Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
azulasa
azulasa began at the beginning.

Device: none until know
experience with reading djvu documents on the hanlin ebook?

Hi there,

I am thinking about buying an ebook reading device. Since most of the (technical) books I have are in djvu it is very important for me, that the device allows comfortable reading of djvu files.

The specifications of the new hanlin ebook say, that djvu is supported, but I could not find much information in the web about this from "non-commercial" sources.

A very optimistic interpretation of this is that reading in djvu works fine out of the box, so no ebook owners are complaining about it. (The pessimistic interpretation is, that not many people are reading in djvu and nobody cares about it anyway.)

So if you have a hanlin ebook and if you are reading documents in djvu, could you just tell me,
if it works,
if you experienced any problems and
if you find it more comfortable than reading djvus on a laptop?

Many thanks in advance!
azulasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
From my experience djvu files are displayed well on the Hanlin V3, they load fast and are rendered accurately. The only problem are the limitations imposed by the screen size, you'll encounter the exact same problem as with pdf files: your mileage will vary with each and every individual file.

There are three zoom levels and most of the time you will have to resort to the landscape mode since most of the documents are scanned and formatted with a standard A4 or Letter sized output in mind.

My advice would be to wait for a device with a larger display like the Hanlin V9.

Regards
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
As for me, the most annoying thing with DjVu - is page-to-page changing time. It is about 3-4 seconds, so laptop is much better if I need to quickly find some place in the DjVu book (not so often I need to read whole book, mostly I only need to find some info in it).
But overall readability and stability of DjVu on V3 is much better than of PDF (maybe it is because almost all my books in DjVu format have 11.5cm text width, and many PDF have 14-15cm?)
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Hi

If you don;t mind you may send your djvu file to me and I can test it out for you and tell you and even, snap pictures for you the effect on Hanlin V3 screen.
I am agent for Hanlin in Malaysia, so, I can do a better service than manufacturer.

Do email to me at hpkeong@streamyx.com

Cheers
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote