Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #91
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Blossom asked:

For what you said, reading, I don't see much problem with it IF you're cool with the 800x400 screen resolution. Mine was a MID7024, and I preferred reading on the e-Ink screen of my now wrapped Kobo (to be my gym reader). I didn't realize what a different experience e-reading would be on a 1024x resolution screen. Coby has 7, 8, and 10-inch options, and Aldiko comes on it. As for my internal memory failure, it's apparently an issue with the chipset they had in my particularly run of 7024s and, I think, the first run of 7022s and possibly the 8024s, so there is a possibility you might wind up with an early run chip rather than the new ones they switched to.

I used an android tablet forum to get the Android Market app for sideloading. It did YouTube pretty good, too, as far as I could tell. I didn't have Netflix or Hulu capability and never got around to hacking it to do so, so I can rate it on that. It IS heavy, however, but not more so than a hardback, and as a 7inch, it fits nicely in the hand. I also didn't find the resistive touchscreen all that bad, but I hadn't really experienced capacitative touch much, beyond arguing with my fiance's iPhone before he sold it. Now that I've started using the Galaxy at work, I can see why some people who learn on the C can't go back to the R.

Since this is a Fire vs. A1 thread, I don't want to be totally off topic! But Blossom asked. Coby tablets are pretty hackable and you'll find plenty of ROMs out there to flash it and turn them into whatever you want. I didn't flash/root it, and if you're just reading and maybe doing a little web, you don't need to. If you're shy to go with the cheaper brand, Fire will probably be locked down, but someone out there is going to hack it, so you could get the bargain price, wait a few weeks, and then forgo the warranty. You still won't have expandable memory with an SD, but you could probably still use Amazon Cloud storage?? But if you don't want to forgo the warranty, want stuff to be ready to roll out of the box (Netflix, Market, etc.), then maybe coughing up the extra dollars for A1 is worth it. If Lenovo stops being coy, or whatever is going on.
You're insight has been very helpful. I originally was going to buy a Pandigital Nova from best buy. I don't know the reviews seem to be mixed. It's around the same price as the fire. I'm also looking at the other one mention Velocity Micro Cruz T408 Tablet . I don't want to pay more then $200 for one. My mom is sending a Crystalview tablet she won but the reviews say it's a piece of junk. I don't have the heart to tell her that. The A1 would be very nice but it's too much up in the air right now for me to consider.

What's the difference between a resistance and capacitive screen?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

What's the difference between a resistance and capacitive screen?
http://www.knowyourcell.com/features...resistive.html

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ts_can_win.php
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #93
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #94
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
I'm also looking at the other one mention Velocity Micro Cruz T408 Tablet.
I've looked at the Micro Cruz T408 too. It has an 8" capacitive screen with 800 x 600 resolution (vs. 1024 x 600 on Fire and Lenovo A1). The Cruz is $240 at Amazon, more than you wanted to pay. The 16GB Lenovo A1 is almost as much as that (assuming the price will remain the same as they last indicated).

Blossom, since you want to keep the price at $200 maximum, you'll be using the tablet mainly for reading, and you already have Kindle books, it seems like the Kindle Fire might be a good choice for you. It looks like it has a very nice screen. I don't know if lack of external SD card storage would matter to you. The 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content) is enough to hold 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books. Plus, there's the cloud if you have easy wifi access. I'm also wondering if content could be stored on our computer and then sideloaded onto the Fire via USB cable.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #95
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I've looked at the Micro Cruz T408 too. It has an 8" capacitive screen with 800 x 600 resolution (vs. 1024 x 600 on Fire and Lenovo A1). The Cruz is $240 at Amazon, more than you wanted to pay. The 16GB Lenovo A1 is almost as much as that (assuming the price will remain the same as they last indicated).

Blossom, since you want to keep the price at $200 maximum, you'll be using the tablet mainly for reading, and you already have Kindle books, it seems like the Kindle Fire might be a good choice for you. It looks like it has a very nice screen. I don't know if lack of external SD card storage would matter to you. The 8GB internal (approximately 6GB available for user content) is enough to hold 80 apps, plus 10 movies or 800 songs or 6,000 books. Plus, there's the cloud if you have easy wifi access. I'm also wondering if content could be stored on our computer and then sideloaded onto the Fire via USB cable.
Actually Micro Cruz T408 has been marked down $199 so it's the same price. I rather deal with Amazon for support though than another company. I like the Fire but it's the whole side loading allowed that has yet to be answered. If I can't use Mantano on it that would be a big issue for me. I use epub not mobi. Mobi only works for Kindle. Mantano is an epub reader. So is Cool Reader. All my books are in both epub and mobi. I don't care for the Kindle for Android app.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #96
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Actually Micro Cruz T408 has been marked down $199 so it's the same price. I rather deal with Amazon for support though than another company. I like the Fire but it's the whole side loading allowed that has yet to be answered. If I can't use Mantano on it that would be a big issue for me. I use epub not mobi. Mobi only works for Kindle. Mantano is an epub reader. So is Cool Reader. All my books are in both epub and mobi. I don't care for the Kindle for Android app.
Yes, it's a difficult decision since there are still questions about how restricted the Kindle Fire is going to be. It looks like Fire's screen is better than the Cruz, but there are those other requirements that need to be considered too. <sigh>

Last edited by DreamWriter; 10-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #97
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Blossom, if you really just want a nighttime lcd reader, the original Pandigital Novel works very well and can be had for 80 bucks nowdays. I use one every night. Coolreader and Aldiko work great in night mode. The kindle app works fine, but is a little bright even in night mode.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=RR7T10WWH7

But if you want a better res screen and some horsepower under the hood, I think the Kindle Fire is a good buy. The Nook Color has been going for 150 bucks refurbed on and off for a while now and is bound to go that low (or lower) in the upcoming Holiday season.

I'm tempted to buy the fire even though I can't really justify it and the lack of a slot bugs me. Really hoping B&N is going to respond sometime soon with a NC2 to see what it might offer.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #98
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Blossom, if you really just want a nighttime lcd reader, the original Pandigital Novel works very well and can be had for 80 bucks nowdays. I use one every night. Coolreader and Aldiko work great in night mode. The kindle app works fine, but is a little bright even in night mode.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=RR7T10WWH7

But if you want a better res screen and some horsepower under the hood, I think the Kindle Fire is a good buy. The Nook Color has been going for 150 bucks refurbed on and off for a while now and is bound to go that low (or lower) in the upcoming Holiday season.

I'm tempted to buy the fire even though I can't really justify it and the lack of a slot bugs me. Really hoping B&N is going to respond sometime soon with a NC2 to see what it might offer.
I am looking at the Pandigital Nova or Kindle Fire. I can get the Novas locally at Best Buy The Novel I read is heavy! Is that true? Ack it's only has Android 2.0 installed. I need newer then that. Nova has 2.3
Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #99
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Ugh, 4:3 kills it right off the bat, for me. It could cook me pancakes, and I wouldn't buy it with that display format. I actually find it surprising that any modern manufacturer would still use it.
This is a very nice format for reading eBooks. It is used by the vast majority of eBook readers on the market including almost all the E-Ink devices. It is also used by iPad. It is the native format used on all Amazon readers before the fire.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #100
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This is a very nice format for reading eBooks. It is used by the vast majority of eBook readers on the market including almost all the E-Ink devices. It is also used by iPad. It is the native format used on all Amazon readers before the fire.

Dale
Thanks Dale this is very good to know.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #101
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And then there's the Indian $35 tablet!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-15302663
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #102
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:

Dale
I have been playing with tablets of various aspect ratios and screen sizes, one of which is a Herotab 8" 4:3 (800x600). It makes a great ereader and it is much better than the 7 inchers at browsing and emailing. The big problem with the Herotab is the quality although it has worked well so far.

But, I really like the 8 inch 4:3 format. So much so, I'm seriously considering the Archos 80 G9 as my "real" ereader. The engadget review makes interesting reading. Here is the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/12/archos-80-g9-review/

Basic specs:
ARCHOS 80 G9 8" 8GB $270
226x155x11.7mm (8.90 x 6.11 x 0.46 inch) - 465g (17 oz)
USB Full Sized
USB Micro
MicroSD/SDHC
HDMI output6 (Mini HDMI)
WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR
Built-in GPS
Built-in speakers
G-sensor
Vibrator
Built-in kick stand
Built-in Microphone

Another thought for Blossom. The Coby Kyros 7024 is well built and is my carry ereader. I have not installed Mantano but CoolReader, Aldiko, Nook, FBReader and Kindle all work well (side loaded and installed). Anroid Market does not come pre-installed but I installed Amazon Market and Mantano is there.

Regards - John

P.S. I do have one "real" tablet: The Toshiba Thrive.

P.S.Jr. I can't recommend the Micro Cruz. I understand some people love them. I just don't happen to one of those people.

Last edited by Jabby; 10-15-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #103
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The Vizio Tablet is only $248 now at Walmart.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #104
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Dale
I'll allow that it's ok for reading books -- I do love my eink kindle (like most of us), and didn't know that the k3 is 4:3...

But. I'll stick to my guns for ANY sort of video use. 4:3 sucks beans for that -- and I'm willing to bet that even Blossom might occasionally watch something, if she gets a tablet.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #105
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
The Vizio Tablet is only $248 now at Walmart.
Just checked Costco - $235 there.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=