Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
SillyBear80
NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!
SillyBear80 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Question 500 vs. 505?????

I have the option to buy a Sony 500 for $130, or wait to see if I can find a cheap 505. I would like to know the differences, or at least the major differences, between the 500 and the 505.
SillyBear80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Unless you get a really good deal I would suggest you forget about the 500 as it is no longer supported by Sony and instead go for the 505 as it supports more formats(eg DRM PDF and EPUB) and has much better contrast(8 gray levels vs 4 on the 500)
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's a useful page on our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBear80 View Post
I have the option to buy a Sony 500 for $130, or wait to see if I can find a cheap 505. I would like to know the differences, or at least the major differences, between the 500 and the 505.
The major differences are:

1. Screen. The 505 has a newer screen with better contrast and a bit faster page turn times.

2. Memory. The 505 has more internal memory to store ebook files.

3. Formats. The 505 supports the ePub format. It also supports Adobe DRMed ePub and PDF ebooks.

4. PDF support on the 505 includes reflow.

That's about it. The 500 is a great device to get started with.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Pilotbot listed all the reasons I got a 505 when it came out. Though my husband still uses the 500 for reading and he doesn't want to upgrade though I'm really trying to convince him it'll be better for his eyes.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Because I wanted the improved screen, I sold my 500 and bought a 505 with a $150 credit for getting a Sonystyle visa credit card.

The current offer (ends on 12/31/08) will allow you to save $100 on a new 505 from sonystyle.com. Net cost is $200 plus shipping and tax.

Act fast before the offer ends....

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921644595898
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

the 500 has more ghosting of the text after the page turn than the 505,
also the 500 doesn't support Collections(folders) on external memory cards.

IMO the 505 is a worthy upgrade.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I'd buy the 500 if you dont want to spend alot more for the 505. The screen is worse, but still looks fantasitc with a direct light source. Save up money while using the 500 and sell it or trade it in in the future. You wont lose much if any money and you might even make some

Last edited by volwrath; 12-23-2008 at 11:39 PM.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I'd buy the 500 if you dont want to spend alot more for the 505. The screen is worse, but still looks fantasitc with a direct light source. Save up money while using the 500 and sell it or trade it in in the future. You wont lose much if any money and you might even make some
The problem with buying a 500 now to later on sell it off to get something new is that the 500 will lose value and not be worth all that much.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Isn't another difference that the 505 uses the USB Mass Storage device protocol, so will mount as a disk drive on Mac and Linux, while the 500 uses some proprietary scheme, and so only works with Sony's Windows software? (Or Calibre, I think).

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The major differences are:

1. Screen. The 505 has a newer screen with better contrast and a bit faster page turn times.

2. Memory. The 505 has more internal memory to store ebook files.

3. Formats. The 505 supports the ePub format. It also supports Adobe DRMed ePub and PDF ebooks.

4. PDF support on the 505 includes reflow.

That's about it. The 500 is a great device to get started with.

BOb
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I had a 500. Then I got a 505. My initial plan was to keep the 500 for commute, however the 505 is so much better that I sold the 500 right away.

The 505 is MUCH better in every way. Its slimmer, better contrast, faster page turn. I liked the button placements a bit better on the 500, but it is no big deal.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #12
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have the 500 and I love it.

I will eventually upgrade to the 505, but I got the 500 cheap and I don't see why I shouldn't wear it out entirely before switching up.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
I have the 500 and I love it.

I will eventually upgrade to the 505, but I got the 500 cheap and I don't see why I shouldn't wear it out entirely before switching up.
I somewhat agree with you. I got the PRS500 for $100 from tiger direct . Sold it about a month ago for $175 on ebay, and picked up a prs505 for $250, so feel pretty good about the entire deal
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
505! Definitely!

No regrets so far!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote