Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: kindle
How much is too Much?

Okay so I'm getting the hang of transitioning documents into sigil to be displayed on the kindle. The book that I'm currently working on has 48,460 words or rather 215 pages. At the rate im going I'm going to have so many "Section####.xhtml". Am I going about doing this the right way? What do you think? I tried to see if I could add folders into the book browser to organize all the sections but could not find any option for that

Using Sigil 0.8.4

-Thanks
oiver55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What are you exactly doing? How can you ask us if you are doing it right if you don't describe what you do?

As a rule of thumb, each chapter gets its own file. For a book of that size, I think around 12 chapters? So, including cover page, titlepage, colofon, dedication, things like that, you end up probably with a file of 20. You know you can split in one go? Use S&R, potentially RegEx, to identify the place of splits and insert a split marker. Press F6 and the split is executed.

Folders are not supported, at least not in this version. Perhaps in the next version this is possible. Some posts from KevinH seem to indicate that.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Try to forget Pages

An EPUB is more like a roll of TP that you unroll as much as needed to fill the screen (1 sheet per current zoom).
Splitting at Chapters also helps with performance on low power devices. I split even for a tiny chapter, just for structural consistency
A side benefit of working on a single chapter: screw-ups leave less to fix

You can Merge (consolidate) those fragments of chapters. Select the pice to be added above: ctrl-M (Bulk mode: Select the whole set of pieces, incl first piece, ctrl-M)

I have seen single books with 170+ chapters (EPUB about 1M). I recently saw a Boxed set (22 books) done as 1 EPUB (9M )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
oiver55
Enthusiast
oiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windowsoiver55 format shifts faster than booting Windows

Oh okay I see, I was making a section for each page, but rather it is suppose to be a chapter for each section.

What I am doing exactly is I'm taking a book and publishing it into a ebook format. I have the word document for the book, and I've run it through an online doc to html converter so now I am copying and pasting the clean code in sigil.

-Thanks
Old 04-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Take a look at my Word add-in. Besides many other things, it will also create an ePUB directly from Word with clean code. If you use styles in Word for the headings you can have it split automatically. You can also add an chapter break indicator where the document will be split.
There are many more options and will cut down your processing time big time.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiver55 View Post
Oh okay I see, I was making a section for each page, but rather it is suppose to be a chapter for each section.

What I am doing exactly is I'm taking a book and publishing it into a ebook format. I have the word document for the book, and I've run it through an online doc to html converter so now I am copying and pasting the clean code in sigil.

-Thanks
You might find Calibre a better tool for this job than Sigil. Just drop the DOCX file into Calibre and use the built-in conversion to MOBI. Or convert to EPUB, then drop it into Kindle Previewer for Kindle-approved conversion.

If your Word Document is well-constructed, the result should be near-perfect.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
oiver55
Enthusiast

Wow! okay will give these other options a try.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a section wherever I would start a new page in a print document: cover (if there's a cover), title page, copyright page, chapter one through whatever, every photograph except in rare instances, copyright page / about the author, and so on, usually to the tune of thirty or forty sections. Anything that you want to flow, keep in the same section.

Before you begin to split the document, be sure to have your first "page" complete. I put in the following:

<head>
<title>Book Title</title>
<meta content="Author Name" name="Author" />
<link href="../Styles/epub.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

With the most important being the style sheet. Before I realized this, I was replicating the style sheet in every section thereafter, because whatever's in the <head> section of the original file is copied into the new section.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #9
oiver55
Enthusiast

Noted

Tags
sigil