Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Wow. I had the same Windows crash/reinstall thing happen to me -- one quick call to the ConnStore support line and the old one was removed. Five minutes, no fuss, no muss.
When we had my wife's account deleted by Sony, they somehow left her computer activated. So what I did was call Sony and they sorted it out right away. Easy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #32
RalphTrickey
Enthusiast
RalphTrickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
igorsk,

Exactly. Because if it weren't vendor lock-in, then any ebook I legally purchased would be readable across all platforms, no matter which vendor got my money.

Derek
Think about that paragraph, that makes no sense. You're linking two unrelated things.

DRM is mean to prevent caual piracy. It's meant to keep me from handing out copies to all my friends. It's unlikely to ever prevent copying by the hackers. The fact that it locks you into a vendor harms the industry if anything. I'm not willing to buy anything that's doesn't have a breakable DRM because I will read my books again years later. I'm not willing to buy them again if the vendor went out of business.

DRM isn't going to lock you into a vendor, the authors that they have signed are going to lock you in.

There are a bunch of DRM vendors because it's profitable if you can become the market leader, and because creating a DRM solution that will prevent 99% of the people from cracking it is an easy problem to solve.users.

Ralph
RalphTrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2007, 05:10 PM   #33
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I disagree, Nate. If nobody stole eBooks, there would be no reason for publishers to use DRM. It is the criminals who make publishers believe that DRM is necessary.
Yeah, and if more people used the library they wouldn't sell as many either. DRM relates more to the fear of lost sales than a proven reality.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #34
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Ralph,

Ummm... That's a stupid paragraph??? For two reasons. First, putting in DRM is *MORE* likely to make average readers opt into finding/acquiring 'hacked' ebooks. Second, the more complex the DRM, the more it locks the average reader into one hardware platform, the more likely a reader is going to say "NO" to authors who insist upon using that vendor. Case in point: Embiid. Now Embiid worked great on the Windows PC platform, and not nearly so great on the PalmOS platform and NOT AT ALL on Windows Mobile, Linux or Mac platforms. You might note that Embiid is no longer in business and at least one set of authors, Steve Miller and Sharon Lee - who write wonderful stories about Liad and the Korval clan - now offer many of their books - in ebook format - through Baen's Webscriptions -- *SANS* DRM!

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
Think about that paragraph, that makes no sense. You're linking two unrelated things.

DRM is mean to prevent caual piracy. It's meant to keep me from handing out copies to all my friends. It's unlikely to ever prevent copying by the hackers. The fact that it locks you into a vendor harms the industry if anything. I'm not willing to buy anything that's doesn't have a breakable DRM because I will read my books again years later. I'm not willing to buy them again if the vendor went out of business.

DRM isn't going to lock you into a vendor, the authors that they have signed are going to lock you in.

There are a bunch of DRM vendors because it's profitable if you can become the market leader, and because creating a DRM solution that will prevent 99% of the people from cracking it is an easy problem to solve.users.

Ralph
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #35
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTrickey View Post
DRM is mean to prevent caual piracy. It's meant to keep me from handing out copies to all my friends. It's unlikely to ever prevent copying by the hackers. The fact that it locks you into a vendor harms the industry if anything.
It might harm industry as a whole, but it benefits the vendor (in short-term), since the users are stuck with the vendor's software/hardware if they want to access their content.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert