Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-31-2019, 07:04 AM   #1
Emanuele42
Emanuele42 doesn't litterEmanuele42 doesn't litterEmanuele42 doesn't litter

Device: none
Wink Error when using ebook-convert: "invalid start byte"

I get this error when I attempt any conversion using ebook-convert.
I have the DeDRM and obok plugins installed.
My platform is linux.
This is the complete failure log:
Code:
$ ebook-convert /path/Patrick_van_Veen.tmp.epub /path2/Patrick_van_Veen.epub
1% Converting input to HTML...
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /path/Patrick_van_Veen.tmp.epub
Found HTML cover OEBPS/Text/00_Cover.xhtml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/ebook-convert", line 20, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/PYTHON/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/conversion/cli.py", line 380, in main
    plumber.run()
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/PYTHON/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1057, in run
    accelerators, tdir)
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/PYTHON/lib/calibre/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 241, in call
    log, accelerators)
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/PYTHON/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/epub_input.py", line 256, in convert
    nopf.write(opf.render())
  File "/home/phablet/.local/share/sturmreader.emanuelesorce/calibre/PYTHON/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/metadata/opf2.py", line 1271, in render
    raw = etree.tostring(self.root, encoding='ascii', pretty_print=True)
  File "src/lxml/lxml.etree.pyx", line 3326, in lxml.etree.tostring (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:84227)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xa5 in position 0: invalid start byte
-> exit code: 1
thanks!!
Emanuele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You appear to have either built calibre from source or using some non-standard package of it. use the official binaries and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 05:22 AM   #3
Emanuele42

Yes. In fact what I am I doing is packaging Calibre for Ubuntu Touch. Maybe it's difficult, but could you give some suggestion on what causes the problem or what to do to solve it?
Old 01-01-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the tracebacks does not match line numbers in current calibre source, can you generate one with current source?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Emanuele42

For this I prefer to use the Calibre version that is in the distro repository, that is 2.55.0.
But if that's a problem, I can build from current source
Interesting detail I missed in the first post is that in the container I use to build Calibre doesn't raise that error, but in the target environment it fails.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

2.55 is ancient no way anyone is going to be able to help with that.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Emanuele42

Ok I will try with latest master and report back. Thanks
Old 01-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Emanuele42

I am having some issues building calibre, I am not sure I am starting from the right place since I have not found any clue or guide or documentation about building it. But I am sure it's me missing it, where can I find something helpful with that?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There is no guide as such, scripts to build all calibre dependencies are here: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/bypy
Old 01-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
Emanuele42

I see. But I have issues handling the Calibre buiding and in general handling the use of Calibre in my project. But I understand it's me doing not standard things so it's ok that you can't just tell me what to do.
I really care about this project I am working on, so if someone wants to assist me step by step solving this issue guiding me I will be happy to pay him for the support

Tags
ebook-convert, encoding, unicode