Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #46
eythian
eythian began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
One other thing is minor. Just because of the physical size the iPad is harder to carry around (even one room to another). My hand is big enough to hold the Kobo easily and I never feel like I am going to drop it.
Actually, what I like in that vein is that the kobo feels like if I _do_ drop it, it'll be just fine. Even my phone has enough mass to it per size (I just checked, and it seems to weight slightly more than the kobo, but obviously much smaller) that I feel that if I do drop it, it'll be done for. The light plasticy-ness of the kobo suggests that it'll absorb the shock quite happily.

I don't want to test this theory though.
eythian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #47
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
I have to agree with all the folks who do not want all the bells and whistles on their ebook reader(s). As it is, I already have enough trouble keeping to task with all the technology I have around me.

I mean, if I had wifi on my ebook reader, I would probably spend more time reading MR than actually reading books.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #48
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post

But the "non-connectivity" of the Kobo is an attractive "feature" to me.

What do you think?

Clint Bradford
I didn't realize it was non-connected. I agree with you that this is a feature worth considering, except that I think that wireless delivery is an important feature of any EBR (pronounced "eeburr" - we still need a generic name for an ebook reader...)

Now, having given my unvarnished opinion, I will read the thread & probably change it...

======

Okay, read the thread. My opinion hasn't changed. But I gather that the Kobo has a bluetooth connection that allows for some kind of downloading from one's computer. That's half a loaf, I guess, if it operates automagically.

Ideally, though, I'd want to be able to go to the ebookstore, make my purchase, & have it appear the next time I booted the EBR.

One thing that struck me about the Kobo when I handled one at Borders last week is how light and easy to use it is. If it had been Amazon rather than Borders, I would have bought it on the spot.

Last edited by Harmon; 07-19-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #49
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoda View Post
I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I had a chuckle when I saw your DRM FREE avatar in conjunction with your love of the iPad. You sir, win the Mixed Message of the Year award

I too really enjoy the trimmed features of the Kobo - two thumbs up in my book (nyuk nyuk nyuk)
You are absolutely correct that the iPad is anything but DRM free. And yet, because it runs so many apps for reading, it has the effect of being DRM free. A paradox.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
features, kobo