Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #31
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Do books need to be purchased from Amazon or loaded via Send-to-Kindle in order to work with Collections? In other words, if I download a public domain epub from the MobileRead library, convert it to AZW3, then use USB to copy it straight to my Kindle, can I add it to a Collection?

I ask because Collections seem to have some sort of Cloud syncing component, which suggests books need to be Amazon-purchased or Send-to-Kindle to work???

Also, I have Kindle Voyage with latest firmware, so all the hacking and jail-break options are not available to me.

Thanks!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If this tool claims it can work without jailbreaking, I would love to hear more, since that should be impossible. Ever since the K4NT days the collections info has been hidden on the system partition.

Heh, I wonder why they don't support the KV?

OK, well, I suppose it is possible they communicate with Amazon's servers and mnage your Cloud Collections. That would require having Amazon-employee access to their backend I should think, or how would they get their hands on the nonexistent APIs?

And again, it really does not make sense that the KV isn't supported... except that it hasn't been jailbroken, which coincidentally means it matches the status of the calibre plugin "Kindle Collections". Except, you kind of do need to be jailbroken...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #33
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see. It "writes some files" then asks you to update.
I wonder if they do the courtesy of using our shared jailbreak certificate?

Sounds like a frankenstein remix of the MR jailbreak, calibre, and the Kindle Collections plugin with barsanuphe's librariansync extension.
Perhaps they don't use calibre at all, although many ebook applications do. They seem to be duplicating some functionality, though.

Their About page does not impress.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-03-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #34
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Do books need to be purchased from Amazon or loaded via Send-to-Kindle in order to work with Collections? In other words, if I download a public domain epub from the MobileRead library, convert it to AZW3, then use USB to copy it straight to my Kindle, can I add it to a Collection?

I ask because Collections seem to have some sort of Cloud syncing component, which suggests books need to be Amazon-purchased or Send-to-Kindle to work???

Also, I have Kindle Voyage with latest firmware, so all the hacking and jail-break options are not available to me.

Thanks!
Yes you can add books sideloaded via USB to collections. All that will happen is that the book will not appear in the collection if you view it on another device, say one of the kindle apps.

I have whole collections of side loaded books on my Voyage and when viewed on my iPhone app the collections are simply empty. The folder is there but it has no books.

If you have a collection of part Amazon and part sideloaded books then only the Amazon books will show in the collection on another device.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #35
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thank you muchly Josieb1!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:06 AM   #36
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
KDeasy and Voyage:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56.png
Views:	418
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	136745  
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So basically, this program doesn't do anything that Calibre, the Kindle Collection plugin doesn't do and you need to be jailbroken for this to work. So really, this program is a waste of time as most people who re jailbroken use Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #38
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, if you could jailbreak (currently requires installing over the serial port ) then you could use Collections Manager or librariansync, both of which allow you to create collections via calibre and metadata rules.

As things stand, there aren't really any options for new devices though.
If you can jailbreak, you can install KoReader. Since KoReader understands folders, you can easily organize your titles into those folders. You'll have to use Calibre to convert your books into epub format.

Native Kindle software is so hopelessly FUBAR that it is painful to work with.

Last edited by Readirect; 04-05-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Is there a good reason why you are posting everywhere pushing KOReader? While it is a fine tool (depending on your needs), there is no need to go to such lengths to avoid the native UI.
Collections management has been solved in this thread, without needing to go to such extremes.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
That is your, rather extreme, opinion. I strongly suspect that the overwhelming majority of Kindle owners think otherwise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #41
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That is your, rather extreme, opinion. I strongly suspect that the overwhelming majority of Kindle owners think otherwise.
I agree. The implementation on my PW1 did have its issues, mostly it made it really slow and the view of cloud and device wasn't just right.
With the Voyage its pretty much about perfect. Its fast now and I don't mind shuffling books around the collections. I have like 3000 books in collections and it works pretty well for me.
Jail breaking my devices is not an option for me so I'll deal with what the native options are. Thankfully they are really good now.

You'd be surprised with how many kindle owners never even bother with collections.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
You'd be surprised with how many kindle owners never even bother with collections.
Nope. Because I'm one of them . I use a Calibre plugboard as an alternative.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #43
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nope. Because I'm one of them . I use a Calibre plugboard as an alternative.
I meant more folks that don't have a clue what calibre is, or a plugboard. I don't know what a plug board is. I mean those that just start the kindle, grab the books from the cloud they want and read. Never to bother in sorting anything anywhere. I know those people. Heck, I used to be that before kindles had collections. Even then on the basic kindle non touch, or K3, at some point I gave up with collections as it wasn't as easy to fiddle with. Not like it is now with the Voyage.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #44
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
If you can jailbreak, you can install KoReader. Since KoReader understands folders, you can easily organize your titles into those folders. You'll have to use Calibre to convert your books into epub format.
Examples?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #45
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
I use an OPDS server (COPS/Calibre) to categorize my titles. I have a custom Calibre column "genres" and I simply use the browser on my Voyage to access the library. In this way, all 700 books are properly sorted and searchable on the server, yet I only need to keep the handful I am currently reading in the device. 700 books *on* the Voyage is distracting. 10 and access to the rest on the server-- very manageable.
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote