Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
e-ink ereaders and airport x-rays

Heading off to Melbourne next week for a well earned holiday (plus Melbourne Model Expo is on ) and intend to take my PRS-300 travel ereader so I can read.

Never taken an ereader through airport security before and was wondering if they are OK with x-ray machines? I know digicams, laptops etc are fine but am worried about the display side of my travel ereader.

Anything to further concern me?
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You will be fine.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I've taken my 505 on more flights than I care to count, and it's always survived unscathed. I'm taking my sweet new friend, 650, on a flight tomorrow.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I've taken mine, no problems at all. Lucky you to be going to Melbourne, my favourite city in Oz. Have fun.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Melbourne Model Expo
Sabredog......right on! Have fun, I'm jealous.
I regularly attend IPMS events up here. Do they usually post up entry photos?
On many other forums I can be found as either Zipper104 or Sword86.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi worldeater

I build braille scale armour and aircraft normally. Both my wife and I are defending our respective divisions this year

http://www.modelexpo.com.au/gallery.html

Going to have a great time as we are going with friends who are also members of our club.

Thanks to everyone who have helped with my question. Removes much of my concerns.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
No, you can't hide drugs in it.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I fly a lot with my Kindle. Two small points:
  1. the airports I mainly use like you to put your reader out visibly (along with your laptop) when going through the check;
  2. You may be asked to keep it switched off during take-off and landing, so take a paper or magazine as well.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Braille??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Hi worldeater

I build braille scale armour and aircraft normally.
Not familiar with that. I'm thinking a really tiny scale. 1/144?? Smaller?
Flats?

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
No problems with e-readers through Tullamarine airport for sure.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I took my old trusty Sony PRS-500 through quite a few airports in its time.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordeater View Post
Not familiar with that. I'm thinking a really tiny scale. 1/144?? Smaller?
Flats?

WE
1:72/76 armour, 1:72 aircraft

I have sat my PRS-300 on top of my competition models which are within foam protection inside boxes, stacked inside a "green" canvas shopping bag.

Should be fine there and within easy reach.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
Panda Rose
Zealot
Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panda Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs505, Kindle 3, iPhone4
My PRS 505 has been through the scanner many times in my handbag. Never a problem. But it irritates me that I have to turn it off during take off and landing. It is not WiFi!
Panda Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I usually have mine tucked in my backpack through the scanner and it's never been pulled for inspection. I know many people have gone round and round with flight attendants over when to turn them on and off but I've never had anybody say a thing to me about my Kindle. I usually just browse the sky auction magazine thing on take-off until I hear the ding and then I pull the Kindle out. I've never had a flight attendant ask me to put it away for landing, so I never have.

Best advice

DO NOT TUCK IT INTO THE SEATBACK POCKET AND THEN LEAVE IT!

sorry. It's just we see that all the time on the boards. Apparently it's really easy to do.

Have a great trip.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm not advocating this, but ...

on a recent commuter flight (19 seat prop plane) a woman read her Nook book from the time she sat down until the boarding door re-opened - there was no flight attendant to stop her, just an electronics request from the pilot. I'm still here.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote