Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #16
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephewe View Post
OK, so I converted a 372 page, full color, 8.11 x 10.63", 265,083KB PDF file using Calibre.

What I got was an LRF file that is 40,214KB in size. For the most part, it looks about the same to the naked eye. However, there's a bunch of text that appears smudged away (completely unreadable) spread throughout the entire document, seemingly at random. I suspect there's some sort of layering going on with this particular PDF file that Acrobat has no trouble reading. It's possible that I could get it to convert properly if I dicked with the PDF before hand (ran it through Acrobat's optimizer, etc.). Unfortunately, I don't have time to test that in-depth right now. I will try when I finish work today though, then post my results.

For now, we know it is at least possible to convert an image-heavy, very large PDF file to LRF format at roughly 1/6th the file size without significant loss in quality (in terms of human readability).
OK, well that about gives me a good heads up. 1/6th the size.
I don't think I'll be using a 372 page full color pdf's

As long as I can hold about 50 books or so it should do the job quite well.
It's always better to have more memory, but I do want a reasonable amount of large files stored at a time. So long as i'm not too restricted with the 300.

Haven't heard any complaints yet.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you looked at the ECO reader, which is sold in Australia? It is a Hanlin V3 clone, and does support memory cards.
no i haven't seen that one actually.
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
ephewe
ephewe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (Silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the fact remains, IMHO, that a device without expansion capabilities is probably far from ideal for usage in storing multi-MB files. I really would suggest getting a device with memory-card capabilities for that purpose. There are many to choose from, both from Sony and other manufacturers.
For my purposes, I completely agree with you. Even if you can get all of your PDFs down to around 40MB, I'd want space for hundreds (as opposed to tens).

That is why I bought a 600 and an 8GB SD card.
ephewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #19
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post

A lot of pdf books are quite large in size 35Megs +
But the internal memory is about 443Megs . . . sounds like you can only hold
around 10 or 20 books on PDF not some 350 as claimed by Sony's advertising.
do you really need to hold so many books at once? really? it's easy to plug the reader into your computer and simply drag-and-drop the files to it in windows explorer. the reader just appears as a USB drive to it.

even if you can only hold 10 books at a time, do you really need more than 10 books in a single day...especially if they are comics?

even if you do, for some reason, here's what you can do (instead of just purchasing a reader with an SD card slot):
1) put all your books onto a USB stick / SD card (carry a usb card reader too).
2) carry the usb cable for your reader.
3) whenever you need to swap books, find any computer with 2 USB ports, plug both devices in, and exchange files in explorer (or whatever macs use).
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
300com
Zealot

That's quite inconvenient, carry a USB card reader. . .
Might as well get the 505 !
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
That's quite inconvenient, carry a USB card reader
actually you can get ones that are the same size as a usb stick. i have one that came with my 16 gb SD card. i usually carry it around in my backpack--hardly inconvenient at all. however, i wouldn't say that the method i suggested is ideal.

Quote:
I was originally going for the 505 but I cannot find it at the magic $199 price range anymore. It's more like $270~ now wherever I turn.
if you're going to spend about $300 anyway, why not just get the 600 (or a non-sony device)? it has the built-in card reader you seem to need so badly, a larger screen, a faster processor (for those 35MB books), and probably longer support from sony since the 505 is discontinued. yes, i read that you want a 'no frills' device, but at this price you might as well just get the frills--and maybe you'll find use for them after all. people say the touchscreen makes the screen bad, but in my opinion it's just fine. i've been using it almost constantly for 2 weeks now, and i find it delightful. it's not exactly like paper...but it's not actually paper.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #22
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
If you're trying to use the PRS-300 mainly for comic books, you might as well get a reader with a bigger screen and/or a larger resolution. I've tried it and it's not pretty, especially in a moving vehicle like a bus.

I mean I enjoy my reader for text just like anyone else, but I thought I'd pick up a few comic books out of curiosity and it did not yield satisfactory results.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #23
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
For text only, my PRS300 can hold over a 1000 books converted to LRF.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #24
300com
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
THANKS
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
ephewe
ephewe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (Silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
Those aren't comic books though. That's pure text, stripped down the most minimal format.

Just sayin...
ephewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #26
300com
Zealot

I'm not using mainly for comic books, but my brother will use it, and I wish to buy two readers.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #27
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
The comics i tried on my 6inch 505 didnt work very well, the images were good, but the text baloons\speech was barely readable.

If you could post an example(anything free to distribute) of your brother's comic books i'd be happy to try it out for you. What I tried didnt have the large text that the link you posted has.

Here is the Eco reader Harry mentioned, its 6inch, and has australian warranty and tech support
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 AM   #28
300com
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
The comics i tried on my 6inch 505 didnt work very well, the images were good, but the text baloons\speech was barely readable.

If you could post an example(anything free to distribute) of your brother's comic books i'd be happy to try it out for you. What I tried didnt have the large text that the link you posted has.

Here is the Eco reader Harry mentioned, its 6inch, and has australian warranty and tech support
well the comics are manga (i guess) . . . "Lone wolf and Cub".
That eco reader is very expensive at AUD$449 when the US$199 conversion of the Sony Pocket Reader is AUD$228 - almost half price.