Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
mayidunk
mayidunk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1
How do I import books from Kindle 1 device?

Hi All,

I'm a noob to Calibre. I have read the docs, watched the videos, but still cannot see how to just download the books on my Kindle 1 device into the Calibre library. When my device is attached, Calibre will allow me to look at the books it contains. However, when I select a book or books, and click on the Add Books button, it takes me to a dialog where it wants me to select a source directory on my laptop. When I click on the Save to Disk button, it takes me to a dialog where I am to select a destination directory on my laptop. Neither of these buttons, or their related dialogs, have anything to do with importing content from my Kindle into the Calibre library.

I guess my expectation is that the software would easily allow me to select books on my Kindle device, and provide me with a button in the GUI that would allow me to then transfer the selected book(s) from my Kindle to Calibre's library. Perhaps I have misconstrued Calibre's functionality in this regard? Maybe it is assumed that all I am really interested in is being able to transfer books to the Kindle? I would think that, this being a content management application, that one of its basic functions would be to effortlessly allow a user to transfer their libraries to and from their devices without having to search all over creation for how to do it.

I'm a simple guy, looking for simple functionality.

Thanks,
Bob
mayidunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Right click a book on the device and select "Add to library". And yes, mainly Calibre's purpose is to put books on your device, not the other way around.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
drag and drop the books from the on device book list to the calibre icon in the toolbar or right click on a book and select add to library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
mayidunk

Thanks for the quick responses. guys! Perhaps it might be helpful if the documentation and FAQ were updated to include this information...

Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayidunk View Post
Thanks for the quick responses. guys! Perhaps it might be helpful if the documentation and FAQ were updated to include this information...
The information is in the manual here and the last time the manual was updated was 10 December.

Quote:
The Device action allows you to view the books in the main memory or storage cards of your device, or to eject the device (detach it from calibre). This icon shows up automatically on the main calibre toolbar when you connect a supported device. You can click on it to see the books on your device. You can also drag and drop books from your calibre library onto the icon to transfer them to your device. Conversely, you can drag and drop books from your device onto the calibre icon on the toolbar to transfer books from your device to the calibre library.
A FAQ entry would be nice. Write up the entry and submit it to Kovid.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-14-2010 at 06:46 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have the PID of your Kindle 1, there is a 3rd party plugin for Calibre that will strip the DRM (encryption) from your ebooks during the import process. The plugin is in the tools_2.3 bundle, and the same plugin handles K4PC and MOBI and K1 ebooks. Apprentice Alf's Blog is the best place to study up on DRM issues.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you have the PID of your Kindle 1, there is a 3rd party plugin for Calibre that will strip the DRM (encryption) from your ebooks during the import process. The plugin is in the tools_2.3 bundle, and the same plugin handles K4PC and MOBI and K1 ebooks. Apprentice Alf's Blog is the best place to study up on DRM issues.
I bought a book from Amazon last week just to try the K4PC aspect of this plugin. It worked great.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
mayidunk

Thanks for pointing out the manual entry. I was kind of hoping there was an easy way to just download the books from my Kindle without having to drag and drop. However, I have since gotten them loaded into the Calibre library without too much hassle, and I've got the workflow for that figured out, so I'm all set.

Perhaps one of you could update the FAQ, as I'm really not too good at those kinds of things.

Thanks again!