Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Boomerang

Hi,

I would like to extend an invitation to come check out the opening chapters of Boomerang, my comic novel of international intrigue.

Opening chapters of Boomerang

It is available as an ebook on Amazon Kindle or Smashwords.

Boomerang on Amazon

Boomerang at Smashwords

And of course I would like to say thank you to those of you who have already added Boomerang to your library. I would love for you to let me know what you think.

Best,
Alan Hutcheson
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And while we're at it, an extension of the coupon to get Boomerang free from Smashwords.

Coupon Code: TG36A

Boomerang at Smashwords
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Nice! And 0.99 is a very good price, I have just bought it

May I ask, how much do you get per book sold?
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
plumboz
Novelist

You Spent Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimborg View Post
Nice! And 0.99 is a very good price, I have just bought it

May I ask, how much do you get per book sold?
Well, first I must say Thank You.

Secondly, may I say I very much hope you enjoy Boomerang.

Smashwords is a bit more lucrative than Amazon's Kindle (where for some reason I set the price at an even dollar). Fifty-six cents goes to the author when a ninety-nine cent purchase is made. Add to that the value of the bit of euphoria that bubbles to the surface whenever one has a new reader, and it adds up to the equivalent of somewhere around fourteen hundred dollars per sale. It's what I call soul money.

Best,
Alan

Now off to the day job. More negotiable funds, much less euphoria.

P.S. Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
plumboz
Novelist

Excerpt from Boomerang

Here's a bit from near the beginning of Boomerang, in which Ted Hogwood, ex-NBA journeyman power forward and current jazz guitarist/bookstore employee, loses both of his gigs. We open with Ted in the bookstore manager's office.

"Ted," Marci said, "it was just, Monday I believe, when we had a conversation about proper customer interaction. Do you remember that conversation?"

"Yes, I do." Ted rolled his eyes. "The person who thought I was making fun of his purchase."

"Much the same comment we've had from all these folks." Marci indicated the pile of papers. "Thirty-four, at last count. Not including the customers who have spoken to me personally about your, shall we say, lack of professional detachment regarding their purchases."

“I try Marci, and I know you have to stock some of this crap. Sorry.” She nodded. “But you've got to admit, it's pretty tough to keep a straight face when somebody brings a copy of Everybody's Wrong But Me, or Your Liberal Neighbors, Abandoning God, Destroying America to the counter. The people buying this dreck actually believe some kind of thought went into it beyond separating them from their cash and common sense.”

“I understand, but when I get a letter like this,” Marci picked up the top sheet from the file folder, “less than a week after our last talk, I'm afraid I have to take some action.” She read from the letter. “‘You may not be familiar with the fact that rolling one's eyes and snorting is not considered decent behavior in a customer-service oriented business. The oversized, middle-aged troll'…“ Marci winced sympathetically, “…‘that you have working in your store obviously thinks he has license to make just such thinly veiled editorial comments concerning my choice of reading material. I have tolerated it in the past, but enough is enough. Please be informed that I have license to choose another bookstore and will not only do so, but will also persuade all of my friends and acquaintances to do the same.’”

“Wait, don't tell me.” Ted held up his Man Thinking hand again, slowly, so as not to throw off his balance on the gallant, inadequate chair. “This has got to be the moron who bought How To Be First in Line, EVERYTIME.”

Marci put the paper back on top of the pile and shook her head.
“Ted, this can't go on.”

“He also bought Feel, Think, Do and Work to Play/Play to Work,” Ted said, reinforcing his case.

“That’s not the point. The point is that he is a customer. What he chooses to buy doesn't matter. What matters is that I can't let this happen in my store. I've tried to make allowances, Ted, you know I have. You do bring some very positive qualities to the place. But I can't afford to spend so much of my time and energy putting out all the fires you ignite.”

“Point well taken.” Both hands went up in submission, again slowly, mindful of his perch. Then the left hand came down, the right staying up in pledge. “Promise. I will keep my opinions to myself. The last thing I want to do is make your life more difficult.”

“Ted,” Marci said. “You don't understand what it is I'm having to say here.”

“I completely understand, Marci. Business is business and I've just got to control myself no matter how stupid―”

”You're fired.”

That evening, when Ted and Sarah, his beloved Gibson L5-CES jazz guitar, reported to the Blue Raspberry Cafe for the low paying, two night a week gig his quarrelsome, unnamed quintet had had for the last three months, he was informed by the wife of the couple that owned the establishment that her husband had run off with Roscoe, the group’s fiftyish, tie-dye favoring drummer. At the moment she was feeling antipathetic towards the male of the species, jazz players in particular, and could not guarantee Ted's safety if he chose to remain on the premises. She seemed only marginally aware of the large, rather rusty kitchen knife in her hand. Ted felt it best to leave before she became fully alive to the fact.

Check out Boomerang on Amazon or Smashwords.

Best,
Alan
Advert
Old 10-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
plumboz
Novelist

Intro Price Going Bye-bye

When I published Boomerang on Smashwords I decided to price it at ninety-nine cents for a month, then bring it to $1.99. Well, the month has passed and I've kept my promise to myself. I have done the same at Amazon/Kindle, but of course any changes there take a few days to take effect, so the one dollar price will be good there until they decide to make the change.

So.....if you would like to check out Boomerang, may I suggest now would be a good time? Just a dollar on Amazon. And if you prefer to get yours from Smashwords, the free coupon is still good until Nov. 15.

And of course thanks to everyone who has downloaded Boomerang already. It's been a good month for Ted, Jerry, Doreen, Amelia, Leslie the assassin, and Bethie the Not-Quite-What-She-Appears-To-Be clothing optional ex-Onion Festival Queen.

Boomerang at Smashwords

Coupon Code: DL66H

Boomerang for Amazon Kindle

Best,
Alan

Last edited by plumboz; 10-26-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just took advantage of this. Thanks!

And thanks to Dreams in the What are we Reading thread.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
plumboz
Novelist

Thanks, Kenny!

Well, looks like a price change takes a lot less time for Amazon to execute than a cover art change (that took six days). So we're at $1.99 at both Amazon and Smashwords, but the Smashwords coupon is good until Nov. 15.

I won't turn away the cash, but what I really crave is readers!

Honesty in advertising.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
plumboz
Novelist

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who helped make October the best month ever for Boomerang. Between some nice sales at both Amazon and Smashwords and the participation in the launch of Operation eBook Drop, along with some great education in the whys and how-to's of the ebook business, it's just been a landmark month.

Ted, Jerry, Doreen, Amelia, Leslie the assassin, Phillips Steve and Mrs. Kinsbury, as well as Bethie all wish everyone here a great November!

And so, of course, do I!