Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 12-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Belkin 4365e8
I can't find that model number, but it doesn't matter as the ping test proved that guest mode is not an issue.
Quote:
(web browser test)Yep, didn't work.
That tells us that the problem isn't isn't CC. It is something in your environment. Given the ping results, that "something" is almost certainly on your laptop.
Quote:
The computer running Calibre is a laptop and is not connected to my home network using a cable. Does it need to be?
No.
Quote:
The ping was successful.
That means that there is definitely network connectivity between the laptop and the N7, and that your laptop can make outgoing connections, thus no guest mode problems. However, that also means that the CC connection problem must be in the security SW on your laptop, preventing incoming connections. Which one are you running?

Sometimes the security software has a way to disable it temporarily. Does yours? In particular, can you disable the firewall to see if doing so lets CC through?

Note that the FAQ discusses the Windows Firewall, by Microsoft. There are a zillion other firewall packages, such as Avast, Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, ZoneAlarm, AVG, ESET, etc. Each of these packages has its own firewall and its own way of letting applications through it.
Quote:
I quite simply cannot get the laptop to start in Safe Mode with Networking!
Oh well...
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
The only software I can see is Norton, and that seems to be not working (I can't open it or even uninstall it).

I have allowed everything through the firewall and even tried disabling the Windows firewall altogether. I think CC just isn't for me I'm afraid!

Thanks for all the help.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The only software I can see is Norton, and that seems to be not working (I can't open it or even uninstall it).

I have allowed everything through the firewall and even tried disabling the Windows firewall altogether. I think CC just isn't for me I'm afraid!

Thanks for all the help.
You appear to be describing a Malware infection

(Some would also say Norton was Malware Peter! Why did you sell out to the Big Yellow?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote