Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #166
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The only configuration I've seen on an Aura is a long press on the tile to bring up the open/dismiss options. Getting rid of the Sync tile is a whole other can of worms. You do enjoy editing SQLite databases, don't you?

Regards,
David
Actually I see that now. It would be nice though if Somewhere in the information that there would be information to reflect that. But perhaps I skimmed over it too quickly? I am curious as to why they did not implement a similar screen on the Touch, There is plenty of room, although they might have to remove some tiles, or scale them down.

has anyone noticed that the page turns seem to be sluggish?

Thanks for the heads up.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #167
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Actually I see that now. It would be nice though if Somewhere in the information that there would be information to reflect that. But perhaps I skimmed over it too quickly?
Well, on the Aura I'm pretty sure it's part of the "tour" (about 10 slides) you have the first time you power the eReader. In the case of this firmware upgrade, I doubt there is any information
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #168
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Well, on the Aura I'm pretty sure it's part of the "tour" (about 10 slides) you have the first time you power the eReader. In the case of this firmware upgrade, I doubt there is any information
Is that the same as the "Quick Tour" you can take by pressing the help button? This is 9 pages on the Glo, but doesn't have anything about the tiles in it.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #169
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Situation: I didn't like the formatting of a book I was reading so I decided to fix the formatting. Deleted the book I was reading from the Kobo using the Kobo delete book function. Added the book back to the Kobo.

BUG:
when trying to read the book after the fix all I would get is the first page the book opens to, paging forward or back gives me a nice black screen with nice white margins but no text... well I can't see any text due to the screen being all black. When paging forward book will also close after showing you a black screen and the book will then show up as finished.

Did not happen for me in previous firmware.

Workaround: rename the book or place in a different folder. At first I thought something was wrong with my CSS but the CSS came back just fine when validated. Renamed the book and I can read just fine, tried original name and placed in it another folder and it reads just fine.

Repeatable: Yes but so far for only that book under the original filename.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #170
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Well, strictly technically speaking it's not a bug but a deliberate change in design.
They obviously recognized their customers' complaints about the - to some people - annoying and space wasting book title display on each page (thanks for listening KOBO) .... and then 'solved' that problem by removing the title display - without using the freed space to display more content. A somewhat pointless change since most complaints where mainly about the wasted space and not about the content (or lack thereof) with which this is filled ....
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/smack.gif
I imagine the conversation with the programmer went something like :

beta tester: um, is that white space supposed to be at the top of each p
Programmer: we got a lot of complaints, so we removed the title from the top of the page.
bt: well, there is a lot of white space at the top of each page.
P: no sir, let look
P: um, um, it supposed to be that way
bt: are you sure?
P: um, yeah. ... Of course... That's the ticket, yeah.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #171
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nope book title is gone.
GONE!?!

But that was the best feature of 2.5.2! The whole reason I upgraded to 2.5.2 in the first place!

This is totally unacceptable, Kobo should not give us something and then take it away without my permission! They didn't even ask me, just unilaterally made the decision that I didn't need to see the title of the book that I'm reading. Well, Kobo, I DO need to see the title!

I demand that Kobo reinstate this feature immediately! This is going to turn the Kobo world upside down, I can hear the screams of agony all around the world, even from way down here in New Zealand! I can't imagine any Kobo user being pleased about this development!

I suggest we start an email campaign to bombard Kobo with messages telling them just how upset we all are that they've removed this awesome functionality and how we will all boycott their products until they bring back book titles in the page header!

Please tell me how to revert back to the previous firmware that showed the book title, and how to stop being INFECTED by any future firmware that doesn't show the book title!!!

**** All of the above has been said in sarcasm to poke fun at the people who said the end of the world had arrived when the last firmware release displayed book titles in the page headers ***
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #172
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
a 510x680 cover image
A 510x680 cover image is a hold over from MS Reader days. It was used to fill the MS Reader window. In most cases, the 510x680 size is going to be off aspect ratio.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #173
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
- Windows/orphans still exist, would be nice to see this fixed before epubs become obsolete.
This actually isn't an issue. It's the way it is in ADE. All versions of ADE default to a widow/orphan of 2. The only way to override that is to edit the CSS and put in the values you want.

I always put in values of 0. I don't care that it may not be grammatically correct. I just care that I use the most screen space I can and that most page ends end on the same line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #174
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I imagine the conversation with the programmer went something like :

beta tester: um, is that white space supposed to be at the top of each p
Programmer: we got a lot of complaints, so we removed the title from the top of the page.
bt: well, there is a lot of white space at the top of each page.
P: no sir, let look
P: um, um, it supposed to be that way
bt: are you sure?
P: um, yeah. ... Of course... That's the ticket, yeah.

Yeah, that's about how it went Thought it was "Kobo person".

But, they did reduce the amount of space used. With the title, the space matched the top menu bard, but now the top menu bar overlaps the top line when displayed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #175
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
What is this widows and orphans thing that everyone is talking about? Did they fix those huge blank spaces where the next paragraph is started on a new page rather than filling up the rest of the current page? So far I'm not seeing any real reason to upgrade from 2.5.1 (unless they've fixed the PDF refresh).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #176
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A 510x680 cover image is a hold over from MS Reader days. It was used to fill the MS Reader window. In most cases, the 510x680 size is going to be off aspect ratio.
As far as I recall, 510x680 is a 3x4 aspect ratio. All the Kobo ereaders use that ratio except for the Glo which is 758x1024 or 3x4.05 so why would they be off aspect ratio? Inquiring minds are eager to know.

I was looking at existing ebooks with their embedded cover images so I went with the sizes of those images and their aspect ratios noting the effect that aspect ratio had on the size of the tile on the home screen. I suppose I could generate new cover images for all my ebooks -- say 1440x1080 and either screw the aspect ratios or crop the images but why bother when I do not have a large image to work from.

It's really too bad that Sony doesn't get around to producing a new ereader so you'd have something better to do with your time other than kibitzing in the Kobo forums.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-08-2013 at 08:40 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #177
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Is that the same as the "Quick Tour" you can take by pressing the help button? This is 9 pages on the Glo, but doesn't have anything about the tiles in it.
Neither the Glo nor the Aura quick tours mention a long press. It's intuitive, you see, so no need to mention it.

Regards,
David
Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #178
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Neither the Glo nor the Aura quick tours mention a long press. It's intuitive, you see, so no need to mention it.

Regards,
David
So that's the problem. I hadn't tapped my feminine intuition side

Regards.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #179
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
What is this widows and orphans thing that everyone is talking about? Did they fix those huge blank spaces where the next paragraph is started on a new page rather than filling up the rest of the current page? So far I'm not seeing any real reason to upgrade from 2.5.1 (unless they've fixed the PDF refresh).
Widows are lines left at the top of the next page when a paragraph goes past a page boundary, orphans are lines left at the bottom of a page when a paragraph stretches over two pages. Since they are considered undesireable, the widows and orphans setting says how many lines must be left on a page. If you use a setting of 3 for both, you will never see those two line fragments at the top or bottom of a page. In exchange you will see blanks lines at the bottom of a page when lines were moved to the next page. Setting widows and orphans to 0 prevents this but at the cost of possibly leaving a single line at the bottom of a page or a single word at the top of the next page.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	widows-orphans.png
Views:	261
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	106799  
Old 06-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #180
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
It's really too bad that Sony doesn't get around to producing a new ereader so you'd have something better to do with your time other than kibitzing in the Kobo forums.

Regards,
David
Now Now.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote