Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
cyruss
cyruss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all,

I've just converted a series of around 1,100 HTML pages (weighing it at 100MB in total) into a single 40MB ePub file. It's straight text, no images, and a lot of internal links.

It takes about 2 mins to open on my desktop (with Calibre's ebook viewer), but once it's loaded it works fine. However, I'm yet to actually open it on an iPad ereader (e.g. Stanza), because it takes about 10mins then crashes.

A couple of questions:

1 - is the file simply too big?
2 - does the large volume of split files (~12,000) slow things down?
3 - any recommendations on how to convert such a large file?

FYI, these were the conversion settings.

--no-default-epub-cover
--max-toc-links=0
--max-levels=5
--no-chapters-in-toc
--chapter="/"

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2011 at 04:34 AM.
cyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Large files have to be fully parsed the first time they are opened to calculate the number of "pages" in them, that takes a while, especially on a slow device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyruss View Post
However, I'm yet to actually open it on an iPad ereader (e.g. Stanza), because it takes about 10mins then crashes.
I had similar problems with a large book, (6MB), on a Sony PRS-300, (crashing after long delay), and was able to return it to the vendor for a refund. They said that my reader was not powerful enough to handle the book. Since then I have used calibre to convert a different large book and got it to work on my reader by splitting it up into smaller 'sub-books' and using calibre's series data column to link these books in order.

I know that the iPad is a lot more powerful than the PRS-300 but 40MB does seem a VERY large book.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote