Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Don't forget to change your clocks?

Just a little reminder for those it applies to in the US, that tonight Daylight Savings Time ends and it's time to "fall back".

All of this messing with time, boggles my mind. Why do we still do it? How does that work when most states do it some states don't? Do they do this in Canada? Does anyone else outside the US do this time change thing? (I mean, besides the Doctor, of course.)

Well, for those that do, enjoy that extra hour of sleep!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thanks for the reminder! I have become tired of resetting the time, and I no longer climb a ladder to change my clocks that are up high (12 to 14 feet). I just leave them at the regular time.

I found this link to answer a few questions.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...fall-back.html
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
In the UK the clocks changed last week - people in the north like it, although there are always efforts to do away with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8321809.stm
"A prominent historian has called for the UK to adopt the same time zone as the rest of central Europe, leaving Scotland to its own "tundra time"...
Sir Alistair, who said he was 99% Scottish, said the rest of the UK should not lose an hour of evening daylight just because Scottish farmers did not want to milk in the dark."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Not just the UK; most of Europe put their clocks back last week.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wait a minute, you're telling me all this summer time / winter time nonsense is all the fault of scottish farmers ? bloody farmers ! if they didn't want to be mucking about with cows at dawn o'clock they should have become webdesigners instead ! i say, let's just PICK ONE and stay there ! i don't even actually care that much if we stay on summer time or winter time, it's the switching back and forth twice a year that i don't like. (france switched last weekend too).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I *love* this time of year!! I donʻt have to change a darn thing, but suddenly, my family in the midwest is at a *much* more reasonable time! Yaay for dst! Or, the ending of dst! I get it all mixed up. It seems silly to me, so Iʻm glad Iʻve spent the last (almost) 10 years living in two of the few states that donʻt bother messing with the clock. Yaay smart states!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Not just the UK; most of Europe put their clocks back last week.***

Yup, Patricia; MOST of Europe. Chez Marr missed out and we stuck to Cat Time, which meant I was at my desk at about 4.30am last Sunday. Our cat has a wee computerised implant just under the skin that's stacked with all kinds of info, but the technovets haven't yet come up with a way to automatically adjust the feline body clock to take into account Daylight Saving. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
wait a minute, you're telling me all this summer time / winter time nonsense is all the fault of scottish farmers ? bloody farmers ! if they didn't want to be mucking about with cows at dawn o'clock they should have become webdesigners instead ! i say, let's just PICK ONE and stay there ! i don't even actually care that much if we stay on summer time or winter time, it's the switching back and forth twice a year that i don't like. (france switched last weekend too).
Oh, dear. I fear that Zelda did not get her daily dose of chocolate yesterday. Bring forth the Royal Trebuchet!!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post

Yup, Patricia; MOST of Europe. Chez Marr missed out and we stuck to Cat Time, which meant I was at my desk at about 4.30am last Sunday. Our cat has a wee computerised implant just under the skin that's stacked with all kinds of info, but the technovets haven't yet come up with a way to automatically adjust the feline body clock to take into account Daylight Saving. N
please let me know if your technovets come up with anything, chez zelda this would be very useful info as well !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Oh, dear. I fear that Zelda did not get her daily dose of chocolate yesterday. Bring forth the Royal Trebuchet!!!
is chocolate good for combatting chronologic displacement disorder (aka "stationary jetlag") ? pfff, what am i saying ? chocolate is good for combatting everything. by all means, bring forth the royal trebuchet !
Old 11-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
is chocolate good for combatting chronologic displacement disorder (aka "stationary jetlag") ? pfff, what am i saying ? chocolate is good for combatting everything. by all means, bring forth the royal trebuchet !
Let's see. (doggie rummages through piles of Halloween booty stolen from countless undeserving SHUMS) Okay, I'm keeping all the Snickers bars but I'm loading the rest into the RT for my Queen. CHOCOLATE AWAAAAY!!!

Now this time, don't let your blood sugar drop so low, Zelda. Have a piece every hour or so. And don't forget that tomorrow is Doughnut Day!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post

Our dog, similarly implanted and with a canine internal clock, roused me at 5:30am this morning for her regular..err...walk around the block. I put on the coffee and out we went, only to return and find out that we had gotten up at 4:30am. Ah well, more time to familiarize myself with some of the 'fictional' and 'not so fictional' characters here at MobileRead.

Ken.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Let's see. (doggie rummages through piles of Halloween booty stolen from countless undeserving SHUMS) Okay, I'm keeping all the Snickers bars but I'm loading the rest into the RT for my Queen. CHOCOLATE AWAAAAY!!!

Now this time, don't let your blood sugar drop so low, Zelda. Have a piece every hour or so. And don't forget that tomorrow is Doughnut Day!
thanks vr ! and extra thanks for the public service of preserving us from countless uncontrollable shums hopped up on too much sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmark View Post
Our dog, similarly implanted and with a canine internal clock, roused me at 5:30am this morning for her regular..err...walk around the block. I put on the coffee and out we went, only to return and find out that we had gotten up at 4:30am. Ah well, more time to familiarize myself with some of the 'fictional' and 'not so fictional' characters here at MobileRead.

Ken.
which ones are not so fictional ?

(neil : please contact kenmark before you contact me, in the evenuality that your technovet finds a solution. he clearly needs the help more than i do, since i at least do not have to *go outside* in the cold, dark, pre-dawn hours just because my cat's internal clock is set to canada time, or something.)
Old 11-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Today's (Sunday's) User Friendly strip puts and interesting spin on having to reset your clocks at home...
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
please let me know if your technovets come up with anything, chez zelda this would be very useful info as well !!!

I solved the problem by staying on daylight saving time permanently. No more shattering my circadian every few months... (Of course, right now I'm on unemployment time, which included a nap whenever I need one... )
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Today's (Sunday's) User Friendly strip puts and interesting spin on having to reset your clocks at home...
poor guy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I solved the problem by staying on daylight saving time permanently. No more shattering my circadian every few months... (Of course, right now I'm on unemployment time, which included a nap whenever I need one... )
i suppose i could technically do that as well (particularly since i'm on freelance time, which tends to varie between canada time and australia time) but it makes it complicated to manage appointments, i find... i have one clock i never bother to fix, it just stays on summer time. currently it gives me a bit of shock every time i see and think "my god ! is that the time ???" but i'll get used to it after a while. and 6 months from now it will be accurate again.