Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
ees
ees began at the beginning.

Device: none
nytimes, missing images in EPUB

The nytimes recipe works great, but images don't show up when using the EPUB format (on the PRS-505 device itself).

I think the reason is because mobile.nytimes.com names their JPEG images with .cr extensions, and the Reader doesn't approve. As an experiment, if I:

1) save the intermediate HTML (after calling feeds2epub),
2) rename all images to have .jpg extensions,
3) edit the corresponding HTML to refer to the new image filenames,
4) convert the HTML to EPUB

...then the PRS-505 displays images just fine.

I haven't studied Calibre's codebase too deeply yet, so I'll ask: what is the best approach to fixing this? Would it be to edit the nytimes recipe to rename all images appropriately?

Thanks,
-e
ees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a good idea to fix this for all recipe downloads, since it's probably hapening for others as well. I would suggest making this change in the process_images method in the web.fetch.simple module. The best way to do it would be to read in the image using QImage and write it out as jpeg after checking that the image is valid. If invalid, then dont write the image. Go ahead and submit a patch or open a ticket and I'll fix it when I get some time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
xiatian
Connoisseur
xiatian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I went into a similar problem. It seems that the img url https://cdn.espresso.economist.com/f...?itok=flWdaHxK ended with ?itok cannot be processed. If you convert this url https://espresso.economist.com/e72d5...64ab80fff4e29c to epub, you may find this image is missing.
xiatian is offline   Reply With Quote