Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
SpenceA2
SpenceA2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
E-Book reader for a Mac OS X (10.5), but a PowerPC? (mother-in-law emergency)

My wife and I both use Kindles for our e-book reading and I recently bought a second-hand mac laptop to bring my mother-in-law into the e-book fold.

As you all can guess, I immediately ran into the problem of the Kindle desktop application not being able to run on a PowerPC.

Can anyone recommend an e-book desktop reader for her - preferably one that supports Kindle formatted books? Is there an older version of Kindle out there that supports PowerPC? If not, is Calibre the best option?

Any help is greatly appreciated and will go towards scoring bonus points with my mother-in-law.
SpenceA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Older versions of calibre support ppc. In addition, Sony's reader app supports ppc and will read any epub.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
If she wants to read DRMd Kindle books, you're kinda hosed unless you want to undertake the project of installing Calibre and finding the DRM removal plugins.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 06-26-2011 at 11:37 AM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
There's never been a version of Kindle for Mac which supported PowerPC. Similarly, B&N's NookStudy/Nook for Mac has always been Intel-only (though the older B&N eReader did support PPC but is now no longer available from them; but you can still open B&N PDBs using the even older app from eReader.com).

As mentioned, the Sony Reader Library app will do ADE DRM-ed ePubs and she can use that to read e-books from the library, Sony, and Kobo as well as the DRM-free stuff.

The alternative for Kindle use on a PPC Mac is to have a hardware Kindle and strip using the tools we don't talk about on MR, at which point she can read the liberated Mobi books on the laptop with an older version of Calibre.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!

Last edited by ATDrake; 07-02-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Add eReader info & welcome.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote