Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #61
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to MobileRead's Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required.

Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #62
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have had a Coby 1 gig Mp3 player for 4 yrs purchased on disc sale Not had a problem. My only Coby experince LOL I asked about Coby. Want to get more in put before deciding.

Please Pros/Cons on PRODUCTS Not each other! I am reading ALL comments! Wont guarentee I Understand them tho LOL

Does 1 processor or 2 processor make movies stream better? I hate the Buffering I get when watching a video online thru my laptop UGH

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have had a Coby 1 gig Mp3 player for 4 yrs purchased on disc sale Not had a problem. My only Coby experince LOL I asked about Coby. Want to get more in put before deciding.

Please Pros/Cons on PRODUCTS Not each other! I am reading ALL comments! Wont guarentee I Understand them tho LOL

Does 1 processor or 2 processor make movies stream better? I hate the Buffering I get when watching a video online thru my laptop UGH
That's probably going to depend on your internet connection as well as the current laptop. Since the Fire in particular is designed to be a video display device it should not have any issues, but a slow connection could still cause buffering.

What speed is your internet connection?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #64
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL No Clue! I use a Netgear WiFi & Cable Economy internet.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #65
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
LOL No Clue! I use a Netgear WiFi & Cable Economy internet.
I do know Amazon has a "test" you can run to see if your setup works....I'll see if I can find it.

Sorry, I'm not finding it....maybe it was during the install...
closest I can get is this troubleshooting page.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...net_connection

under the Internet Connection is a speed test that will tell you how fast your connection is.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-14-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #66
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So would you say Coby is a good brand for a tablet? I know around here Coby's other stuff like mp3 player, radios and such is junk.
Back when I was a teenager (many moons ago!), Coby was not known for quality. I don't know if that has changed and how much my teenage snobbish tendencies may have influenced my perception. Back then Sony was "the thing."

I have been looking at the Coby Kyros 8-inch Android 2.3 Internet Touchscreen Tablet (MID8125-4G), which sells for around $170. There is a lesser-priced 7" model, which may have some different specs than below.

Here are the specs for the 8-inch Coby Kyros:

8" resistive touchscreen, 800 x 600, 4:3 aspect ratio
1 GHz Telechip Cortex A8 processor
4GB internal storage
micro SD (to 32GB)
mini-HDMI (1080p output)
Android 2.3
can use Flash
auto rotates
camera (front-facing) & microphone
wifi 802.11 b/g
USB
1.184 lbs.

NO GPS

It comes with Aldiko Reader, but you can install Kindle Reader
Access to AppsLib Apps (no Android Market), and you can get Amazon Apps too
Overall rating at Amazon is 3-1/2 stars out of 5 (282 customer reviews)

It does have some nice features for the price. I'm concerned about the screen being resistive and resolution at 800 x 600 (vs. capacitive and 1024 x 600 on the Fire and Lenovo A1). I've never owned a smartphone or a tablet, so I'm not sure how much those things would matter to me, but screen clarity is important.

I'm still trying to define exactly what I want/need a tablet to do, so I have no idea whether a smaller device is the better choice for me or if I should spend the Big Bucks and get a larger one with more capabilities, like the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 ($390 plus another $110 for the optional keyboard/docking station = $500).

Portability isn't a huge factor for me, but maybe a 10" tablet would get too tiring to hold? I've never watched a movie on a 7" screen, but it seems very small. And the full-color magazine covers on the Kindle Fire look beautiful, but what is the text going to look like? I don't expect that PDFs would be much more readable on a Fire than a Kindle reader either. I'd love to have both a small and large tablet, but that's not going to happen unless the Universe dumps a bundle of money in my lap.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #67
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ugh, 4:3 kills it right off the bat, for me. It could cook me pancakes, and I wouldn't buy it with that display format. I actually find it surprising that any modern manufacturer would still use it.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #68
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
If the device is doing the decoding itself, 2 processors will destroy a single. However, kennyc is correct: the speed of your internet is likely to have much more impact on your viewing experience, on most modern devices. The delivery stream is the bottleneck.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #69
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I know I was asked about internet connection.... Heres the specs on my laptop:

HP Compaq CQ Notebook PC
Processor Intel[R] Celeron [R] CPU 900@ 2.20GHz 2.19GHz
Memory 2GB
64-bit OS Win 7

ALL greek to me LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #70
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Ugh, 4:3 kills it right off the bat, for me. It could cook me pancakes, and I wouldn't buy it with that display format. I actually find it surprising that any modern manufacturer would still use it.
one word: iPad

For the record I don't care for the 4:3 ration either given that HD is the current thing.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-14-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #71
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Back when I was a teenager (many moons ago!), Coby was not known for quality. I don't know if that has changed and how much my teenage snobbish tendencies may have influenced my perception. Back then Sony was "the thing."

I have been looking at the Coby Kyros 8-inch Android 2.3 Internet Touchscreen Tablet (MID8125-4G), which sells for around $170. There is a lesser-priced 7" model, which may have some different specs than below.

I'm still trying to define exactly what I want/need a tablet to do, so I have no idea whether a smaller device is the better choice for me or if I should spend the Big Bucks and get a larger one with more capabilities, like the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 ($390 plus another $110 for the optional keyboard/docking station = $500).

I want a 7 inch or 8 inch at the most. I don't plan to watch movies on mine. I want a cheap tablet that I can read books on. I use Cool Reader and Mantano on my phone and I am looking for something just a little bigger then my 3.2" screen but doesn't feel like I am holding a brick. My phone is a LG Vortex and as long as the screen is just as good I would be happy.

My Phone's specs
Technology:
LCD
Resolution:
320 x 480 pixels
Physical Size:
3.20 inches
Colors:
262 144
Touch Screen:
Yes (Capacitive)
Multi-touch:
Yes
Proximity Sensor:
Yes
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #72
gweminence
Fat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
one word: iPad
one of the many reasons I don't, nor ever will, own one.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #73
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
@ Blossom: I didn't know you are using Mantano solely on a phone! My goodness, you do need a tablet.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
one of the many reasons I don't, nor ever will, own one.
Karma for that one.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #75
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I want a 7 inch or 8 inch at the most. I don't plan to watch movies on mine. I want a cheap tablet that I can read books on.
Just wondering... You have two Kindles. Why would you want/need a tablet if you're only going to use it to read books?

Is it the lure of color? I have to admit that I would enjoy seeing ebook covers in full color. They are like art to me. My K3 is great for reading (love e-ink), but it is a little boring without color.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote