Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mobi to ePub conversion - cover aspect ratio being messed up

Yesterday, I uploaded a revised version of my Edgar Rice Burroughs "Barsoom Omnibus" to the library here at MR.

The Mobi version of the book, created with Mobipocket Publisher, has a cover which looks absolutely fine. The cover is 600 pixels wide x 800 pixels high, and is displayed correctly.

I then used Calibre to convert the Mobi version of the book to ePub, and in the ePub version the cover appears vertically compressed.

JSWolf has kindly looked at the ePub for me, and advised me that the ePub cover incorrectly has:

Code:
preserveAspectRatio="none"
whereas it shouldbe:

Code:
preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet"
Is there any way to change this in Calibre? The cover was added to the Mobi book in the usual way (ie via the "Guide" section of the OPF), so there's nothing explicitly in the book which determines its aspect ratio - I simply want it to use the full size of the supplied cover image - 600x800 pixels.

If it would be useful to see the books, the Mobi version is at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12782

and the converted ePub is at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54599

The conversion was done with Calibre 0.8.46 using default conversion settings.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look under epub options in the conversion dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks for the rapid response, Kovid. Checking the "Preserve cover aspect ratio" box appears to have sorted the problem.

Much appreciated!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi - can either of you help me find the "preserve cover aspect ratio" in Calibre? No doubt it's staring me right in the face, but I've now spent 15 minutes going through everything in the conversion menu and don't see it. I'm using 0.8.57.

Thank you!
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Its on the ePub Output options tab. You can also change it as an overall default in Preferences -> Output Options -> ePub Output
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Alda
Zealot
Alda began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you!!
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote