Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I use Microsoft Outlook for my gmail, so I never see the ads. That might help.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Reading our e-mail? And I thought my job was boring!
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Thanks everybody for the information and suggestions.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
You'll benefit from two extensions if you use Chrome:

Ghostery: http://www.ghostery.com/
AdBlock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...namgkkbiglidom

The first blocks trackers that follow you from site to site and analyze your interests. The second flat out blocks ads, including those in Gmail. Google will still know what you're writing--their algorithms run on their servers, where your e-mail sits--but you won't have to deal with the ads.
You benefit even better from the same two add-ons if you use Firefox. With adblockplus for Chrome, it still downloads the ads and just doesn't display them. The Firefox version, the ads are blocked before they are downloaded.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-31-2013 at 08:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I've just installed adblockplus for Firefox. But it's free software; somebody or something must pay for it. How?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #21
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
Reading our e-mail? And I thought my job was boring!
LOL
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #22
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I haven't had gmail that long and I really haven't sent or received that many emails, but I've been talking to a friend about doing an ebook cover, and a lot of what we've talked about has centered around doing the graphics for it. Now I just got a Graphic Design ad right next to my emails. I suppose it's possible that it's a coincidence but that's very unlikely. I know they know where you've gone on the web and send you ads that way, but do they actually read the insides of your emails?
they do not read your mail
get in big trouble doing that
but do not use gmail ID for social network

best not use facebook or google plus
if use them use separate ID

create separate gmail accounts
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #23
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've just installed adblockplus for Firefox. But it's free software; somebody or something must pay for it. How?
They get a lot of donations. The old "tip jar" model.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #24
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Kind of like Calibre in that respect.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #25
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
AdBlock doesn't actually work on Chrome. It *hides* the ads, but only after they've already been downloaded and processed (unlike the Firefox version, which doesn't download them in the first place). You're still having your data cap abused and your movements around the Web tracked. (the Chrome version of NoScript is also quite bad, as well)
This is interesting to me--their extension page doesn't say this, but I imagine they wouldn't advertise it. Can you provide some backup for the AdBlock claim? I'm not challenging this claim, just wondering where you found this; I'd be interested in reading through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You benefit even better from the same two add-ons if you use Firefox. With adblockplus for Chrome, it still downloads the ads and just doesn't display them. The Firefox version, the ads are blocked before they are downloaded.
I'm using AdBlock rather than AdBlockPlus; I don't know if they're both working that way, given JDGumby's claim re: AdBlock above. I'm curious now to find out!
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Harry T is correct, however I would like to add one thing to his statement. They get millions of pieces of email each day for a human to read all of it is frankly not humanly possible. Its almost beyond the abilities of the software to keep up with the email.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
This is interesting to me--their extension page doesn't say this, but I imagine they wouldn't advertise it. Can you provide some backup for the AdBlock claim? I'm not challenging this claim, just wondering where you found this; I'd be interested in reading through it.

I'm using AdBlock rather than AdBlockPlus; I don't know if they're both working that way, given JDGumby's claim re: AdBlock above. I'm curious now to find out!
Checking the download size for the page with each system is the simplest.

If you know how, you can check the actual code.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
They get millions of pieces of email each day for a human to read all of it is frankly not humanly possible.
Clearly reading by humans is impossible given the volume, but I don't think that's what Gregg Bell meant. Google is clearly going through emails and developing user profiles in order to target advertising. In that sense it is being read. I'm fairly confident that Google is storing those profiles, since the advertising seems to be taking prior messages into account.

Whether the content of those profiles is or is going to be used for purposes other than advertising is an open question. I'm fairly certain that Google can make a good sum of money if they decided to sell that data to third parties since everything from credit bureaus to employers could make use of at least some of that data.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Clearly reading by humans is impossible given the volume, but I don't think that's what Gregg Bell meant. Google is clearly going through emails and developing user profiles in order to target advertising. In that sense it is being read. I'm fairly confident that Google is storing those profiles, since the advertising seems to be taking prior messages into account.

Whether the content of those profiles is or is going to be used for purposes other than advertising is an open question. I'm fairly certain that Google can make a good sum of money if they decided to sell that data to third parties since everything from credit bureaus to employers could make use of at least some of that data.
There's no question it's already being used for other purposes. Various police organizations, especially the feds, are never more than a warrant away from everything you've ever done on the internet.

Anybody who believe that anything they do online is even remotely private has no idea how computer networks work.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not seen a single ad. But then, adblockplus does an excellent job keeping ads away from me.
LOL. If I'm at a computer that has no ad blocker(s) installed in it's internet browser, and I see how the internet *really* looks, I'd sometimes want that it was never invented.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote