Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
kLy
kLy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question Do epubs from Kobo have screwy formatting?

I'm a prospective Kobo Glo buyer and did some research online. Seems like there are / were some issues with the way Kobo handles formatting of their books:

http://td.typepad.com/treeweaselweek...ce-people.html

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ook-like-crap/

This was in January and the information seems to be conflicting. Looks like one party suggests that this was just a temporary glitch while another suggests this is a permanent direction.

Is this still an issue?

I would definitely want all the epubs I buy from Kobo to be compatible with other readers. I certainly *don't* want to be locked in to Kobo indefinitely because they intentionally screw up epub formatting for other devices. I might as well get a Kindle in that case.

Thanks
kLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo uses it's own Kobo epub (kepub) for download to your device and desktop app when you sync but you can also download an Adobe epub file you can use on any device.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
kLy

Yes, I realise that, but according to the articles those Adobe epubs have screwy formatting.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
None of the epubs, free or purchased, that I gave gotten from Kobo have had any problems with formatting. I vaguely remember discussion here about Kobo doing this and the stopped a while ago.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kLy View Post
Yes, I realise that, but according to the articles those Adobe epubs have screwy formatting.
Sorry I misunderstood. I've never had a problem with any of the Adobe epubs I've downloaded.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. I've never had a problem with any of the Adobe epubs I've downloaded.
I've never had problems either. I read most of these (epubs downloaded from the Kobo website, not kepubs loaded directly to ereader) after putting them in Calibre and can read them on my tablet or eReader/s with no issues. Formatting looks OK to me...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Out of about 325 books in my Kobo account I've had eight or nine where the formatting was messed up, not too bad really I guess (I always download the ePubs). For those books the messed up formatting consisted primarily of missing italics and some missing punctuation. The problems in those books were unique to Kobo when checked against samples from B&N and Amazon.

My problem wasn't so much the formatting problem which could be fixed as it was the way Kobo support handled fixing the issue. For the first six problem books my support ticket went in Sept 20th 2010 the issue was resolved (with 5 books fixed one refunded) June 10th 2011! Note that I was the one who ended up contacting the publisher and getting them to send new files (which they did within the first week of the issue) it took Kobo a few weeks to update the books on their servers, but apparently no one thought to "refresh" my account so I just kept getting the same bad files until someone figured it out nine months later after I pestered them for a resolution time and again.

The other couple books I've had formatting issues with have simply been refunded as I don't think they want to deal with me pestering them anymore. I don't know if those ones eventually got fixed or not although the publisher said they'd send new files.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It was a temporary error. It just took a lot of noise to get Kobo to look at it. Good luck to anyone who stumbles on any remaining.... sub-optimal files.

(Disclaimer: I haven't purchased a book from Kobo since, so the above statment is actually an assumption on my part, but I think a safe one.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
kLy

Great! Sounds like the issues have cleared up then. I hadn't seen any follow up blog posts saying as such so I thought I'd check. Thanks