Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #136
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just sitting down on a stormy night to start Speaking from Among the Bones, the fifth book in the Flavia deLuce mysteries. Since reading the first one, I've read every succeeding one as soon as it was released, and I am excited to start this one.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #137
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One month in and I've got 9 of 44 years checked off. A great start to a big list.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #138
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Last day of the month. Finish up strong!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #139
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So, how did I do in January?

Well, not too brilliantly. The changes to Baen's Monthly Webscriptions meant that I bought the February bundle while it was still available. The departure of Fictionwise meant that I had to find a new subscription for Analog and Asimovs, which turned out to be Amazon, which meant that I have bought two issues of each this month, as Fictionwise was a bit behind on issues. Addding in my subscription to F&SF and Grantville Gazette and one book bought on a Kobo discount code, that comes to a grand total of 13 (thirteen!) books bought in January.

Since my aim is to buy no more than 120 books this year, this is a bit of a problem.

Especially as I expect my total purchases in February to come to at least 20 books, given that I'll be buying the books from the December and January Baen monthly bundles (special voucher codes in an email from Baen. See the Baen ebooks webpage), as well as the March bundle, and there'll be more issues of Analog and Asimovs.

That will leave me a quota of just 87 or so for the other 10 months. Unfortunately, approx. six books per Baen month, and my regular subscriptions to GG, F&SF, Analog and Asimov's for the remain ten months add up to 86 books.

Hmm... I don't think I need to worry about looking for Kobo or B&N or Amazon special offers or vouchers in 2013! I'll be using all my book allowance on subscriptions and Baen Monthly bundles!

I didn't think 120 books in a year would be so hard!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #140
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I read 10 books in January and none of them came from my Challenge List of 25. I was finishing a few of my favourite series from 2012 and the books were quite long.

Today I'm starting the first from my Challenge List: A Game of Thrones.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #141
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Starting off very well I am working on books numbers eleven and twelve. At this rate I should blow right past my goal of eighty-five and ge through well over one hundred this year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #142
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finished my 7th book last night, and given the demands of my new job, I am very pleased with that. I probably would have managed a bit more save for the fact that one of them was Wilkie Collins' paid-by-the-word Woman in White.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #143
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I started out with a goal of 100 raised to 120 and then 150. Silly. The goal should simply be to read what I enjoy whenever I want. I completed 13 books with two of them at almost 1000 pages each.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I looked at my possible planned challenges, distilled it, then diluted it, and ended up with: read stuff.

Mostly because I've gotten really bad at keeping things updated beyond the Goodreads shelving.
I've already decided this time I was just going to read and track how many books I've read. I have no number in mind. Last year I chose 75 books and I hit that. This time, I plan on reading anything that catches my fancy regardless of size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just sitting down on a stormy night to start Speaking from Among the Bones, the fifth book in the Flavia deLuce mysteries. Since reading the first one, I've read every succeeding one as soon as it was released, and I am excited to start this one.
I've put the first one on reserve at the library because of your post.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #146
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
To put it bluntly, quantity wise, January was crap! I only read two books. Quality wise, however, I truly enjoyed Among Others, which lead to my discovering The Great Book of Amber, which currently leads in the "Please Help Me Get Out of This Rut" poll I put up.

I am confident I will have a much better February, quality wise, than January.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #147
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've finished 3 and bought 5, so behind by 2 so far. I'm not far from finishing the 4th book, so not too bad.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #148
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Finished 12 and bought only 1! I am oooooooooooooon fire .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #149
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've put the first one on reserve at the library because of your post.
I hope you enjoy it. I recommended them to my father, and he (as a former high school science teacher) adored Flavia.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #150
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I hope you enjoy it. I recommended them to my father, and he (as a former high school science teacher) adored Flavia.
Just want to second your recommendation. I also love Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce novels although I've read only the first three and want to catch up. Thanks for the reminder.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote