Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
will the price of 1000s decrease?

the kindle DX will be released on June 10, 2009 (is it said in autumn before?), so when DR become cheaper? BTW, kindle DX is only available in US?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Grimulkan
Lord
Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Grimulkan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Q1 (on way out), PRS505, DR1000S (dead :<), TC1100 (10'' perfection!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
the kindle DX will be released on June 10, 2009 (is it said in autumn before?), so when DR become cheaper? BTW, kindle DX is only available in US?
I don't know for sure, but iRex had this to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel
Now in regard to the price, I can say that we are very well aware that the price is an important element in the buying decision, and that the iRex readers are on the high-end of the price range, but in contrary to Amazon or Sony, we do not have any other revenue streams to compensate a lower price or even subsidize the devices, like Amazon does.
Doesn't mean anything, but thought it might be relevant.

I think the Kindle is technically only available in the US, although you could have it delivered outside as long as you are willing to give up Wispernet access.
Grimulkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would imagine that a large component of the price of the DR is the Wacom touch screen, which the Kindle of course doesn't have.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimulkan View Post
I don't know for sure, but iRex had this to say:

Doesn't mean anything, but thought it might be relevant.

I think the Kindle is technically only available in the US, although you could have it delivered outside as long as you are willing to give up Wispernet access.
Hi Grimulkan, nice to see you again. Just like what I had thought, irex won't decrease the price much. I think this is because irex is a small company and although they have the first large-screen reader, but they don't become popular in this industry.

I am not sure I am right, but i still think 9.7'' is small to read technical or academic papers. Do you think so? so i have to choose irex DR. Anyway, I can make notes with DR by paying more money.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I think this is not a good time to buy a dr1000. We know that PVI is currently producing 9.7" screens (the kindle dx will start shipping on june 10th), so we can likely expect jinke, netronix and sony to release their own 9,7" devices very soon. Amazon has priced the kindledx at 489$ and if sony and the other manufacturers want to be competitive certainly they can't price their new large screen readers much more than 500$.
I think that Irex very soon will low the price of the dr (and that of the iliad too), however I'm not expecting a "big" decrease in price, maybe they will just come back to the original price of the dr (when the dr1000 was first released in September 2008 it cost 100euro less than the current price).
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
however I'm not expecting a "big" decrease in price, maybe they will just come back to the original price of the dr (when the dr1000 was first released in September 2008 it cost 100euro less than the current price).
That's right, that is what i agree to!!!! but 100EU.....
Old 06-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
I think that Irex very soon will low the price of the dr (and that of the iliad too), however I'm not expecting a "big" decrease in price
That's my take on it as well. They are very aware that they will start having competition soon with a relatively similar screen size, but they also are too small of a company to get into an out right price war with Amazon.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
That's my take on it as well. They are very aware that they will start having competition soon with a relatively similar screen size, but they also are too small of a company to get into an out right price war with Amazon.
Welcome to bankruptcy then...
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post
Welcome to bankruptcy then...
No, there are other things you can compete on besides price, like features. The DR still has a lot of functionality that the DX doesn't. Some people may be more interested in the lower price of the DX, but others will need/want the features that the DR has.

The iLiad was always a lot more expensive than the other first gen devices, and iRex still managed to do alright.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iRex products are squarely aimed at business, rather than home users. Price is really not so much a consideration in that market - businesses will pay a high price for products which can increase productivity.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
No, there are other things you can compete on besides price, like features. The DR still has a lot of functionality that the DX doesn't. Some people may be more interested in the lower price of the DX, but others will need/want the features that the DR has.

The iLiad was always a lot more expensive than the other first gen devices, and iRex still managed to do alright.
Can I say DR is more for professional purposes?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Can I say DR is more for professional purposes?
There are people that use it for personal reading, but it would be a fair statement to say the product in general is geared more towards business applications.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Does it really matter how you label it? It's still an ebook reader.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
I'm afraid I disagree. That really is the reason that it's so much more expensive than dedicated eBook readers. It's a general-purpose device, one of whose functions is to read books.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
True. It has more to do with how they price and market it, than whether or not it's an "ebook" or a "business document" reader.