Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Some HTML Mobipocket desktop/Cybook questions

I'm working on the second book I want to put into Mobipocket format from text.

Perhaps because I maintain a couple of website I prefer to put the text into HTML and then run it through Mobipocket Creator rather than use Book Designer.

I've done an early partial draft of the book, put it through Mobipocket Creator, and read the result with Mobipocket Reader on my desktop and on my Cybook. It seems to me that there are subtle but important differences between the two. Amongst other things the kludge I am using for indented text works well on the desktop reader version, but on the Cybook version it is indented much too far; about a third of the page.

Also, h2 headings appear larger than h3 headings, as of course they should, but they also appear noticeably 'thinner' -- as though the h3 headings have been bolded.

My questions are
- Is there indeed a difference between the Mobipocket Reader for desktops and the reader for Cybook Gen3?
- Is there an effective (preferably non-kludge) way of getting indented text on the Cybook which is not too much indented?
- Is there an effective way of having headings of various sizes but the same body weight?
- What's a good book on typesetting (eg use of em dashes, centering titles)?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
- Is there indeed a difference between the Mobipocket Reader for desktops and the reader for Cybook Gen3?
Probably. I noticed the desktop version has better table support, and it also supports the ALIGN="poetry" attribute.

Quote:
- Is there an effective (preferably non-kludge) way of getting indented text on the Cybook which is not too much indented?
Just using <P>...</P> will give a default indentation in the first line and some space above. The indent amount can be changed with WIDTH=... and the vertical space with HEIGHT=...

Have a look here (and other sections).

Quote:
- Is there an effective way of having headings of various sizes but the same body weight?
I think you can use <FONT SIZE="+1"> and the like. I like to use just plain <HX>, adding <B> and <I> when needed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, Jelby. That's most helpful.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote