Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Bookmark glitches

I don't know if this is a bug or not. It could be that I am just expecting too much of my PB360. Since I just got it I have been playing around with it, of course, and I've noticed that if you change scale (text size) or readers (mine has a choice of either Adobe or FBreader it tends to "crash" unexpectedly, that is, return to the start page ("Bookland"), and it's tedious to have to enter the book again and page through it to find the place where you stopped reading.

Everything seems to work fine if you don't change readers or scale, and it seems understandable that it will get confused otherwise, because how would it keep track of bookmarks and "last page opened" if you switch back and forth? Adobe has about half the total number of pages as FBreader--why I don't know and so far I see no particular advantage of FBreader.

Anyway, there seem to be some things that you shouldn't do if you want to keep your place in the books you are reading, and it would be nice if PB made these rules clear.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
I don't know if this is a bug or not. It could be that I am just expecting too much of my PB360. Since I just got it I have been playing around with it, of course, and I've noticed that if you change scale (text size) or readers (mine has a choice of either Adobe or FBreader it tends to "crash" unexpectedly, that is, return to the start page ("Bookland"), and it's tedious to have to enter the book again and page through it to find the place where you stopped reading.

Everything seems to work fine if you don't change readers or scale, and it seems understandable that it will get confused otherwise, because how would it keep track of bookmarks and "last page opened" if you switch back and forth? Adobe has about half the total number of pages as FBreader--why I don't know and so far I see no particular advantage of FBreader.

Anyway, there seem to be some things that you shouldn't do if you want to keep your place in the books you are reading, and it would be nice if PB made these rules clear.
That's why we didn't upload 15.1 for public usage and 15.2 is in beta. Normaly PB handles this kind of treatment without blinking.

The difference between FBReader and Adobe Viewer lies in the fact that FBReader understnds a lot of formats and is very customisable, but does not support DRM. Adobe Viewer does support DRM but is not very flexible.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
No, that is not acceptable behavior.
Which firmware are you running? 15.1? 15.2beta?
What types of files? (ePub?)
Changing font size (FBreader) or zoom factor (Adobeviewer) should *never* lead to a crash.
I for one have never experienced such a thing on Pocketbook.
I have seen it on my older Hanlin V3 which is why I no longer ead on the Hanlin V3.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Which firmware? I don't know. Where do you look for this? I run epub files converted by Kalibre. Whichever firmware it is, it came with the machine, which I have just had for about a week. I haven't changed anything.

Last edited by mdmorrissey; 06-01-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which firmware? I don't know. Where do you look for this? I run epub files converted by Kalibre. Whichever firmware it is, it came with the machine, which I have just had for about a week. I haven't changed anything.
If you go to settings, the first line is "about device". It'll tell you which software version.

So, you're running a pristine, out-of-box Reader? No tweaks to extensions.cfg, no adding the improved FBreader, no nothing?
Every epub you try to read goes directly to adobe viewer?

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
mdmorrissey
Addict

Settings gives me the serial no., hardware type (EB-500), software version D101.14.2. I guess that's it. Yes, out of box. No, it seems to open with the viewer I was using last, or if I hold down the center button, I can "Open With" either reader. But I just opened a book with FBreader that I had been reading with Adobe, and the bookmarks I had in Adobe were gone -- and of course there were none in FB either. This is what I mean. Now I have to page through to find where I left off reading, unless I can remember the page number in Adobe where I was. That I will have to do in Adobe because the page numbering is completely different (about 2x as many pages) in FBreader.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Settings gives me the serial no., hardware type (EB-500), software version D101.14.2. I guess that's it. Yes, out of box. No, it seems to open with the viewer I was using last, or if I hold down the center button, I can "Open With" either reader. But I just opened a book with FBreader that I had been reading with Adobe, and the bookmarks I had in Adobe were gone -- and of course there were none in FB either. This is what I mean. Now I have to page through to find where I left off reading, unless I can remember the page number in Adobe where I was. That I will have to do in Adobe because the page numbering is completely different (about 2x as many pages) in FBreader.
Oh right. No, cross app bookmarking doesn't work yet.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
Quote:
I think when u change the reader, adobe to fbreader the stored position is erased. I think that is normal.
What the others concerns is the Info about the crashes when u select different scale. On 14.2 I never had any crashes. No matter what I did.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

You are running version 14.2, the most stable release so far. That is good.

FBReader and Adobe viewer keep separate bookmarks and last-page-read settings.

Generally you want to use one or the other, whichever you feel more comfortable with.
If you like the philosophy behind FBReader (user settings rule!) you may want to try out the latest version of the SFF/GrayNM FBreader180:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865

If you prefer Adobe's reader but want some degree of typographic controls, you may want to look at the hacked version here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84033

The standard behavior is that if you are navigating your book folder structure, the book will open up in the default reader you define in extensions.cfg (see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149)
(factory default is adobeviewer, btw). If you have already opened the book, it will open up with the app you first opened it.

Holding the center button gives you the context-sensitive menu, as you've noticed, and you can open it up with any reader. (Currently 4 possible options, with a fifth rumored on the way.)

When you choose a book from the LAST-READ list, it will open with the app you last read it with. Long-press does not work.

Adobe page numbers are calculated very different from FBReader and bear no resemblance to the number of screens it takes to render the full book on the PB360 which is what FBReader uses as page numbers, which is why the page numbers change when you resize in FBReader but not in adobe.

Some folks like one way others like it another; just figure out which you like and go from there.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
mdmorrissey
Addict

OK, good to know: Don't change readers or you'll lose your place.

Another frustration: the thing glitches (returns to start) quite often when I am simply turning pages. This is more serious.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #11
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I think you should try a hardreset, beacause its not normal that u get freezes during page turning with Firmware 14.2

Hardware Reset
1. Connect power source via USB
2. Switch PB off
3. During Pwr on hold lower large key and simultaniously OK button
4. Wait until Text shows. Release buttons
5. wait 10 minutes

But beware, all your books, dicts, bookmarks are gone. Do backup before.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
mdmorrissey
Addict

Thanks. I'll wait till tomorrow and maybe I'll have the guts to try it.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
mdmorrissey
Addict

Changed my mind. I'll try it now. What's the difference between "Clean slate," by the way, and "Reformat memory"? I'm doing both. First "Clean slate" and then "Reformat internal memory," which it says can take 10-20 minutes, so I guess that is equivalent to the procedure you recommended, Schnitzel. Maybe I put too many dictionaries in there. When I start up again I'll just put in the books I want to read and the Ger-Eng and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by mdmorrissey; 06-01-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Quote:
Changed my mind. I'll try it now. What's the difference between "Clean slate," by the way, and "Reformat memory"? I'm doing both. First "Clean slate" and then "Reformat internal memory," which it says can take 10-20 minutes, so I guess that is equivalent to the procedure you recommended, Schnitzel. Maybe I put too many dictionaries in there. When I start up again I'll just put in the books I want to read and the Ger-Eng and see if that makes a difference.
Well in the FAQ it says reset to factory with hardreset. The other u mentioned I dunno what they exactly do.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
mdmorrissey
Addict

I think it is the same. Anyway, it seems to have worked -- at least I've got it running again. I report if I still have problems with bookmarks and freezing, and I'll stay in FBreader since that seems to be the preferred one. I want to see if I can actually read a whole book with it now without having problems.