Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #31
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdb View Post
Another question about the Calibre Viewer.
I notice that it will not open the _CyBook Gen3 User Guide_, instead returning an error message that the Book is protected by DRM.
Ah, I think I just answered my own question.
Rereading the Wiki Entry, I saw a sentence I had overlooked before

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI#MOBI_DRM
"A third method used on some ebooks is to use a generic MOBI key. It has encryption but only using the generic MOBI key (not a PID-specific key). This means that can be read by any MobiPocket Reader software, on any device, but not by any non-MobiPocket software. "
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdb View Post
Ah, I think I just answered my own question.
Yes, it has "content encryption". This can be circumvented using a slightly modified version of mobidedrm, see Mobipocket Decoder Tool.

If you try to read the original file using Calibre's ebook reader you get a "This book is protected by DRM" message. If you try to open it with FBReader, it opens but shows the encrypted text (if it had been using high compression there would have been an error message). If you use my kindledrm.py script (see Kindle Books From Amazon Without DRM) the DRM is detected. If you open it with Windows MobiPocket Reader, right click in the library view and select Properties -> Summary it will be listed as Content Encrypted.

I don't know why Bookeen does not want its User's Guide read by FBReader or Calibre. Perhaps it does not want the guide printed out.

Last edited by wallcraft; 04-11-2009 at 07:38 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #33
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes, it has "content encryption".
... If you open it with Windows MobiPocket Reader, right click in the library view and select Properties -> Summary it will be listed as Content Encrypted.
Thanks for the helpful reply and the extra information.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #34
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Note that the old viewer is still used for LRF files. Also note that the viewer doesn't jump through hoops to emulate "pages". It does however have a progress indicator that tells you both approximately how large the book is and how much of it you have finished reading.
Will the new viewer ever support LRF?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Will the new viewer ever support LRF?
If I ever implement LRF to HTML conversion, it will, otherwise it wont.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #36
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If I ever implement LRF to HTML conversion, it will, otherwise it wont.
thanks for answering so quickly.

so at the moment we have to use the Sony Connect viewer if we want to view a Table of Contents in an LRF file?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
thanks for answering so quickly.

so at the moment we have to use the Sony Connect viewer if we want to view a Table of Contents in an LRF file?
Yes. .
Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #38
kevingugan
kevingugan began at the beginning.

Device: none
How do I set the user stylesheet?
kevingugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #39
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In the preferences, just copy paste it
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #40
NickElliott
NickElliott began at the beginning.

Hello, just discovered calibre thanks to an article in Linux Magazine and have installed v0.5.11 from the Ubuntu repository provided by fabricesp (I'm running Kubuntu).

I added a book in LIT format to the library but when I click on view nothing happens. So I converted it to EPUB and clicked on view. Nothing. It was only when converted to LRF format that calibre would display the book.

For info FBReader is able to display the version converted to EPUB format.

Do you think my installation is missing something or is there an easy fix?

Thanks

Nick
NickElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #41
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickElliott View Post
Hello, just discovered calibre thanks to an article in Linux Magazine and have installed v0.5.11 from the Ubuntu repository provided by fabricesp (I'm running Kubuntu).

I added a book in LIT format to the library but when I click on view nothing happens. So I converted it to EPUB and clicked on view. Nothing. It was only when converted to LRF format that calibre would display the book.

For info FBReader is able to display the version converted to EPUB format.

Do you think my installation is missing something or is there an easy fix?

Thanks

Nick
0.5.11 comes with two viewer applications. lrfviewer (lrf only) and ebook-viewer (all other supported formats). Check to see that ebook-viewer was installed, it might be a separate package.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #42
NickElliott

There's no sign of ebook-viewer or lrfviewer as installed packages on my system but scripts for both exist in /usr/bin so I assume that they were installed at the same time as calibre.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There's probably a library conflict that is preventing ebook-viewer from running on your system. Try running it from the command linre to get debug output as

ebook-viewer
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #44
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Are you using Jaunty by chance? Now that I think about it there is a conflict on Jaunty. PyQt 4.4 and Qt 4.5 cause the viewer to segfault.

Comment out the line:

Code:
self.view.setUrl(QtCore.QUrl("about:blank"))
in the main_ui.py file for the viewer. I'm not 100% sure where it gets installed to.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #45
NickElliott

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Are you using Jaunty by chance? Now that I think about it there is a conflict on Jaunty. PyQt 4.4 and Qt 4.5 cause the viewer to segfault.

Comment out the line:

Code:
self.view.setUrl(QtCore.QUrl("about:blank"))
in the main_ui.py file for the viewer. I'm not 100% sure where it gets installed to.
Yup, I'm using Jaunty, found the file you mentioned but not the exact line, though something similar:

Code:
self.view.setProperty("url", QtCore.QVariant(QtCore.QUrl("about:blank")))
I commented this out and the viewer now opens the files.

Thanks for your help.

Tags
calibre, ebook, open source, viewer