Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 03:15 AM   #1
gatapia
gatapia began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Disk Space Calculations

Wow, I just upgraded my calibre, well not upgraded but trying to upgrade as we speak.

Seriously.... The installer is hurting my soul.

I have 2 TB drives and its looking to see if I have enough disk space.. Its been looking for 10 minutes now.

How much disk space does calibre use? 10mb? 20? Why even bother checking for disk space, thats so 90s.

This is a request for you to remove the disk space check from your installer it hurts.........

Thanks

Guido
gatapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
It doesn't take 10 minutes here, but it certainly feels like it :-). What *is* it doing that takes so long, Kovid? Just getting the free disk space of the disk the install path is on shouldn't take this long, surely?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that the Windows installer does some sort of check for every file to be installed - and as there are now a lot of files in Calibre this can take some time. I suspect that this is an automatic function in the install package being used over which Kovid has little control.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Start rant:

Windows installer is asinine. It compares every single "non-versioned" file to see if the new install is different than the previous install version of that file. The only "versioned" file it recognizes are dll and exe files. Which means it sits and calculates the hashes of every single .pyo and .recipe file in the install package.

Then it uses only the different files to calculate disk space to be used. I assume the moronic people that developed WI thought this was clever. Seriously, WI is ridiculous even by Microsofts unusually low standards.

The only reason I use WI at all is that it is the only free installer software I could find that correctly installs system DLLs (in this case the Visual Studio CRT needed by various calibre dependencies). And this in turn is only necessary because another group of Micromorons decided that making the visual studio CRT a SxS assembly was a good idea. Fortunately, at least that decision has been reversed for VS 2010.

End rant:

I could probably speed it up a bit by putting everything into a zip file, but I hate to do that as it obfuscates the file layout and makes it harder for people to make small changes to the installed code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Knipfty
Enthusiast
Knipfty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Kindle PC/Kindle BB
I would just leave it as is. I've gotten use to it and do other things while it installs.
Knipfty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knipfty View Post
I would just leave it as is. I've gotten use to it and do other things while it installs.
Yeah, same here. It just got me wondering when the original poster brought it up.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote