and use the Cyrilic fonts natively on your kindle DXG, have a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127969

For font hacks for 2.5.8 for kindle DXG have a look at here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote