Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Samsung Galaxy Player Price Drop

Amazon and Best Buy have dropped the prices of the Galaxy Players. The 4" is now $200 (formerly $230) and the 5" is now $240 (formerly $270). They're readily available at both stores.

I have one of each and they're great media players/tablets. They're essentially Galaxy S1 phones without the 3G radio. I got the 4" to replace my iPod touch 4 and the 5" to replace my Nook Color CM7. I'm very pleased with both of them and the roles they play in my gadget lineup.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-13-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: data correction
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
And I'm broke...

I really like the looks of the 4" one.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And I'm broke...

I really like the looks of the 4" one.
It's really nice. I plan to carry this one around with me because of its better feature set as compared to my iPod touch 4. The Galaxy will allow me to do outdoor activities I could never do with the iPod - geocaching, hiking, sky maps, etc.

Galaxy Player 4 vs iPod touch 4
  • faster CPU (1 GHz vs 800 MHz)
  • larger RAM (512MB vs 256MB)
  • larger display (4" vs 3.5")
  • speakers: stereo vs mono / much louder vs barely audible
  • larger battery (1200 mAh vs 930 mAh)
  • rear camera: higher res (3.2 MP vs 0.7 MP) / auto focus vs fixed
  • mSD card slot (yes vs none)
  • FM radio (yes vs none)
  • GPS (yes vs none)
  • compass (yes vs none)
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
The 5" was $209 at Best Buy last week.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
The 5" was $209 at Best Buy last week.
These are price drops, not sale prices.
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I picked up the SGP 4 a couple of days ago. I really like it. I have owned several iPods, 3 iPod touches (latest one the gen 4) and a iPad but I am getting out of the iOS ecosystem.

The Kindle Fire is really to blame. Once I started playing around loading music up to the Amazon Cloud, I could not justify dealing with iTunes again. Now I just load the music to the cloud and stream my collection. Much more satisfactory.

And the flexibility of Android has made a believer of me. I will keep the iPad I have for games at home, but for on the go, I am sticking with Kindle Fire for video and ebooks and the SGP 4 for music, GPS and FM and internet radio.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 12-13-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also psyched that the SGP 4 has bluetooth. Really wish the Fire had that.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I picked up the SGP 4 a couple of days ago. I really like it. I have owned several iPods, 3 iPod touches (latest one the gen 4) and a iPad but I am getting out of the iOS ecosystem.
I thought I was leaving iOS too, but I won't just yet. I love my SGP4, but it has one major drawback - a lack of accessories (speaker docks, covers, shields, etc). My iPt4, on the other hand, has a ton of available accessories.

I have several speaker docks and rely on my iPod for music streaming and audiobooks as I move about the house. It's extremely convenient to plant it in the dock and continue where I left off. Not so for my SGP. I have to lay it down, hook up an aux cord from the speaker dock to the headphone jack, and then the power cord to a wall socket. What a cluttered, inconvenient mess.

So I decided to keep the 8GB iPt4 I bought on Black Friday. It's an amazing internet radio device. I'm giving my 32GB iPt4 away to a family member.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I thought I was leaving iOS too, but I won't just yet. I love my SGP4, but it has one major drawback - a lack of accessories (speaker docks, covers, shields, etc). My iPt4, on the other hand, has a ton of available accessories.
Yeah, I never used a dock with my iPt's. Or covers or shield for that matter. I usually just use bluetooth for mobility, leaving the iPt on a desk. So accessories are not a concern for me.

But if anyone discovers a good reasonably priced cover, I might get one.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

... and now, after I realized that the free 5 gb were just not gonna be adequate for my music colection, I ordered the 20 gb for $20/yr option. And I did not know it at the time, but all the music files I have saved from emusic.com, and all MP3 files do not count against the 20gb! Now I am not sure what I am gonna fill the cloud with.

I'll think of sumthin.

Amazon is really playing hardball.

EDIT: ... and now I realize that is just for the first year. I'll let the 20 gb lay fallow for when Amazon decides to charge me for the non-Amazon music next year.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 12-14-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Amazon and Best Buy have dropped the prices of the Galaxy Players. The 4" is now $200 (formerly $230) and the 5" is now $240 (formerly $270). They're readily available at both stores.

I have one of each and they're great media players/tablets. They're essentially Galaxy S1 phones without the 3G radio.
And without the Super AMOLED screen, gorilla glass, 16MB internal storage. Still a good deal, got the 5" player for my daughter.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Planning a trip to Best Buy tomorrow morn to check out both sizes. Looks like a good deal to use on bus/car trips. Better size than Nook Color for traveling.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
And without the Super AMOLED screen, gorilla glass, 16MB internal storage. Still a good deal, got the 5" player for my daughter.
Yep; and most importantly, without that pesky forced data plan
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
Planning a trip to Best Buy tomorrow morn to check out both sizes. Looks like a good deal to use on bus/car trips. Better size than Nook Color for traveling.
Let us know how it goes and which one you like best.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Yep; and most importantly, without that pesky forced data plan
So I setup the 5" device with an account and some games she likes, so when she opens it it's read to go.

The screen is brilliant and the 5" is an excellent size. Still not as nice as the AMOLED screen, but without a side by side reference I'd be none the wiser. TubeM I can see why you've quit using the nook for the G Player.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote