Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
All else being equal, I positively do NOT want to root my device. What I DO appreciate is your sourcing and recommending any apps which improve the user experience WITHIN the Kobo-sanctioned environment.

You have another thread that addresses just exactly this; it ought to be a sticky as well.

And should you folks find a non-invasive way to install Android Market (so, for example, I could add Scotiabank app), that would be terrific.

Karma you to!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
All else being equal, I positively do NOT want to root my device. What I DO appreciate is your sourcing and recommending any apps which improve the user experience WITHIN the Kobo-sanctioned environment.

You have another thread that addresses just exactly this; it ought to be a sticky as well.

And should you folks find a non-invasive way to install Android Market (so, for example, I could add Scotiabank app), that would be terrific.

Karma you to!
Not sure it will be possible to install market without rooting. We'll see. Either way, if something goes wrong your warranty will be voided.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Annibronte
Enthusiast
Annibronte has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3,Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post

Karma you to!
I haven't tried it myself yet, but this person posting at Digital Forums has some ideas for those who have other Android devices (like me, wooo!)
Annibronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #19
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibronte View Post
I haven't tried it myself yet, but this person posting at Digital Forums has some ideas for those who have other Android devices (like me, wooo!)
This will not let you install Android Market or the proprietary google apps, but I was excited when I saw that the latest version of Astro (thanks Jeff) had the backup apk function. There may be an app I can get by using that from my Nexus S backup. So far, I have what I need on the Vox.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
so how do I remove apps I don't want on my vox? after rooting my vox "apps" list in superuser is empty.
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #21
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
i've read that you can improve performance - ie. speed, battery etc. how do u go about in doin this?
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #22
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
This will not let you install Android Market or the proprietary google apps, but I was excited when I saw that the latest version of Astro (thanks Jeff) had the backup apk function. There may be an app I can get by using that from my Nexus S backup. So far, I have what I need on the Vox.
I would recommend Titanium backup for that, since you can even set scheduled backups of all your installed apps and data (aside from built-in stuff, unless you're rooted).
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #23
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My thanks to Jeff, too. I also have a Nexus S, and it worked perfectly. I installed Astro on my phone, backed up the app I wanted to transfer, copied it to my computer and from there to the Vox, and installed it. I still can't access Android Market directly from my Vox, but this will do for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
valie
valie began at the beginning.

I have movies downloaded onto my SD card. Do you know how I can watch them?
valie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
media player

Quote:
Originally Posted by valie View Post
I have movies downloaded onto my SD card. Do you know how I can watch them?
Look at one of Jeff's other threads: jefftheworld's Best App Package!

He includes a zip file that includes VLC Media Player.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #26
jefftheworld
Groupie

3. Removing unwanted apps manually (Expersise: Intermediate, Importance: moderate)

Prerequisite Tools, Apps or Tutorials
First, you'll need to follow the instructions in the first tutorial and root your device.

Second, you'll need to download and install terminal program. I prefer ConnectBot, but there are plenty of terminal programs out there.

Thirdly, you'll need BusyBox installed. Grab it from my app pack or online.

(NOTE: Make sure you install the busybox apk and then RUN IT to complete the install!)

Steps

1. First, using your terminal of choice, connect to the local shell. Some terminals will default to local, or be local-only. ConnectBot requires you choose the local option and enter a nickname (it can simply be blank for local).

2. In the console type:

Code:
mount | grep /system
The mount command wants to output all the mount data on your device, but the pipe (this thing --> |) sends the output to a grep command which filters it and prints only the lines that contain "/system", which is the line we need.

3. You'll see that the ro (read-only) flag is active, meaning we can't currently delete anything in this area of storage.

4. Time to get to work. Type "su" to request (and gain) root access. If successful you'll see your shell prompt change to a # symbol.

5. To remount the /system partition as read-write just type:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /system
You may notice your text scrolling off the edge of your screen, that's fine.

6. Anyway, I'm not going to get into what all that means, but it will remount /system as read-write.

You can confirm that by running that same command we wrote earlier:

Code:
mount | grep /system
And you'll see the ro flag has become an rw flag.

Now, change directory to the folder with the built-in apps.

Code:
cd /system/app

7. Typing "ls" will list all the apps in this folder. It will probably scroll off the top of your screen but in ConnectBot you can scroll up and down with the touchscreen.

8. To permanently remove an app simply use the command:

Code:
rm appname.apk

9. To temporarily remove an app, use the command:

Code:
mv appname.apk appname.apk.bak

Additional Notes:

The following is a list of all apps found on a stock Vox as of the last firmware update:

Spoiler:
AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
Browser.apk
Calculator.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
CertInstaller.apk
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
CubeLiveWallpapers.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DeskClock.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DownloadProviderUi.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Email.apk
FacebookStub.apk
FirmwareUpdate.apk
Gallery3D.apk
GetJarStub.apk
GmailStub.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
HelpStub.apk
INQFacebook.apk
INQWidgets.apk
Kobo.apk
KoboOsProvider.apk
KoboTimeTracker.apk
KobobooksLauncher.apk
LatinIME.apk
Launcher2.apk
LiveWallpapers.apk
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MerriamWebster-1.1.1.apk
Music.apk
OTAServer.apk
PRAndroid.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
People.apk
PicoTts.apk
Protips.apk
Provision.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
ScrabbleFree.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SetupWizard.apk
SystemUI.apk
TelephonyProvider.apk
Term.apk
TtsService.apk
TwitterStub.apk
UpdateCheckService.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
VpnServices.apk
YoutubeStub.apk
ZinioReader.1.06.4097.Regular.apk
ZinioSettingsProvider.1.06.4257.Kobo.apk
globe2go_10.15.11.apk
rdio-release-0.9.16.apk

Anything ending in Stub.apk is just a link to a website and can safely be removed (you can remove them in bulk by using *Stub.apk with the rm command).

Here are the apps I've removed and therefor confirmed as safe to remove:

Spoiler:
FacebookStub.apk
GetJarStub.apk
GmailStub.apk
HelpStub.apk
INQFacebook.apk
INQWidgets.apk
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
MerriamWebster-1.1.1.apk
PRAndroid.apk
People.apk
ScrabbleFree.apk
Term.apk
TwitterStub.apk
YoutubeStub.apk
ZinioReader.1.06.4097.Regular.apk
ZinioSettingsProvider.1.06.4257.Kobo.apk
globe2go_10.15.11.apk
rdio-release-0.9.16.apk

Last edited by jefftheworld; 12-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #27
yoshid

you da'man jeff!'
Old 11-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
yoshid

a minor hiccup on my way to freeing myself from globe2go etc..

when I tried to $ mont | grep/system
I'm getting "permission denied" message even though my vox is rooted. any idea why?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
jefftheworld
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshid View Post
a minor hiccup on my way to freeing myself from globe2go etc..

when I tried to $ mont | grep/system
I'm getting "permission denied" message even though my vox is rooted. any idea why?
Make sure you spell it mount and ensure there's a space between grep and /system. What you type should look like this:

Code:
mount | grep /system
You should be able to run the mount command without gaining root, but you could try typing su to gain root first. If you'll still having issues, PM me and I'll try to walk you through the problem.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #30
Szara
Book Junkie
Szara began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshid View Post
you da'man jeff!'
I second this assertion!
Szara is offline   Reply With Quote