Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
ARRGHH! I sat on my PRS-300 yesterday!

The screen is really, REALLY broken. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Now I'm torn between going out and buying something right away and waiting for info on the new Sonys to firm up.

Can anyone recommend a "Piece-o-crap" reader that can handle non DRM epubs that sells for REAL cheap? Or would some junk cost as much as a PRS300? I saw them new on the internet for $129 USD this afternoon.

Maybe I should just buy a new battery for my old Treo 700P. As eReaders went, it was sure small.

Aside from Sony's incredibly awful software and careless ebook store, its lack of buttproofing, and its occasional odd behavior, I kind of liked my PRS-300. It was small and compact and didn't get in the way of my reading. I'd consider the new 350 if I like what I hear about it and didn't take too long to get to market.

What would you guys do?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Search around in here - I saw a link to a Sears.com offer and the 300 was selling for $100 (although I think it was just the pink one at this price). You're secure in your masculinity, right?

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
It depends, perhaps, on how much $100 means to you. If that's not a lot of money for you, why not order another PRS300 as a stopgap - you can always eBay it, and come out having spent, say, $50 for reading until you've decided on the next reader to get. Some people would spend that on a meal.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Search around in here - I saw a link to a Sears.com offer and the 300 was selling for $100 (although I think it was just the pink one at this price). You're secure in your masculinity, right?

Up to a point, but I can't stand men's shoes that go "clip-clop" real loud like you are wearing high heels.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Any man who can boldly proclaim his affection for soup has no worries regarding his masculinity.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry for you loss. Here's the Sears link.

Did you have a cover on your 300? I've sat and dropped my K2 a few times but it has been saved by the M-Edge cover. A cover may be the best and cheapest ebook reader insurance.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
PRS-300 Pink or Navy Blue @ Sears.com

$99.99 plus shipping, US only.

Shipping starts at $6.95 or available for in-store pickup.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
If you are a member of BJ's, you can also possibly find the PRS300 + Leather Cover bundle on sale for $99.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The moral of the story is this is a really, really good time to sit on your PRS-300! Replacements have never been cheaper!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
'searsdeal' code for $10 off too
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Up to a point, but I can't stand men's shoes that go "clip-clop" real loud like you are wearing high heels.

Well, to be fair, I don't like women's shoes that make the same noise! Just seems like it's screaming "look at me".

We have a woman in my office who probably weights 85 pounds soaking wet. Yet I can hear her coming (she wears boots and it's the "clomp-clomp" of boot heels) a good 60 seconds before she passes my desk. (I'm lousy at judging distances, so I can't say "from 40 feet away" and really know if that's anything close to right).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
The screen is really, REALLY broken. I'm having withdrawal symptoms. Now I'm torn between going out and buying something right away and waiting for info on the new Sonys to firm up.

Can anyone recommend a "Piece-o-crap" reader that can handle non DRM epubs that sells for REAL cheap? Or would some junk cost as much as a PRS300? I saw them new on the internet for $129 USD this afternoon.

Maybe I should just buy a new battery for my old Treo 700P. As eReaders went, it was sure small.

Aside from Sony's incredibly awful software and careless ebook store, its lack of buttproofing, and its occasional odd behavior, I kind of liked my PRS-300. It was small and compact and didn't get in the way of my reading. I'd consider the new 350 if I like what I hear about it and didn't take too long to get to market.

What would you guys do?
Sorry to hear that.. I can understand you'd get withdrawal symptoms.. I don't know what I would do without my reader.

If I were you, I'd buy a kindle... They ship really fast, and you can return it within 30 days.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Any man who can boldly proclaim his affection for soup has no worries regarding his masculinity.
Yeah, I'm something of a rebel.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Sorry for you loss. Here's the Sears link.

Did you have a cover on your 300? I've sat and dropped my K2 a few times but it has been saved by the M-Edge cover. A cover may be the best and cheapest ebook reader insurance.
I have the booklight cover, but of course, yesterday I was going commando because the cover makes it too big to fit in my pockets.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
FYI, Sadly the PRS300 deal at Sears is no more (both blue and rose colors are saying sold out -- I was curious and considering a spare for $90) so if you didn't buy it already, you'll have to spend more or buy something else.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote