Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #46
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
lowing the glowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
That's something I'd love to try to do if I can find the time.
Good idea ! I also feel the brightness too hard. But I don't want to invert the screen "colors", I'm wondering about the battery.
I've to congratulate all of you for this thread and others.
(For French users there is also a good post with several tips) there

Sorry I leave, I'm not a dev

Last edited by Frenchdummy; 04-24-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: I'm not a dev
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #47
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Just tested the this with 2.5, the lowest light level on my device is now identical to the setting the low light plugin forces.

Last edited by ewphoenix123; 04-22-2013 at 02:52 PM.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #48
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post

I got that from the freescale eink documentation. It's usually used to "flash" the screen to remove ghosting. What my "inverted mode" package does is call that eink inverted update code every two tenths of a second, giving you an almost constant white on black display.
Hi Kevin,

Does it mean that there is a difference for the battery autonomy when we use "night mode" contrary to "day mode" ? when the page is loaded with "night mode" method, the screen continues to be drawn?

And if there is really a difference for battery, why must you used this "update every 2 tenths of a second" ??? eink doesn't stay "fixed"? there is some ghosting ???

Sry for may bad english... i'm french.

Last edited by akorx; 04-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #49
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The reason my night mode hack updates the screen so often is because I don't know when the user opens a menu, turns a page, etc., so I just update the screen every two tenths of a second. The proper way of making a night mode would be to somehow detect when the display changes, and only then invert the screen.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #50
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

ok i understand, thx for the explications...

But why there is a difference with day mode? in day mode we don't know when the user will tocuh the screen too and we don't redraw the screen each tenths.

I think you must talk with the developpers of 2.5.0 firwmare, because your knowledge should help them to develop a good firmware with a lot of functions for ours kobo.
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 AM   #51
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
I think that if the page is refreshed, it returns to be normal, not inverted.

(ps: explanation - developer. Don't worry, my english is not so better, I use Firefox with spell-checking ^^)
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #52
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I found a way to modify the update-request as it happens, so no resources are wasted. As of now it requires an restart of nickel to activate inversion. I'll post it the next days as soon as I can change the mode on-the-fly from within nickel.

Technical info: interposing ioctl() with LD_PRELOAD
yoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #53
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Hey, good work

Do you know if there's a way to suppress the refreshing and add an invert after the page load? I mean, normally the screen is inverted before the page is displayed. With this hack we add another inversion after. It is a simple way to get the things working, but it will be less resource consuming if the page will be displayed, and inverted after it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #54
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
Just tested the this with 2.5, the lowest light level on my device is now identical to the setting the low light plugin forces.
Where is the plugin you speak about ?
Which means ? Could you be more explicit, please. By the way I'm not/never Wifi connected. Then I don't have the 2.5 updt. I will wait calibre update.
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #55
tapioco2000
tapioco2000 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
thanks Kevin, it works like a charm!
tapioco2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #56
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

@Frenchdummy: you can find the "plugin" at the first post of this thread.

About firmware, for what I know Calibre doesn't update device firmwares. Furthermore I personally decided to not update to 2.5.0 or 2.5.1 firmware, since they have minor improvements but a huge bug with pdf refreshing.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #57
yoq
Developer
yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yoq ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Hey, good work

Do you know if there's a way to suppress the refreshing and add an invert after the page load? I mean, normally the screen is inverted before the page is displayed. With this hack we add another inversion after. It is a simple way to get the things working, but it will be less resource consuming if the page will be displayed, and inverted after it.
I intercept the update-screen-command from nickel to the display driver and flip the flag that determines whether the screen is drawn negative. So when nickel does a page refresh it just sets this flag and issues the command. All my hack does is invert this flag, so there shouldn't be any unecessary drawing on the screen.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #58
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
But why there is a difference with day mode? in day mode we don't know when the user will tocuh the screen too and we don't redraw the screen each tenths.
In day mode my hack just stops running, so the display goes back to normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I think you must talk with the developpers of 2.5.0 firwmare, because your knowledge should help them to develop a good firmware with a lot of functions for ours kobo.
The official Kobo devs are supposed to be busy fixing bugs. They shouldn't have time to add new features until they squash the well-documented bugs mentioned around the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoq View Post
I found a way to modify the update-request as it happens, so no resources are wasted. As of now it requires an restart of nickel to activate inversion. I'll post it the next days as soon as I can change the mode on-the-fly from within nickel.

Technical info: interposing ioctl() with LD_PRELOAD
Awesome! I knew there was a way to intercept the ioctls, I just didn't know exactly how and hadn't had enough time to look into it fully. I look forward to seeing it!
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #59
akorx
Addict

Kevinshirt, Yok : now exchange about your solution and ideas and update your plugin... on my side I take care to put the beer in the fridge ! if you want i'll send your Champagne and wine from France !

Lucas Malor : thx for your help about my spelling ! if nobody corrects me, i will never progress !

Last edited by akorx; 04-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #60
yoq
Developer

Sorry to have kept you waiting, but i stumbled across an annoying bug in the driver (details in the source code), and it took me some time to understand whats going on.

Anyway, it works now and it should be easier on your eyes and on the Kobo's battery than the old hack. Props to Kevin for the initial research!

Installation:
  • Copy screenInv.so and nightmode.sh to your .kobo folder
  • Change the following line in your rcS (the one in the zip is just an example), from:
    Code:
    /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
    to:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=/mnt/onboard/.kobo/screenInv.so /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
  • Add this line to your kobotweaks.ini
    Code:
    Toggle Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
  • Reboot and it should work
This is licensed under the GPL and was tested on a Kobo Glo with FW 2.5.1.

A word of caution:
This hack has the potential to freeze nickel, therefore, if something goes wrong badly you won't be able to activate WiFi. So I recommend you to activate Network over USB as a backup plan: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...lnet.2FFTP_USB
Attached Files
File Type: zip screenInv.zip (12.4 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by yoq; 04-27-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: clarification