Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
epub. words split without logic

Hello,

I just bought myself a Kobo Glo, so I’m all new to e-reading.

I was looking forward to start reading a book from my favourite author Harlan Coben. But to admit, my first experience was not that good. Some words are split in a very unlogical way.. morelike being cut off randomly. The e-book is in dutch, so maybe harder to read, but to describe it.. words like “aware” would be written like “a” at he the end of the line and “ware” on the next line.

… … ….. a
ware … …

I have no idea what can cause this to happen or what settings I need to modify somewhere to make it work in the right way.

I so hope you can find a way to help me to correct it so I can start reading with a smile.

If you need more info please let me know.

[ATTACHMENT DELETED]

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-14-2013 at 06:57 AM.
sunny1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
I was looking forward to start reading a book from my favourite author Harlan Coben. But to admit, my first experience was not that good. Some words are split in a very unlogical way.. morelike being cut off randomly. The e-book is in dutch, so maybe harder to read, but to describe it.. words like “aware” would be written like “a” at he the end of the line and “ware” on the next line.
I have encountered this same problem, but only in one book so far (The Alejandra Variations, by Paul Cook, a Phoenix Pick freebie), so I think it might be a fault with the book itself rather than the reader. I don't know how to fix it sorry, only hope your other books don't have the problem.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Can you give an actual example of poor splitting from the book, with its location? (I did a Find on "ware " and couldn't find any examples.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cancel that, I've just looked more closely at the markup, and it's completely hosed. A huge number of individual letters - all of them "a"s, from a cursory glance - are surrounded by opened/closed font tags, a la (if this will show up properly):

w<font>a</font>s, m<font>a</font>ar

Talk to the company who sold you the book.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
sunny1z
Enthusiast
sunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura aboutsunny1z has a spectacular aura about

Thank you meera for replying back so fast.
Well, it's a good thing that it has nothing to do with the reader itself... because I like it so for.
I read about a program called "sigil". Can I change something in there like deleting <font> and <\font> or so for each of the chapters?
When I oben the book in there and click on something like source code.. the whole text is flooded with these <font> codes.. which don't appear in other books.

Can you let me know if that is an option?

Thank you again for your help!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1z View Post
I read about a program called "sigil". Can I change something in there like deleting <font> and <\font> or so for each of the chapters?
When I oben the book in there and click on something like source code.. the whole text is flooded with these <font> codes.. which don't appear in other books.

Can you let me know if that is an option?

Thank you again for your help!
You could just get rid of all the <font></font> tags with a Find and Replace, but the book may well be broken in other ways (I'm not a guru at these things, just pointing out this one really obvious error). You can run epub validators over it to check for other errors, if you know enough markup to interpret the results correctly and fix the errors reliably yourself. The epub forum would probably be a better place to ask about that.

If it were me, I'd be asking for a refund or a corrected version from the seller, not going to lengths to fix it all myself. I see that Penguin is credited on the copyright page, and it's a 2012 book - I'm rather amazed that something with such obvious errors made it to sale from a reputable publisher, and so recently. Which book shop was it from? Do they have a good return policy?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Attachment deleted. Copyright books MUST NOT be uploaded to MobileRead!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
sunny1z
Enthusiast

@pdurrant

sorry for the attachement. I was just informing about the problem..not meaning to share files with others.
I'll check with the bookstore for their return policy or check what happened. Bought the english book of it and that one seemed okay
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Might be of interest that there is no hyph_nl.dic in \usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts whereas there is hyph_de.dic, hyph_en.dic and so on.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
sunny1z
Enthusiast

@tshering

thank you. Where can I find that? Whaere is that map stored? Do I access it through the program Sigil?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The files are in usr\local\Kobo\hyphenDicts of the KoboRoot.tar which is inside the KoboRoot.tgz of the kobo update files. These hyphen dictionaries are released by Adobe. I have no idea where you can get one for Dutch or any language. Maybe they are part of InDesign. If you can get one you could try to make your own update file. But I am not sure whether the reader will pick it up at all.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote