Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
BunnyGal
Enthusiast
BunnyGal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HDX
Trouble with .prc when moving books from Kindle Fire to Comupter (Calibre)

I transferred a bunch of ebooks to my computer that were on my Kindle Fire (not HD). I dragged and dropped them into calibre but only about 50% worked.
For those that worked, the folder has an .acw file, a .opf file and a .jpg (the cover). I can convert the .acw into .mobi or .epub or whatever I want.

Those that failed have a folder with a .prc file and a .opf file. The .acw file is missing, as is the .jpg.

Those with the .prc file don't work.

What has happened and how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Lisa L.
BunnyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyGal View Post
Those that failed have a folder with a .prc file and a .opf file. The .acw file is missing, as is the .jpg.
I don't use a Kindle, but prc is a valid book format for Kindles from days gone by. If you have a prc file you won't have a azw file and the jpg is the cover. Apparently calibre could extract the cover from the file.

Quote:
Those with the .prc file don't work.
What do you mean they don't work?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

.prc issue resloved - new issue is DRM - Locked error

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I don't use a Kindle, but prc is a valid book format for Kindles from days gone by. If you have a prc file you won't have a azw file and the jpg is the cover. Apparently calibre could extract the cover from the file.

What do you mean they don't work?
I actually solved the original issue. I realized the problem was the way I was importing the files in. I did it correctly and now the .prc files seem to be fine, however, I am now getting the "This book is locked by DRM" message when I try to open and read them in Calibre. Not sure why because I purchased every one of the books and I have the DeDRM v6.0 plugin installed (which has always worked before).

How can I remove the lock from books I legally purchased and owned.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I actually solved the original issue. I realized the problem was the way I was importing the files in. I did it correctly and now the .prc files seem to be fine, however, I am now getting the "This book is locked by DRM" message when I try to open and read them in Calibre. Not sure why because I purchased every one of the books and I have the DeDRM v6.0 plugin installed (which has always worked before).

How can I remove the lock from books I legally purchased and owned.
MR policy prohibits us from answering those kind of questions.
Please don't ask them here.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
MR policy prohibits us from answering those kind of questions.
Please don't ask them here.
I wasn't asking anything illegal, nor anything that shouldn't be able to be answered here.

My question was "How can I remove the lock from books I legally purchased and own.". They key words are LEGALLY PURCHASED AND OWN. I'm not wanting to sell, distribute, copy or do ANYTHING illegal with them. I'm simply trying to access them on my computer through Calibre. If I buy a hard-cover book in the book-store, I can bring it home, photo copy the pages, scan the pages and make an e-book and its LEGAL because the book is the same book and still with me, the person who purchased it. Distribution is illegal, but i'm not looking to distribute - simply use what I purchased through the software of my choice. Seems silly. So again, how do I remove the DRM lock from the books on my kindle so I can use them on Calibre? It's legal. I own them.

Can someone please tell me the correct way to import files from my Kindle fire (not HD) to my computer. I thought I had it figured out - but my method failed.

Thank you.
Lisa
Advert
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
In the US, the DCMA act says it is illegal to remove DRM for any reason. This conflicts with fair use exceptions because the lobbyists that bought DCMA from Congress didn't want any loopholes. Furthermore, if you read the agreement that came with those books you bought you will find that you own nothing. You have rented the possibility to read the books only if the vendor continues to grant you that possibility.

You are welcome to do whatever you want to remove any DRM infestation. However, as theducks said, we cannot discuss it here.

Last edited by chaley; 07-30-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Typo
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
BunnyGal
Enthusiast

Trouble with .prc when moving books from Kindle Fire to Computer (Calibre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
In the US, the DCMA act says it is illegal to remove DRM for any reason. This conflicts with fair use exceptions because the lobbyists that bought DCMA from Congress didn't want any loopholes. Furthermore, if you read the agreement that came with those books you bought you will find that you own nothing. You have rented the possibility to read the books only if the vendor continues to grant you that possibility.

You are welcome to do whatever you want to remove any DRM infestation. However, as theducks said, we cannot discuss it here.
I get it, totally. I guess the whole "Purchase", "check out" and "PAY" part of "Purchasing the books" masks the fact that its a rental.....
Typically, any type of rental is done via "rental agreement" or "lease", but on amazon - you PURCHASE the books.

Anyhow - forget drying to remove DRM. It cant be discussed here so I wont.

All I want to do is to read the books using the software of my choice. That's not misuse if I have "rented" the book, is it? Seems to me that not putting a LOCK on a rental book forcing you to you specific software is illegal? isn't it?

Lisa L.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That's not misuse if I have "rented" the book, is it? Seems to me that not putting a LOCK on a rental book forcing you to you specific software is illegal? isn't it?

Lisa L.
Their property
Their rules

The are trying to maintain Their walled garden.
The got Congre$$'s help to stop something that has been happening since the first printing press (and before). Lending or Transfer of ownership (possession).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote