Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I've already bought a few of the Penguin Enhanced eBooks (despite having two pbook sets of Austen's novels, including the Chapman edition). Like Harry, I like it that they have "value added" content. I'm just wondering why fictionwise doesn't carry all of them (hello fictionwise! are you reading this?!).

There's not much with Penguin 2.0 right now (and the Enhanced editions are actually old, old news), but to me it does look promising. Out of the three "services" they are currently highlighting on their web site, two have to do with electronic content. I'm eager to see what they have in store for the near future. Right now, I am enthusiastically behind them.

Last edited by Seabound; 12-09-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #17
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Nice range of formats, but curious there's no Mobipocket version on offer..?
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Nice range of formats, but curious there's no Mobipocket version on offer..?
I was wondering about that, too. Fictionwise does have some of them in mobipocket. Sony has them in their LRX format.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #19
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
It is only added value if you are interested in the type of information commentary provided, as HarryT is. But even then, I question whether it is worth the price because you still can't share it with anyone. That is the primary difference, to my mind, between enhanced value DVDs and enhanced value ebooks: the DVDs can reside in my bookcase in a nice container and I can lend it to my friends; the ebook can't. At best the enhancements aren't worth more than $1 to me -- and not really even that -- as long as they are DRM laden.
rhadin, e-books can be shared quite easily between a group of friends if they have e-readers. In my circle of friends and family there are now 4 (soon to be 5) with e-readers. We can each buy the e-boks we want, read them and then physically swap the device. It becomes no different from swapping print books.

Harry, perhaps penguin should make it very clear on there site just what the enhancements are. I am not sure that I would pay the extra for this, but I can understand that many would.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
rhadin, e-books can be shared quite easily between a group of friends if they have e-readers. In my circle of friends and family there are now 4 (soon to be 5) with e-readers. We can each buy the e-boks we want, read them and then physically swap the device. It becomes no different from swapping print books.
Karen, you list your devices as Iliad and Sony. I don't know about the Iliad, but how do you share DRMed ebooks (without removing the DRM) with friends? For me to do that with my Sony, all of us would have to use the same account (and Sony limits that to 6 devices, I believe). Friends they may be, but access to my credit card account I'm not giving.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Karen, you list your devices as Iliad and Sony. I don't know about the Iliad, but how do you share DRMed ebooks (without removing the DRM) with friends? For me to do that with my Sony, all of us would have to use the same account (and Sony limits that to 6 devices, I believe). Friends they may be, but access to my credit card account I'm not giving.
Karen answered your question in her post - she and her friends physically swap readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:30 AM   #22
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
rhadin, I haven't update my profile in quite a while (have now done so). I no longer have the Iliad and have bought two other devices, the BeBook and Cybook.

Karen

Last edited by sianon; 12-10-2008 at 03:34 AM. Reason: added that have updated profile
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 AM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Karen answered your question in her post - she and her friends physically swap readers.
Thanks, Harry. I missed that. I apologize for the sloppy reading.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My wife and I have some of the same purchased eBooks on our readers. I don't see a problem with that at all. I look at it this way, LRX allows me 5 PIDs, Mobipocket allows me 3 or 4 PIDS and MS Reader allows me 3 or 4 copies t be activated withthe same activation code on different computers. Since these formats allow for reading in multiple locations, I don't see any problem sharing with my wife my eBooks that she also wants to read. The only difference with eBooks is she can read at the same time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since these formats allow for reading in multiple locations, I don't see any problem sharing with my wife my eBooks that she also wants to read.
There's no technical problem, but with some book stores, at least, there is a licensing problem, in that the licensing terms make it clear that the book can only be read by the original purchaser. If you buy a book and your wife reads it - even on your reader - you are in violation of such a licence.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote