Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
Scion, can you still access the last books reading, the drop down Menu?
Yes. All the stock functionality is there. That doesn't change whether you use autonooter or the manual process.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes. All the stock functionality is there. That doesn't change whether you use autonooter or the manual process.
Oh good! I love those and really couldn't stand not having them before.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 PM   #33
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
I didn't use autonooter when I first rooted. It wasn't available. That forced me to become comfortable with the manual method.

There are some things that autonooter does that I don't want: fingerprint of device changed, stock framework.jar file replaced, app auto install (/data/app), boot animation. There may be some things that it does, that I don't know about.

In general I just prefer being in control of the process. Using ADB to increase functionality gives me an understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. I've been fortunate to never have experienced issues with my device.
Can't fault you there.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #34
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I didn't use autonooter when I first rooted. It wasn't available. That forced me to become comfortable with the manual method.

There are some things that autonooter does that I don't want: fingerprint of device changed, stock framework.jar file replaced, app auto install (/data/app), boot animation. There may be some things that it does, that I don't know about.

In general I just prefer being in control of the process. Using ADB to increase functionality gives me an understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. I've been fortunate to never have experienced issues with my device.
I'm in the same camp. I used Nooter 0.2 originally for mine. Still on 1.0.0. Autonooter went too far for me with auto app installs, boot animation change, Droid X keyboard, etc.

I'd like to have the currently reading button start working right. But I'm not sure it's worth my effort to restore back to stock, reinstall apps, etc. I prefer mine mostly stock (same reason I'm on the B&N launcher still).

So I guess I remain on 1.0.0 right now. I think I need more substantial changes to warrant me messing around with it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-01-2011 at 03:34 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Pinch to zoom is great; but the speaker still sucks, bordering on worthless.

When are they going to lower the brightness levels? Until then, I won't be using it as a reader.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #36
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

When are they going to lower the brightness levels? Until then, I won't be using it as a reader.
The brightness level is lower, only in the reader app.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I hadn't noticed, so it's still not low enough for me. Thankfully I didn't buy it to read books on.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
So I guess I remain on 1.0.0 right now. I think I need more substantial changes to warrant me messing around with it.
I was of the same mindset, so I know where you're coming from.

My wifi was working perfectly when I was at 1.0. Now it doesn't come on out of sleep mode. Don't know if this mess up is from 1.0.1 or 1.1. The only time I let the device go to sleep is when I retire for the night. In the morning is when I notice it.

If there was no mention of bug fixes I'm sure I would still be on 1.0.0.

Last edited by SCION; 02-01-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #39
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
My wifi was working perfectly when I was at 1.0. Now it doesn't come on out of sleep mode. Don't know if this mess up is from 1.0.1 or 1.1. The only time I let the device go to sleep is when I retire for the night. In the morning is when I notice it.
Does it very reliably fail to connect after coming out of sleep? If so, could you try the permissions change on the ping command? I'm curious as to whether it has any effect. After I made the change, my wifi started connecting on wake until today, it failed just once. But failing once is enough to make me think the ping permissions change would not help. But if you have a consistent problem, you are the better test case. (FWIW, I had perfect wifi on 1.0.1, and there are lots of reports of this wifi issue from XDA folks going from 1.0.1 to 1.1).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Does it very reliably fail to connect after coming out of sleep? If so, could you try the permissions change on the ping command? I'm curious as to whether it has any effect. After I made the change, my wifi started connecting on wake until today, it failed just once. But failing once is enough to make me think the ping permissions change would not help. But if you have a consistent problem, you are the better test case. (FWIW, I had perfect wifi on 1.0.1, and there are lots of reports of this wifi issue from XDA folks going from 1.0.1 to 1.1).
Thanks Z. Each update addresses wifi. I'm sure there will be a wifi "fix" in the next update.

Last edited by SCION; 02-01-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #41
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Yesterday I had some wifi issues. Today its been rock solid. Totally cant explain it.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #42
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I finally got the auto-update on my non-rooted NC.

Definitely like the lower brightness range, even if it is only within the reader. Much better for night reading mode.

They have fixed one of my biggest complaints. Previously when you cleared the download list it also deleted your downloaded books and pictures, which I thought was annoying. Now it works as expected. It gives you a message that it has cleared your download history list. Your downloaded content remains on the device. Also, there is now a download symbol in the notification tray on the home page. Maybe it was there before, but I don't recall it?

I agree that more of my covers are transferring over for sideloaded content. Feedbooks covers show now. Previously I had to do an EPUB to MOBI to EPUB conversion for their books. That was inconvenient (understatement). They haven't fixed the issue that the cover thumbnails still show in the Gallery with the rest of your photos. DRM covers still don't show.

Delete pictures now works. Previously the picture would appear as if it had deleted but reappear when your powered the device off and back on. Now it does not reappear.

The screen does seem more sensitive. I think I liked it before. I keep accidentally opening books when scrolling. That did not happen before. Also I have been typing extra letters on the keyboard.

That's all that I've noticed so far. I just tested some of the items that bothered me the most. Glad that they've made fixes for some of these issues!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I hadn't noticed, so it's still not low enough for me. Thankfully I didn't buy it to read books on.
The only way to lower the brightness below the system settings is to use the reader menu that is displayed when you tap on a book page inside the stock B&N reader app. So tap within a page and select the brightness menu item and use the crappy, ill-effective slider bar to lower the brightness down to almost nothing if you so desire. Thanks to @Care for discovering and pointing this out.

I personaly think the terrible B&N GUI is what happens when you allow marginally literate programmers to design a reader app that sits on top of a marginally designed Android which sits on top of Linux! It is non-intuitive and it is kluge to say the least. Hopefully they will do much better and make the B&N GUI much more consistent when/if they release the updated GUI which includes Android 2.2, although it still won't be a real tablet without more buttons and some input/output ports.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The only way to lower the brightness below the system settings is to use the reader menu that is displayed when you tap on a book page inside the stock B&N reader app. So tap within a page and select the brightness menu item and use the crappy, ill-effective slider bar to lower the brightness down to almost nothing if you so desire. Thanks to @Care for discovering and pointing this out.
I just tried that and it does get much dimmer. Thanks a lot; I appreciate it. I was using the brightness control from the settings page.

Now I can read library books.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #45
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I just assumed you were being intentionally difficult.