Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you buy an e-book with DRM?
Yes 52 19.48%
No 58 21.72%
Yes, if I think I can remove the DRM after purchase 144 53.93%
It doesn't matter 13 4.87%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Would you buy an e-book with DRM?

We have an anti-DRM policy at Fifobooks (i.e., we won't sell an e-book with DRM), and while that has affected the decision of some authors to publish through us (some have reacted positively to that policy, others negatively), I'd like to find out what readers think of DRM.

Last edited by dpapathanasiou; 06-15-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I buy 99% of my books from Amazon
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I buy 99% of my books from Amazon
Me too!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpapathanasiou View Post
I'd like to find out what readers think of DRM.
I hate it. I selected "Yes, if I think I can remove the DRM after purchase" in your poll, although my actual position is "Yes, if I'm sure I can remove the DRM after purchase"

DRM doesn't stop piracy, but it does (if not removed) often lock customers into certain devices or certain software. It doesn't give any guarantee of being able to still read the content long-term. Indeed, on past experience, it seems quite likely to cause the loss of the ability to read the content on new devices within five to ten years.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

@ rcuadro and petermillard: is that b/c Amazon has the biggest catalog and/or anything you purchase there is read on one device? (i.e., "DRM doesn't matter" in the polling context).

Or, do you believe that authors' works should be protected from privacy, and you are ok with the limits DRM imposes?

Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
dpapathanasiou
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
DRM doesn't stop piracy, but it does (if not removed) often lock customers into certain devices or certain software. It doesn't give any guarantee of being able to still read the content long-term. Indeed, on past experience, it seems quite likely to cause the loss of the ability to read the content on new devices within five to ten years.
Exactly right.

That's one of the main reasons for our anti-DRM policy.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If Neal Stephenson, Haruki Murakami, JRR Tolkien, Chimamanda Adichie, Jhumpa Lahiri, and several of my other favorite authors would publish in DRM-free formats, I'd definitely buy them in DRM-free formats. As it is, I am willing to buy them in DRMed formats, because I enjoy their work that much. Being able to remove their DRM to read on the device/app of my choice is just the cherry on top
Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I don't buy DRM'd ebooks. At the moment, I don't download free DRM'd ebooks; I have no software for reading them. (I'm sure I'll change that eventually; I haven't reinstalled the cluster of ebook programs I had on the old computer.)
Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
I hate it. I selected "Yes, if I think I can remove the DRM after purchase" in your poll, although my actual position is "Yes, if I'm sure I can remove the DRM after purchase"
Exactly! Unfortunately, there are books out there I want to read which don't come with a DRM-free option. So I buy them, but ONLY if I'm sure I can remove it.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Old 06-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I selected yes because it is the closest correct response. I do buy ebooks with DRM, largely from the Sony store. That's because I can read the ebook on a lot of different dedicated reading devices.

What I won't do is buy a DRMed ebook that I can only read on a single device or on devices other than my e-ink dedicated reader, not even if I can strip the DRM. Consequently, I would never consider buying an ebook from Amazon.

Of course, there is another caveat: price. I am willing to buy ebooks at Sony with DRM because I can buy them at a 40% discount, at least until I use up my gift card credit (I bought $250 worth of gift cards for $150 when Target had them on sale). Once that runs out, I won't be buying there because of pricing.

If a book comes with DRM I am unwilling to pay more than $2-$3 for it; if it is both laden with DRM and from an unknown author, I am unwilling to pay more than 99 cents.

So yes is the correct answer but with lots of caveats.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I agree with pdurrant - only if I am sure I can remove DRM. I think piracy is wrong, and I do not share those books with ANYONE, including my family. But I intend to choose my next reader based on the merits of the reader, not the store it is tied to.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
I will not purchase any ebook wrapped in DRM, out of principle. I have downloaded a few 'freebies' with DRM, but stripping said DRM is the first thing I do. I strongly believe that 'knuckling under' and buying DRM'd books, then promptly stripping the DRM, is the worst kind of precedent us ebook enthusiasts can set. The bottom-line is if the publishers are still raking in strong profits with DRM in place, even if people complain about it, nothing is going to change. Vote with your wallets guys! as consumers, that's about the only voice we have.

I find the majority of my ebooks on 'darknets' due to the above. If I enjoy the book, I'll pick up a firsthand paperback edition to support the author.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
@ rcuadro and petermillard: is that b/c Amazon has the biggest catalog and/or anything you purchase there is read on one device? (i.e., "DRM doesn't matter" in the polling context).

Or, do you believe that authors' works should be protected from privacy, and you are ok with the limits DRM imposes?
For me it is for two main reasons:

1) I have 4 Kindles, 2 iPhones, 1 BlackBerry, 1 Ipod Touch, and 5 PC's all associated to my Amazon Account so one purchase can be used by most of my family

2) Most of my family is computer dumb and the Kindle makes it so easy to get a book onto the device (Kindle or other). I can send it to the device that wants it and BAM!

The one minor reason is the availability of MobiDeDRM

Last edited by rcuadro; 06-15-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

Well, yes! I *do* believe any author's work should be protected *FROM* privacy! Which is why I strip out DRM as fast as I can buy the books!

Derek
Closed Thread