Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
do tags edited in calibre get into their epubs?

What happens when you edit some tags (metadata) into Calibre for a book? Does Calibre edit the epub and change its metadata or what? I just tried to do that and I ended up with an epub without tags (while they are visible in Calibre).

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:10 AM.
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Changes in metadata is usually only stored in the database metadata.db.

It is only written to the actual ePub when you send to device, save to disk or do a conversion. ePub to ePub for instance.

You can also get the plugin "Modfy epub" to update the metadata inside the ePubs.

The reason for this behaviour is that it would make Calibre very slow if every small change of metadata had to be written to the ebook. It would involve making a copy of the book, unzip it, change the metadata, zip it, and replace the original ebook and finally delete the copy. It is much faster to only update data in the database.

Besides, you should really not look inside the Calibre library. If you feel a need for it, then you are most likely using Calibre the wrong way.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

I know I should not touch the library and I understand it.

As a matter of fact, though, epub metadata are not written or changed into the epub file even when saving do disk (exporting).

Maybe I should install that plugin of yours?

Thank you.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
tsolignani
Zealot

My mistake, when exporting (save to disk) metadata get changed into the final epub. Please forgive me. So now I guess the plugin is to modify metadata also into library, right? I am going to try it anyway. Thanks again.

–
cordialmente,

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
tsolignani
Zealot

Tried the plugin, it works like a charm. Thanks again.