Notices

Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #721
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
The problem with this is: which print edition? And locations are only for Amazon books, so no, I don't get it in my Kobo
That's why I say the equivalent; ebooks are usually 'converted' from some existing edition. (I didn't know other readers didn't have location! That's really weird, so if you don't have pages you have no estimation of where you're at besides the percentage?)
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #722
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvareo View Post
Don't you already get that with the location count, though? For me at least, the point of page counts is so I can know where I would be if I were reading the equivalent print edition, it's not of much use to me otherwise.
Locations are obsolete and Amazon only.

But when a book has multiple print editions, you could have the eBook matching the hardcover and you have a mass market paperback. Your page counts will not match.

What you can do however in Calibre (for a Kindle) is configure a custom column for your page count. Then pick the paper edition you want, use that page count, put that in the custom column and then have Calibre generate a page number file for the eBook using that page count. That would work. But one thing that will not work is the same page number won't be point to the same place. You might be able to get this with a page number file direct from Amazon with the current paper version, but if that current paper version is hardcover and the hardcover is no longer selling, then your page numbers won't match.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-13-2015 at 04:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM   #723
alvareo
Enthusiast
alvareo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But when a book has multiple print editions, you could have the eBook matching the hardcover and you have a mass market paperback. Your page counts will not match.
oh yeah of course, I just want to know the matching pages on some physical edition, you know?
alvareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #724
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's why I say the equivalent; ebooks are usually 'converted' from some existing edition. (I didn't know other readers didn't have location! That's really weird, so if you don't have pages you have no estimation of where you're at besides the percentage?)
Kobo Readers have both percentage and Adobe style page numbers so you have two ways of knowing how far into the eBook you are and how much left you have.

But, in another thread on bonus material, you might not know how much you have to go because if you have an excerpt (usually incorrectly called bonus material in an eBook) from another of the author's books, then your percent and page count cannot tell you when you get near the end as the end is farther along then the actual end.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM   #725
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
oh yeah of course, I just want to know the matching pages on some physical edition, you know?
That's like asking for the first paperback edition to mach the page numbering of the hardcover edition. It will never happen. so you might as well just get used to eBook page numbering to also be different. It is after all, a different edition.

And an audiobook has no page numbers.
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #726
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Which one? And that's true in old books, not in new books where there's no conversion but an original document source, which is "printed / formated" in different editions. And I have my estimation with Adobe count.

Anyway, as your original question, how did you get the original number of pages? Because I'm afraid that the only way to recover them is to get them again.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #727
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Page count just gives you a relative (to another book on the device) number.
Is this bigger or smaller.

I use the Adobe formula since I read on a device that also uses that.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM   #728
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
In a perfect world eReader would have choice of both # of pages/# screen based on current fontsize/line-height/margins settings and page count matching some printed edition (that would be stated on ebook/device itself). Both have their merits.

Since 98% of my books are sideloaded & before that checked for dumb line-height values I've settled on using the "count of screens" approach. I've generated page count based on 2350 characters. That way I have better means of comparison between books and also always know how much time is needed to finish the book (at my slowest it takes me 2 minutes to read one "page/screen", at average about 1,5 minute; so just multiply number of pages with 2) and I don't have to constantly reset Kindle's reading timer.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #729
todivefor
todivefor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is there anyway to get page numbers on Kindle app (ie android)? I have generated APNX file, but can't get it to somewhere on to device to be used by the app.
todivefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #730
Kraftwerk
Zealot
Kraftwerk began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Just used this plugin for a few new books I've added but the page count is wrong.

All the results are in the hundred of thousands!

Any idea what has gone wrong - it's worked perfectly before.

I am using Calibre 2.15 and am wondering if the latest version would make a difference?
Kraftwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #731
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk View Post
Just used this plugin for a few new books I've added but the page count is wrong.

All the results are in the hundred of thousands!

Any idea what has gone wrong - it's worked perfectly before.

I am using Calibre 2.15 and am wondering if the latest version would make a difference?
Check your CP settings They may have gotten glitched.
CP has not changed in a while and has worked for me (I use the Adobe type count) thru many updates.
NB I run Calibre 2.0 on XP and 2.20 on W7. The results are consistent
Old 02-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #732
Kraftwerk
Zealot

Does anyone know what the default settings are for this plugin?
Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #733
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Does anyone know what the default settings are for this plugin?
No, but you can simply delete/rename count pages.json (in the configuration: plugins folder) and it will recreate. Then you just need to configure which column(s) to use
Old 02-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #734
Kraftwerk
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No, but you can simply delete/rename count pages.json (in the configuration: plugins folder) and it will recreate. Then you just need to configure which column(s) to use
Could you explain how to do this.
I've had a look round but can't work out how to do it.
I think I need to reset it.
I have updated to the latest version of Calibre but it's still the same.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #735
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Could you explain how to do this.
I've had a look round but can't work out how to do it.
I think I need to reset it.
I have updated to the latest version of Calibre but it's still the same.
Thanks
You use (Windows) file explorer while Calibre is not running.

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin