Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #1
CaitlinShaw
CaitlinShaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Download metadata from ASIN

If I have the ASIN for a book which I got from Amazon, how can I get Calibre to download the metadata for that edition? If I just click "download metadata" it searches on title and author, and there doesn't seem to be anything in the configuration for it which would let me tell it to search by id.

I am sure there is something obvious which I am missing, but I am indeed missing it, so if someone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful!

(To explain why I want this: I lost my Calibre library -- yes, I know, I should have backed it up, I have learned this lesson -- and recreated it from my Kindle device. This got many of the records back, but the ones I'd purchased directly from Amazon came through with no author and mangled title. Fortunately, they mostly also came through with the ASIN appended to the title, so I can bulk edit the metadata and put the ASIN in the id field. But...then what? How do I use this ASIN to automatically retrieve the author and title and other information from Amazon?)
CaitlinShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to make the asin show up as

amazon:whatever

not

mobi-asin:whatever

assuming you are downloading from amazon.com

Amazon's ASINs are regional website specific, which is why the asin from a mobi file cannot be directly used.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 12:08 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Doesn't it also work if you use asin:whatever"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:56 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont recall, but I do know amazon: works
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote