Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
guardianofavalon
guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: kobo glo
Unhappy Kobo Glo not turning on anymore...

Hi guys ,

My week old Kobo Glo stopped functionning 2 days ago... It won't switch on anymore. I tried recharging it (for 12h), using another cable and reseting it but that didn't do anything. When I reset it (with a paperclip) the power light switches to green-blue-green, and then the screen flickers twice. Factory reset doesn't seem possible without switching the Kobo on (even using the light button + paperclip trick). The worst is I'm currently working abroad and can't take it back to the store...

It is my first ebook and i must say i was conquered untill that episode... No need to carry 10kg of books around! But now i'm left with nothing to read
Please help a newbie in desperate need of his books!

Thanks!!
guardianofavalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
koenieee
Enthusiast
koenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Maybe you can reflash the firmware?
koenieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
If you were recharging from a computer, try from a wall socket.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
try holding the power switch to the side for 20 seconds two or three times.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
guardianofavalon
guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.guardianofavalon knows the square root of minus one.

Thanks for your replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
If you were recharging from a computer, try from a wall socket.
I tried charging it from a wall plug without success. It doesn't even seem to charge at all anymore -> no power light.... Same from a PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
try holding the power switch to the side for 20 seconds two or three times.
Holding the power switch has resulted in this green-blue-green light and screen flickering pattern, but nothing afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenieee View Post
Maybe you can reflash the firmware?
How do i do that? Do you mean a factory reset? It's apparently not possible without turning the device on with the kobo glo...

Apparently quite a few stores have had the same problem with demo units, but Kobo seems to be pretty quiet about that...

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UMf3iqA0iSo

And their support guy has been quite unhelpfull...
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianofavalon View Post
How do i do that? Do you mean a factory reset? It's apparently not possible without turning the device on with the kobo glo...
To factory reset the glo: hold the power button ON for 15-20 seconds to make sure it is off. Press and HOLD the light button while turning on the Glo. That should put you into a factory reset if that will solve the problem (no guarantees).

Quote:
Apparently quite a few stores have had the same problem with demo units, but Kobo seems to be pretty quiet about that...

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UMf3iqA0iSo
There was a post somewhere about this and it was a problem specific to the demo models and the security case it was in if I remember correctly.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Probably won't help, but I have to do it at least twice in a row(holding the power button to the side) once four times. I have a mini so no light button.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
guardianofavalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
To factory reset the glo: hold the power button ON for 15-20 seconds to make sure it is off. Press and HOLD the light button while turning on the Glo. That should put you into a factory reset if that will solve the problem (no guarantees).
That did it!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! The Kobo support guy told me the factory reset was done buy turning it on, holding the light button while USING THE PAPERCLIP. Damn him!

Thanks to you all!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Great!

But it does show the lack of expertise of the support section.

My Kobo has been returned as faulty and I now have a new one!!

.........for now
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moody View Post
Great!

But it does show the lack of expertise of the support section.

My Kobo has been returned as faulty and I now have a new one!!

.........for now
In fairness, there are a couple of different resets and holding light button while using the paperclip could be one of them. But having said that, there definitely are a good portion of Kobo support people that don't seem to have a clue.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
lynnleef
lynnleef began at the beginning.

I too am having the same problem and have tried to do all the things that everyone has suggested and now it just won't go at all. The startup light won't work or anything! The screen has stopped on the page that i was reading. It's all very frustrating as my book was getting really good! Grrrr. any other advice? Otherwise, it's back to the shop i go! It's only a week old as well.
lynnleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
robko
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnleef View Post
I too am having the same problem and have tried to do all the things that everyone has suggested and now it just won't go at all. The startup light won't work or anything! The screen has stopped on the page that i was reading. It's all very frustrating as my book was getting really good! Grrrr. any other advice? Otherwise, it's back to the shop i go! It's only a week old as well.
What method are you using to charge? If you're using a USB port try a different one or a different computer or different cord. Ideally try a phone charger plugged directly into the wall if you can. If you're not getting any lights beside the power switch either your battery or the switch must be bad and replacement could well be the only option.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
That did it!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! The Kobo support guy told me the factory reset was done buy turning it on, holding the light button while USING THE PAPERCLIP. Damn him!

Thanks to you all!
The paper clip reset and Home/Light button does work but I find the power off for 20 seconds and then hold the Home/Light button while powering on to be a bit easier since I had to power off the unit by holding the power button and then doing the paper clip reset method.

Regards,
Daivd
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Thanks for posting this. I was so upset when my kobo glo just turned off this morning and reacted the same way as the op described. My glow appears to be restoring.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
SSSasky
SSSasky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post

There was a post somewhere about this and it was a problem specific to the demo models and the security case it was in if I remember correctly.
This solution fixed my similarly bricked Glo. Thanks for the great advice!

Too bad Kobo won't promote the factory reset technique ...
SSSasky is offline   Reply With Quote