Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
What is the best reader app on CM7?

So I kept reading about CM7 and finally I decided to give up on waiting for a good root for 1.2. I took the plunge and overwrote my device with version 7.0.3 of CM7 and I am pretty happy with it. My only issue is I liked the B&N reader better then anything I have tried. I am not crazy about the Nook app for Android and it doesn't open any of my sideloaded apps. Aldiko 2.0 is ok but its the little things I am not crazy about, I can't get the font or the page numbers to the exact way I want it, like the stock B&N reader did. I saw a thread about someone trying to get the stock reader to work on CM7 but I don't know if that will ever happen.

Does anyone have another reader that they like better then Android Nook or Aldiko 2.0?
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
There is a thread in the Android forum that covers readers for android.

Go to the first post and the originator of that thread did an excellent job of summarizing all the eReader clients and their strength.
The Great Big List of Android eBook Apps

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
Very cool, thanks X.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I won't say I like any of these better. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. But here is a short list of reader apps that have merit, in no particular order. (There are many others in the list =X= linked to.)
  • Coolreader
  • Nook for Android
  • Aldiko
  • FBReader
  • Moon+ Reader
  • Kindle for Android (no ePub support though)

These are all free so I would suggest giving them a try and seeing if any will work for you.

Some have local dictionary support, some require internet connection for online dictionary, one I believe has a broken dictionary function.

Some have no font choices, most have a small or better list of included fonts from which to choose, and at least two allow you to load your own fonts.

Some are easy to sideload eBooks to, others not so much. The Nook for Android is a bit kluge to get a sideloaded book, but once you figure it out it is a good reader app to use for sideloaded and B&N content.

At least two apps allow for two page landscape mode, while I think all allow single page landscape mode.

Some have excellent highlighting ability, others are doable but kluge, at least one doesn't seem to be able to highlight.

BTW, I'm also running CM7 7.0.3 (internal installation) and I've got all the above apps installed. Many seem to work better when installed to an SD card, but that is merely an observation. The data (eBooks) is definitely best stored on an SD card.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistopher View Post
Does anyone have another reader that they like better then Android Nook or Aldiko 2.0?
I almost exclusively use Moon+. It doesn't read PDF files (I use Aldiko or QuickOffice for that), but it does use the Calibre2opds + Dropbox catalog access and it's wonderful for highlighting passages of text and exporting those highlights to email, text files, Evernote, etc.

(More info in the links in my signature if the Dropbox reference didn't make sense. )
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
irishtexmex
Enthusiast
irishtexmex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voygae (Old: B&N Nook ST)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I almost exclusively use Moon+. It doesn't read PDF files (I use Aldiko or QuickOffice for that), but it does use the Calibre2opds + Dropbox catalog access and it's wonderful for highlighting passages of text and exporting those highlights to email, text files, Evernote, etc.

(More info in the links in my signature if the Dropbox reference didn't make sense. )
Aldiko also has support for Calibre2opds (with Dropbox). You just change the catalog option on Calibre2opds to "Aldiko"
irishtexmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
I have question relative to readers that is no doubt very basic but can't find it on these forums. I tried installing the CM7 (on SD card) and now I am looking for a way to get my sideloaded books back. They used to be stored on my old sd card under "my files" - "books". Where do I put them so that these 3rd party apps can find them -- and (2nd question) is there a way that I can combine them with my B&N books to create a moster library that sorts, tags, shelves, etc? Sorry for multipart question.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
I have question relative to readers that is no doubt very basic but can't find it on these forums. I tried installing the CM7 (on SD card) and now I am looking for a way to get my sideloaded books back. They used to be stored on my old sd card under "my files" - "books". Where do I put them so that these 3rd party apps can find them -- and (2nd question) is there a way that I can combine them with my B&N books to create a moster library that sorts, tags, shelves, etc? Sorry for multipart question.
Nook for Android: /mnt/sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments/ is where sideloaded content goes and /mnt/sdcard/Nook/Content/ is where it seems to store purchased books. I'm not sure about library books.

Kindle for Android: /mnt/sdcard/kindle/

Coolreader, Aldiko, FBReader, Moon+ Reader: /mnt/sdcard/eBooks/ where "eBooks" is named to whatever name you want. I use "eBooks" because it is simple and obvious. These, and probably other, readers allow you to select a folder to scan for ebooks, so it is convenient to put them in a single and easy to find location. Some reader apps scan the folder you select then display the list of books. Other apps scan the selected folder then ask you to import the books.

I'm not sure the second part of your question can be done. Others might have an answer.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-31-2011 at 10:49 AM.