Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
KoboExtStorage on Hard drive

I have noticed that I have a directory called KoboExtStorage on my hard drive. I have never noticed this before, and I have also noticed that my Glo when synched via kobo desktop keeps synching, until I close the desktop and use the windows eject function for my device. This happened with the last desktop version 3.22 and the new 3.23.

I have a class 10 16gb microsd card in my Glo. I have also tried resetting my Glo to factory default, but the synching problem is still persisting.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
I have noticed that I have a directory called KoboExtStorage on my hard drive. I have never noticed this before, and I have also noticed that my Glo when synched via kobo desktop keeps synching, until I close the desktop and use the windows eject function for my device. This happened with the last desktop version 3.22 and the new 3.23.

I have a class 10 16gb microsd card in my Glo. I have also tried resetting my Glo to factory default, but the synching problem is still persisting.

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Currently I notice it takes a fare amount of time for Kobo to sync to the desktop. While this is IMO is an extremely long time it currently seems to be normal. I would suggest(with out first knowing how long you waited) to let it go till it stops. If after say 20 mins or so it does not stop there may be corruption of the desktop software that would require you to delete it then reboot and reinstall it. I have a class 10 32 gig sd card as well with over 3000 books on it.

Goodluck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Jackastor,

Sorry I was'nt as clear as I could have been with the synching problem.

I open the desktop and attach the glo, and it synch's (adds books, updates reading etc). Then when I go to the ereader tab, and press eject, it tells the there is a problem ejecting, and then starts another synch without me pressing the synch icon. If I leave it for a while and try ejecting using the above method it starts synching again. Also if I leave it and do nothing it will start another synch.

Also while synching it is trying to put books onto my glo that are already on there.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Jackastor,

Sorry I was'nt as clear as I could have been with the synching problem.

I open the desktop and attach the glo, and it synch's (adds books, updates reading etc). Then when I go to the ereader tab, and press eject, it tells the there is a problem ejecting, and then starts another synch without me pressing the synch icon. If I leave it for a while and try ejecting using the above method it starts synching again. Also if I leave it and do nothing it will start another synch.

Also while synching it is trying to put books onto my glo that are already on there.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem?
I think that was why the suggestion to remove the desktop application completely and then to re-install it was made as this seems to clear up some issues with the application. If this doesn't help, then there are other steps that can be taken. Reformatting the SD card outside of the Kobo with the SD Association formatter, doing a factory reset on the Glo, sacrificing a chicken at the dark of the moon. Well, maybe give the last suggestion a miss.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

The others have suggested fixes for the desktop syncing problem, which I agree with. I have seen something similar a couple of times. The first time I just left it until it finished. The second time I killed the app. After that it was ok.

As to the "KoboExtStorage" directory, I hope you meant it is on the SD card in your Glo. This is a directory created by the device when it sees the card. It is used to store cover images of books on the SD card and as overflow storage if the main memory becomes full. You can delete it, but it will be recreate the next time the device sees the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Nascarfan1972
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As to the "KoboExtStorage" directory, I hope you meant it is on the SD card in your Glo. This is a directory created by the device when it sees the card. It is used to store cover images of books on the SD card and as overflow storage if the main memory becomes full. You can delete it, but it will be recreate the next time the device sees the card.
I also have a copy of "KoboExtStorage" directory on my C:\ drive which after checking has nothing in the kepub subdirectory, but 337 files with the .parsed extension in the images subdirectory, which are taking up 36kb on my C:\.

The "KoboExtStorage" directory was created/last modified on the 25th May 2013, and before anyone asks, no I did not copy it from the SD card to the C:\.

Thanks
Nascarfan1972
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Have you tried deleting it or renaming it. I don't have that directory, and even if I did I don't think you have to have it.

Delete it and see if it comes back

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes delete it and see if it comes back. But, are the file names random numbers and characters? Or do they start with "file____mnt_sd"? Or are bot there?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
Nascarfan1972
Banned

The file names are as follows:

_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_FULL.parsed with a size of 384kb
_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed with a size of 38kb
_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed with a size of 9kb

They continue like this with the same 3 file endings with the N£_FULL always the largest file and the N3_LIBRARY_GRID the smallest. The file sizes vary, but they are all in kb.

I have not yet tried deleting the directory.

Davidfor would you like me to zip the directory and PM it to you so you can have a closer look at it?

Thanks
Nascarfan1972

increasing
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The file names are as follows:

_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_FULL.parsed with a size of 384kb
_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_LIBRARY_FULL.parsed with a size of 38kb
_3nfKEbXrEe66dF68DOKDw - N3_LIBRARY_GRID.parsed with a size of 9kb

They continue like this with the same 3 file endings with the N£_FULL always the largest file and the N3_LIBRARY_GRID the smallest. The file sizes vary, but they are all in kb.

I have not yet tried deleting the directory.

Davidfor would you like me to zip the directory and PM it to you so you can have a closer look at it?
No, you don't need to send them. The file names tell me they are cover images for books from Kobo. They might be for purchased books, previews or recommendations. I wanted to check if that was the case or if they were for sideloaded books.

I think I would just delete it and see if it turns up again.

David