Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I only need them for fine print and can't bear the idea of sticking things into my eyes. So the Sony Reader is rather useful in that respect.
I like not having to worry about finishing the book I have with me and then having nothing to read when I am not at home. The Reader allows me to finish a book and then start or continue with another book.

If I am reading a dead tree book and it's almost done, I have to find another to take with me instead otherwise I'll have to carry two books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Maturity teaches that life is not black and while but constituted of an infinite number of shades.

I love paper as much as eformats. To me the essential is content. The message is of importance, don't shoot the messenger.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;95711
Maturity teaches that life is not black and while but constituted of an infinite number of shades.

I love paper as much as eformats. To me the essential is content. The message is of importance, don't shoot the messenger.
dead tree books suck because yvanleterrible enjoys the feel of a dead tree in his hands.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
dead tree books suck because yvanleterrible enjoys the feel of a dead tree in his hands.
I didn't say that, Jon because I hate the weight of paper. There are many reasons for liking books as there are for liking readers also. I like them for different reasons. For instance trees are organic as readers are a pile of toxic metals and chemicals. Put your nose at an opening and breathe in... not a good healthy smell.

You have to be objective about such judgements. Be it known that in the end my balance tilts towards e-content. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

And for your information books are not all printed on dead trees. There are many alternatives such as cotton and bamboo. You could as well call them Dead Bamboo books if you wish.

For debating purposes would any one want to hear arguments opposing every point of Adam's list? That is what you'll all have to face outside of MR, as a lot of you have done I'm sure! You have to face pretty intelligent and learned people. I have failed often in this.

See, Adams puerile list is for fun, to show how we love this new way of reading, but each point is debatable because none of them is perfect and they are all pretty easy to pulverize. This is a show of goodwill, although prejudiced, according to my views of life.

Prejudice is a quick way of categorizing things, simplifying choices. It is not good to live by it. It is just useful to maintain a quick bearing in one's convictions. That's all. Everything is a balance and this crusade is so fragile that anything is likely to tip the scale off to the other side.

Sorry to break the party but this is not a way to gather new friends.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #35
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I don't think that a point-counterpoint is necesary with my list. Most of it is just random musings and my attempt a humor. I'm sure it's quite easy to debunk most of my points.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I don't think that a point-counterpoint is necesary with my list. Most of it is just random musings and my attempt a humor. I'm sure it's quite easy to debunk most of my points.
You're a bright fellow Adam most everyone saw that this was for fun. Although some people with lets say... fanatic tendencies might be encouraged to gather weapons for a witch hunt much too eagerly.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
But we have the other thread for that one.

Besides, it wouldn't be nearly as fun if we only stuck to good reasons ... in addition to the witch hunt encouragement aspect, of course.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #38
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
because i already have the apartment overloaded with bookshelves also made with dead trees and if i add any more the floor may give way and i will then be living with my downstairs neighbor, the cute single blonde about 10 years younger ... gotta go get more pbooks ...
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
because i already have the apartment overloaded with bookshelves also made with dead trees and if i add any more the floor may give way and i will then be living with my downstairs neighbor, the cute single blonde about 10 years younger ... gotta go get more pbooks ...
I think this post belongs in the why ebooks suck thread. That sounds like a good reason to have MORE dead tree books.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #40
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think this post belongs in the why ebooks suck thread. That sounds like a good reason to have MORE dead tree books.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #41
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Here's another: I've had several cats who liked to sharpen their claws on paper books. I have yet to see any of them attempting this with an ebook.
Nah, they just try to sit on the reader if they can

Ahhh, there, right there, a reason to buy a 2nd reader! Also:

- When a cat sits on your reader just grab your 2nd (or 3rd!) reader and continue. With pbooks you have to buy more than 1 copy for this to work, with ebooks you can read the same legal ebook on more (4 usually ) devices!
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #42
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Here's another: if you have a bad cold or allergies, and you sneeze on an e-reader, you can just wipe it off. On a paper book... well, it's gross.

Last edited by nekokami; 09-10-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Wrong smileycon... what's wrong with the "Eek!" smiley?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Here's another: if you have a bad cold or allergies, and you sneeze on an e-reader, you can just wipe it off. On a paper book... well, it's gross.
But some books should be snot on like romance novels.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM   #44
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Each printed book takes copious amounts of expensive and non-biodegradable chemicals and bleaches to make the paper, more expensive chemicals to make the ink, and precious fuel resources to transport. An e-book reader is also made of expensive and non-biodegradable materials, but as it can hold (conservatively) hundreds of books, it uses less materials to be produced and less fuel to transport than the equivalent amount of printed books.

The weight of textbooks is contributing to hitherto-unseen back problems in America's youth, which will adversely impact health care costs as they get older.

Collecting books and magazines can be impossible in places where living space is at a premium due to cost and/or overcrowding.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #45
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
And usually the ink is a petroleum product, too!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote